Working Bedlingtons 2005

Missed a bit:

"It would be interesting to know from the people that breed Bedlingtons what they breed for, is it for work below or above ground or both?

And for the people who don’t breed but have Bedlingtons what was their reason in buying, for work below or working above? "

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Define terrier :11:

Has the Beddy ever been the earth working, stay until dug to "working terrier?" Or was it the occasional earth dog, sometime draw dog, otter hunting, dog fighting rabbit coursing, bramble bushing try your hand at most tasks "sporting" dog?

Just a thought

Define terrier  :11:

Has the Beddy ever been the earth working, stay until dug to "working terrier?" Or was it the occasional earth dog, sometime draw dog, otter hunting, dog fighting rabbit coursing, bramble bushing try your hand at most tasks "sporting" dog?

Just a thought

<_<

ter·ri·er (tr-r)

n.

Any of several typically small, active breeds of hunting dog originally developed for driving game from burrows.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old French (chien) terrier, ground (dog), terrier, from Medieval Latin terrrius, of the earth, from Latin terra; see ters- in Indo-European roots.] :yes:

Sorry Stabs, couldn't resist that..

Here's part of an e-mail that was sent via PM to me:

"Is it me or am I seeing two distinct types of Bedlingtons here.... ones that look like a terrier or at least look physically capable of going to ground and others that can't, but could do the job of a lurcher albeit probably worse. No disrepect to anyone, you live and learn but to me the Bedlington is a terrier."

Anyone got any views, comments or constructive critiscism on this ??

Well I agree with the whole of that, imo there are two types you will always have big ones, small ones, round ribbed ones, flat ribbed ones etc.etc. Saying that, i believe as an earth dog you have to be more critical in the way the dog is built to enable it to work below ground....due to it’s height the dog needs to be narrow, you need flat ribs, chest not too deep but deep enough for the lungs etc to function correctly, perfect shoulders, long back to give flexibility, strong jaw, large teeth these are just a few points that the Bedlington as an earth dog imo needs, but they are not necessarily needed in a Bedlington that works above ground.

Printer

Just a thought

Just my opinion, in answer to the question: "All of the above"

I'm sure that all aspects mentioned above are qualities you would have historically and to some extent find in a present day Bedlington, all round JOBBER.

I believe that they were used by a range of people from all walks of life for all sorts of jobs, shorter terrier types for earth work, taller ones used for rat, rabbits, bushing etc, maybe crossed back to whippets or whatever and bred to be typical for the work to which the owner was suited.

Originally bred for earth work this dog has served many purposes over the years, I guess different lines excelling at some work and mediocre at others.. Just my opinion.

There are still some that work below ground, and I'm sure there are a lot more that work above ground, I'm of the belief that if it suits you and your line of work then good.

Keep 'em at it... whatever they do...

• Thanks 1
The old saying goes "Horses for Courses"

I agree, as long as it suits... so be it!

or 'Hares are for courses, horses for gambling'

Anyone been out this morning (Sunday) or yesterday?

I was up early this morning, trying to catch a bit of scent before the sun warmed it up too much. Put first fox out of thick gorse Barney took him up and over the hill before he lost scent.

Second came out of reed beds went the same way as first up and over...

Third gave the terriers a good run around up and down both sides of a gully for 15-20 mins before they eventually lost him, as a side note they run this one inside a hedge on the opposite bank to me, as they were yipping and yapping another young fox came out of the fearn and ran parrallel with them for about 40 yards then thought better of it.

Haven't worked this Gully this year and I know there are three good earths here, roll on winter.... as long as some of this litter stays around we should be in for some good sport...

It became to warm then and another two foxes were bushed near the canal but headed out and lost straight away....

Took some pics, but the camera is always in your pocket when the perfect shot of a Fox comes along....

Barney Jack, notice the ground is dry and hard, doesn't make for good hunting