Working Bedlingtons 2005

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

Nice dark dog Mick, how's he bred?

Are you going to try him against something with sharp teeth?

;)

Dont know what to do yet just going to let him get on with what hes doing for now he love his job and works the cover like demon.

Hes rambo / rillington got him from bradford

some more pics

pict0010xy0.jpg

pict0015editedub4.jpg

Cheers Mick ;)

Guest oldskool

i saw rambo at work on a dvd... my mate has a lurcher bred from rambo lines and from what i've seen its a good lurcher!! but i'm not trying to stir dung and cause offense but in honesty i wasnt that impressed with rambo... i thought he threw his tongue alot for a drawing dog!!! :hmm:

Knocked off work at 1pm today - straight home, boots on, muppet on lead (I mean Bedlington :D ) and down to my bit of permission.

The pup was working the cover well If I'd had a Lurcher or a gun with me I'd have bagged a few bunnies.

He doesn't yap when he's on to a rabbit , more of a desperate whining noise.

Anyway, We were working a wood/coppice on a fairly steep bank, which ran for about a mile when he starts

yapping like a feckin foxhound, I'm thinking FOX?, But no, suddenly I see 2 roe deer with Spike tearing after them. Away they went into the distance for about a mile, the dog still barking , but getting fainter and fainter.

I called and whistled for the little barsteward for over an hour, Everything would go quiet for a while then suddenly he'd start yapping again.

To cut a very long story short , He eventually came back, covered in shite, tounge hanging out and looking a bit pissed off.

So, there we have it, one 5 + 1/2 month old Beddy pup chasing a species he has never seen before (he's broken to sheep and cattle) A bit pointless really as he's never gonna catch one.

Do you guys think that after this scenario, he can ever be steady on deer? Because I can see this trait being more than a pain in the arse. :cry:

WELL DAVID YOU CAN KNOCK THE DOG FOR BEING KEEN AT LEAST HE CAME BACK TO YOU, BUT ALL JOKIN APART THE BEST WAY IVE FOUND TO STOP IT IS AN ELECTRIC COLLAR, THIS SHOULD GET THE DEBATE GOING !!!! BUT I REALLY RATE THEM IF YOU USE THEM SENSEBLY.

Cheers Topper but I couldnt use an electric collar on young Spike.

He's actually trained to a decent standard i.e Stay ,sit ,come back and stop biting my feckin toes :11: .

I'm just going to have to live with it (a small cross to bear when you think that some "Beddies" run away from rabbits and mine reckons he's got the taste for venison.)

I'm quite impressed with his nose and willingness to hunt (even though he's a bit too enthusiastic sometimes and runs past his quarry looking for it) Early days though and experience will come soon enough.

I know you shouldnt count your chickens but I will be very surprised if (when the time comes) this dog doesnt work fox. I'm just hoping size doesnt go against him.

I'm totally a one man band at the moment as I know no one who works their dogs round here , so we have no experienced dog to emulate andnothing to gauge success against.

But there is something good about being out alone with a young dog and watching him learn his trade.

Roll on next winter.

On the subject of size (height) - a question for Bedlington fanciers - what size are your Dogs topping out at?

My opinion is anything under 16" (as long as it has a narrow chest) can do a job down a hole.

My old Lakie/Bed dog Solo (15 1/2 ") saw a lot of foxes at ground (and a few black and white Foxes :whistle: ) and always seemed to reach his quarry.

But I am a realist and would concede that a male dog with as much Bedlington in as my dog can never reach as many Foxes as say a smaller Fell/Patt/JRT etc.

But I am looking for more of an all round mooching dog i.e Rats, rabbits Fox and the odd bird ;) .

So I ask the question to the good people of this forum - how tall is too tall?

Dave