Working Bedlingtons 2005

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Frank Buck talking about the early fell/patterdales had this to say about coats, he's talking about 80years or more ago

“They had a lot of bedlington in them in those days†said Frank, “all the fell terriers did. They couldn’t stand the cold. Not if it was blowing, frosty, snowy stuff. Could they buggery!! It used to blow their coats, they used to starve but he bred them down to a good coat in the end. He put Sealyham into them and bred off that until they got lovely coats,

see were your coming from pickaxe and rightly so winters were winters then [cold exposed places them fells/dales] but the question of coat in bedlintons today well its still the same, in my opinion its not the end all job just my opinion, but i think work comes first if youve got both all well and good. but you.ll be lucky rant over.cheers byron

Sure thing Byron, he'll never get to them all, and he's like a bulldozer at an earth. But as I said, he sees his fair share, and he bosses them when he does.

Shame about the size really, If I let him go to every one we come accross, its a matter of time before he digs himself too far on and don't come back out.

Sure thing Byron, he'll never get to them all, and he's like a bulldozer at an earth. But as I said, he sees his fair share, and he bosses them when he does.

Shame about the size really, If I let him go to every one we come accross, its a matter of time before he digs himself too far on and don't come back out.

chance you take david. heres milly sj bred fourteen and a half inches worked her last fox [unintentionally at thirteen plus years died one day later :wallbash:

post-945-1207945230.jpg

• Like 1
October 2005, I had my first fox with Milly... feck me that seems ages ago... and a lot of foxes ago...

Right from that very firts fox I knew I had a handful of dog to work with, alway right up and at them either killing and drawing them, killing them in tight spots, getting stuck in in tight spots :blink: or whatever... Since day one she has worked hard......

January of this year she had a proper pasting, nearly losing her life... lost most of the left side of her face and her top canine... kept her of for the rest of the year up until I came to Ireland.... On the second dig here she had another hard do and lost the other top canine.... I've had and seen dogs work with no top long ones, but these were mostly bayers and would only get in at the end of a dig when you broke through... Milly's style of working however is 'up and at em and mixing it from the off...

irishnew085.jpg

Yesterday, she entered and was baying away... had a mark of 1.0 on the box... started digging lil bit hard and dry at first but got easier, anyway by the time we had broke through to her in the same place the box was reading 2.1, again she was stuck into it...

irishnew082.jpg

Lifted her, finished the job of, backfilled and away to go... :clapper:

Got back to the kennels gave Milly a shower to check her wounds and clean her up... checked her teeth.... more gone.. FAAARK.. she's only got 3 lil teeth left in the top of her mouth....

'Foxes make good dentists'

I think, I know, I have to retire this bitch.............. or I'm going to regret it... What do you lads think...

Some pics of her before the dig...

irishnew063.jpg

Earlier in the morning..

irishnew006.jpg

irishnew008.jpg

Retirement... ???

irishnew060copy.jpg

what collar is that and can i get one.?

chance you take david. heres milly sj bred fourteen and a half inches worked her last fox [unintentionally at thirteen plus years died one day later :wallbash:

Cracking photo Byron, can I ask, did you ever breed from her ??

Foyrious it's a Bellman & Flint collar, have a look at their website......

Cracking photo Byron, can I ask, did you ever breed from her ??

Foyrious it's a Bellman & Flint collar, have a look at their website......

tried sj with les/r dog[very small type] g/n bred, but she would not have it. must say that milly of yours very close resemblanse[spelling] any of your old stuff bron x williams cochyne still about. very hard dogs out these. i remember nickies [buster] coming to grief. if you ever see/hear from nicky tell him bitch pup i got of him is still on the go just turned fifteen. cheers byron

Frank Buck talking about the early fell/patterdales had this to say about coats, he's talking about 80years or more ago

“They had a lot of bedlington in them in those days†said Frank, “all the fell terriers did. They couldn’t stand the cold. Not if it was blowing, frosty, snowy stuff. Could they buggery!! It used to blow their coats, they used to starve but he bred them down to a good coat in the end. He put Sealyham into them and bred off that until they got lovely coats,

Tag has a wooly coat but really thick, he hasn't been worked for six weeks and his coat needs stripping out I prolly do this in the next week or so, the other pic is the bitch who had mange coat is coming on well...

some pics from yesterday... Tag!!!

012-1.jpg

023-3.jpg

025-1.jpg

Lucky...

034-1.jpg

027-2.jpg

021-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

Tag and Lucky, what's going on here then :whistling: methinks she might be breaking down....

010-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

Out for a stroll with Tag and Lucky this afternoon, took the camera as I was intending to take some pics of mates horses with foals..

Anyway I was walking along behind some tin sheet fencing when Tag and Lucky flew in through a gap in the fencing, bit of a rucus in the bramble bush and then a squeal, I thought fcuk they got a cat, :icon_eek: after scrambling over the fence not so easy when my leg is just out of plaster, I'm faced with this :icon_eek: Tag had got it by the throat and lucky on the arse end, I give a quick clean headshot to end it's suffering. Big dog fox it was, very much underweight...

footy003.jpg

footy008.jpg

footy009.jpg

:clapper:

I keep patterdales, but if I genuinely thought an outcross to another breed would improve the working ability of the dogs I keep i'd do it, and like you said people can call them mongrels if they want.

Whey hey.................excellent.

I started this thread because I work Bedlingtons or Bedlington Hybrids or Mongrels, care I not what others might call them.

If the discussion of what to call them needs to escalate perhaps another thread shoud be started and the same question asked, I'am sure it has been discussed and argued over at length before and to quote Hybred (on my first page) 'it gets quite boring'.

Answer it here if need be, but I'd rather read and dicuss workers and see pics of workers be it purebred or crossbred.

CHEERS Limb, I'm glad someone not from the Bedlington scene answered.

swansea jack I really enjoyed reading about the beds i`ve just bought 2 for the wife rillington- glover strian. i have lakies black fells and a couple of russels. I cant wait to take the beds out for a days hunting oh i have a lurcher too . Rob...

:clapper:
I keep patterdales, but if I genuinely thought an outcross to another breed would improve the working ability of the dogs I keep i'd do it, and like you said people can call them mongrels if they want.

Whey hey.................excellent.

I started this thread because I work Bedlingtons or Bedlington Hybrids or Mongrels, care I not what others might call them.

If the discussion of what to call them needs to escalate perhaps another thread shoud be started and the same question asked, I'am sure it has been discussed and argued over at length before and to quote Hybred (on my first page) 'it gets quite boring'.

Answer it here if need be, but I'd rather read and dicuss workers and see pics of workers be it purebred or crossbred.

CHEERS Limb, I'm glad someone not from the Bedlington scene answered.

swansea jack I really enjoyed reading about the beds i`ve just bought 2 for the wife rillington- glover strian. i have lakies black fells and a couple of russels. I cant wait to take the beds out for a days hunting oh i have a lurcher too . Rob...

Get some pics up of them, let's have a look..