Working Bedlingtons 2005

Ey up all you Bedlington owners... this post has gone quiet for a bit :icon_eek: anybody doing any work with them any updates on breeding, pups etc...

WHERE HAVE ALL THE BEDDY OWNERS GONE... ???

Anyway, I've been over in the emerald isle for a couple of months now... seen a lot of different terriers doing some work... we've recently started our Autumn hunting having had 3 brace when out with hounds... haven't used Milly that much with the hounds as we've been out on Sundays, mid week as well.... I've been out with quite a few different terriermen over here, all with probably the same notion of it's a bedlington,,,, not up too much... :icon_eek:

anyway she has worked well, and always right up to her quarry, I think she's opened a few eyes over here...

Tag is still a bit slow, keen enough, but I'm not happy with him as yet, still a bit puppyish and shy round other dogs... Gonna give him some time and more outings........ hopefully he might shine...

this is Milly after we dug her at 3' in one part of an earth, come down on top of her blocked the fox in with a spade before we shot it, only to find she had dissapeared back down the tube, we then picked up a mark further down and after an hour or so digging broke through at 5' ish to her firmly attached to another... I was chuffed, the other lads were impressed. :D

nigelcopy406.jpg

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Looking good NV...

Here's another morning, Myself Huntsman and his missus out early before the sun rose...

The hounds had run a kale field and marked to ground...

Hounds held up in the field at the mark..

nigelcopy363.jpg

The Jack having a dig, one hound sneaked passed the huntsman while he was taking pics... the dig was only 0.5 on the box but it was like digging concrete...

nigelcopy364.jpg

Dug the quarry with Milly firmly attached, quick humane kill and job done...

Milly whilst I back filled...

nigelcopy368.jpg

back at the kennels before and after a shower and a clean up ...

nigelcopy366.jpg

after

nigelcopy367.jpg

Good stuff S J.

Great to see one of the curly ones doing the real thing.

Thats seems to be the problem in "working" Bedlingtonland - plenty of people calling their dogs "working" Bedlingtons on the back of a bit of bushing or small vermin work. Nothing wrong with that kind of hunting (do it myself) but a Fox at ground has got to be the benchmark to be at least aimed at.

Been out and about yesterday and today with my young dog, going to ground fine, checking a few earths but no one home :angry:

I am a solitary hunter , so everything he has picked up is down to just him and me, I'd have liked him to to stop growing a ouple of inches ago if I'm honest, but on the positive side, he's spanable, has a great coat, nice big jaw and just lives to hunt. Hopefully I can put a few pics up soon with his 1st Fox at ground. :D

While I'm in front of the computer, heres a few old pics I uncovered as I was clearing out my old mums house .

Brings back memories of some old friends long departed.

post-3549-1190574320_thumb.jpg No car in those days, we used to get around on the trains.

post-3549-1190574976_thumb.jpg Lurchers, and Bedlingtons.

post-3549-1190575097_thumb.jpg Solo , Lakie /Bedlington

Looks like you are getting plenty of work SJ :clapper: Millys looking well ! Nice pics David . Just been looking at the blood lines of Cochyn and Bron , had them sent down to me as i am sorting out the blood lines of my dog !Its signed by your own fair hand SJ dated 02/07/93 . It will take me a while to sort it all out but there is info that will be a shame to lose . Good hunting to you both and keep this thread going , will post some pics when i learn how ! :icon_redface:

Edited by alun1960

havent got out with the bedly bitch as shes just had a litter 3 b and 2 dogs but been doing abit with the other the bedy-lakie pup i kept back is comin on very well iam trying to hold him back a bit as hes to keen, hes a strong dog now real solid and will smash a fox to bits so iam tryin to hold him back until he steadys down a bit he just goes mental and has had a few hidings but he wont back only one gear and thats forward hes still ayoung dog so i dont want to spoil him, fat chance i think!! :signthankspin:

Swansea Jack wrote:

>>What's a transitional period.. ? icon_eek.gif

maybe read the posts wrong- it looked like one of your dogs got killed then you had to give away some of them, dont know .

>>I couldn't tell you anything about Gutchcommon lines that hasn't bee written already... Woman from Neath, Swansea used to breed the lines Magaret williamson.. I've seen a few of the type, years back but I doubt that the lines have been kept true anywhere, it's just people use the name when selling pups...

Thats cool thanks.. If i could ask what part of ireland are you in now anyway?

October 2005, I had my first fox with Milly... feck me that seems ages ago... and a lot of foxes ago...

Right from that very firts fox I knew I had a handful of dog to work with, alway right up and at them either killing and drawing them, killing them in tight spots, getting stuck in in tight spots :blink: or whatever... Since day one she has worked hard......

January of this year she had a proper pasting, nearly losing her life... lost most of the left side of her face and her top canine... kept her of for the rest of the year up until I came to Ireland.... On the second dig here she had another hard do and lost the other top canine.... I've had and seen dogs work with no top long ones, but these were mostly bayers and would only get in at the end of a dig when you broke through... Milly's style of working however is 'up and at em and mixing it from the off...

irishnew085.jpg

Yesterday, she entered and was baying away... had a mark of 1.0 on the box... started digging lil bit hard and dry at first but got easier, anyway by the time we had broke through to her in the same place the box was reading 2.1, again she was stuck into it...

irishnew082.jpg

Lifted her, finished the job of, backfilled and away to go... :clapper:

Got back to the kennels gave Milly a shower to check her wounds and clean her up... checked her teeth.... more gone.. FAAARK.. she's only got 3 lil teeth left in the top of her mouth....

'Foxes make good dentists'

I think, I know, I have to retire this bitch.............. or I'm going to regret it... What do you lads think...

Some pics of her before the dig...

irishnew063.jpg

Earlier in the morning..

irishnew006.jpg

irishnew008.jpg

Retirement... ???

irishnew060copy.jpg