Working Bedlingtons 2005

Pidge its nothing to do with being "smashed to bits" - My thinking is, if you've got a Bedlington type dog, and you are not averse to letting it kill things (rabbits in your case) then why not let the bugger have a go on a fox?

I tell you what mate , she might even surprise you - could be a bayer or maybe a dexstrous fox killer.

But as for breeding from her? - well let me put it this way - I'll be looking for a bitch pup next year, but I will be looking for a pup out of foxing dogs for this is the only way (and even then there are no certainties- especially in Bedlingtons) to have a chance of a good working Beddy.

If my pup doesnt make the grade (and he will be given every chance to prove himself) I wouldnt get rid (the little bugger has made too much of a lasting impression on us for that) but I'd hand him over to my kids and try again with another dog.

On the flip side - if you found the right cross, I'm sure the offspring would make usefull bushing, small vemin

exterminators.

Sorry if this all sounds a bit condescending its just my opinion.

Dave

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of mates beddy types ?

A couple of digging lads that go to the meeting have been out with Cain this season,the FMWTC meetings where often a place that some found advantageous in sourcing stock,days in the field,like minded

Tango mid 90's Dam of Yogi

Posted Images

My male was bought as a pet for the daughter too...that was my excuse, anyway. Stayed that way the entire time - but I'll tell you, he went to field as well, and turned out to be a pretty decent dog. He wasn't a bayer, but would dive right in, and he took alot less damage than the Patterdales. It may have been his size - I tend to think it was his alligator mouth and his reflexes - quick as a snake, and when he bit, something had to give. I don't know if all that hair helped, but he never came off the worse for wear, but the little black bitches would show damage much more than he did...they bled more as well.

In the field - he was tough to work with other dogs...excited, he would bite whatever moved, and was a handful to pull off...in the house, he could be carried upside down by the daughter and not move...

I say give the bitch a try - I think you'll find she doesn't come back a banged-up, bloody mess - especially the first time. She may bay, she may not - but I found my dog worked a little smarter than the Patterdales - kind of like fencing - and waited 'til the right opening.

I haven't yet read my way through this massive topic, so sorry if it's been covered, but are there any good strains of working Bedlington left in England? The Rillingtons are long gone, aren't they, and the Gutchcommons? I believe there is the odd one about, but are there any breeders turning out a good percentage of solid workers.

Why oh why would you be looking to breed from her.... ??

It hasn't done anything ??? :blink:

sozzz i didnt realise they had to be smashed to bits by foxs to have pups read the forum I want a working beddie for myself and keep this one for a pet its from workin stock so im half way there.

or are nickys dogs pets????????????????????

He Says not!!!!!!!!!!!

Or does it make them better mothers when theyve fought a FOX .

who put you on your high horse ????

Have I said that it has to be smashed or anything like that?

I've known Nicky for the past 15-20 years and you will probably do well to ask him... If you want a pup from a working background why not go back to him and get one, save you the heartache and the grief of rearing a litter of pups, pups that you would have trouble in selling, unless you were selling them as pets...

no-one has answered your post for a stud for your bitch, because I'm guessing they don't want to breed from it...

not having a go at you, just pointing you in the right direction......... DO YOU REALLY WANT A LITTER OF PUPS ????

If I know of any upcoming I'll let you know... :blink:

Why oh why would you be looking to breed from her.... ??

It hasn't done anything ??? :blink:

sozzz i didnt realise they had to be smashed to bits by foxs to have pups read the forum I want a working beddie for myself and keep this one for a pet its from workin stock so im half way there.

or are nickys dogs pets????????????????????

He Says not!!!!!!!!!!!

Or does it make them better mothers when theyve fought a FOX .

who put you on your high horse ????

Have I said that it has to be smashed or anything like that?

I've known Nicky for the past 15-20 years and you will probably do well to ask him... If you want a pup from a working background why not go back to him and get one, save you the heartache and the grief of rearing a litter of pups, pups that you would have trouble in selling, unless you were selling them as pets...

no-one has answered your post for a stud for your bitch, because I'm guessing they don't want to breed from it...

not having a go at you, just pointing you in the right direction......... DO YOU REALLY WANT A LITTER OF PUPS ????

If I know of any upcoming I'll let you know... :blink:

Sozz if I sounded abrupt I just thought that a working dog with working background would already have it in them but I suppose each individual has to prove itself.

its just the way i read your reply it felt like a kick in the nuts. :icon_redface:

Id be greatfull if youd pass any upcoming litter details onto me. :victory:

There's lot's of Good Looking Bedlington's In this Topic ! And a whole bunch of good reading, Thank's to everyone who shared the picture's and Info. on there Bedlington's, There an Interesting Terrier Breed you dont see em to much here In the State's and the one's you do are for "Show". Take Care !

if anybodys interested i have a litter of bedlington x lakelands from good working stock there rillington xgould/middleton lines and my bedlington was brought as a pet but will work everything and does so at least twice a week she s a crackin little bitch but can be as hard as nails equal to any pat or laky just don`t go around advertising the fact.

if anybodys interested i have a litter of bedlington x lakelands from good working stock there rillington xgould/middleton lines and my bedlington was brought as a pet but will work everything and does so at least twice a week she s a crackin little bitch but can be as hard as nails equal to any pat or laky just don`t go around advertising the fact.

Any pics of sire & dam... :signthankspin:

i have never put a picture o her before so fingers crossed this is the mother and she stands 13.5 inches also a couple of the pups

there ya go Topper...

Tell us how they are bred again, how old is the bitch and sire, have they done much ??the bitch dont look like it has!

SV2002421.jpg

SV2002461.jpg

SV2002641.jpg

thanks lads , the bitch came from swansea and is rilligton lines and the dads is gould/middleton chocolate lakeland, the fathers about 5 now and has seen a lot of work the bitch is 2 and has done mostly fox and a bit of ratting shes a bit scared up under her chin and has quite a scare on her back leg but shes good at boltin foxes id love to know her secret but she soon has them out and running , the dad s a fighter and has plenty of scares on him and only half his nose you will always end up diggin to him he won t move and has killed underground a far few times

There's a load of shite going on at the moment... so here's an account of what I got up to today!!! All legal and above board...

At 9:30 this morning I was up in arms with something some twat had posted on a hunting site... :boxing:

At 9:40 I had a call from a chap that was looking after a shoot (call it what you will) some game birds on there, some wild birds on there!!!!

A fox problem, foxes had been taking birds from this area, they needed controlling....

Of I go Lurcher, gun, terrier, oh and another Terrier that was good for bushing.......

work a few dense covers, saw a few foxes... couldn't leave the lurcher of, coz that wouldn't be legal :wacko:

couldn't get a shot into them either...

Young lurcher bitch, Eva, half marks an earth, one that we had successfully accounted for a fox last year..

aebay025.jpg

aebay026.jpg

Milly the bedlington, who had been on the lead for this part of the day, was let of and entered, after working through the earth, it was found nothing was to ground... she was keen but worked it through entering and exiting most holes...

aebay033.jpg

aebay029.jpg

Off to the next patch, Barney the mongrel, bed/lakeland * Whippet/bed goes trashing through the cover working right up the arse of a fox..... lurcher flying around all shapes, Milly on a lead :hideingbhindcurtian:

Anyways, again we missed this one.... spot the Barney?

aebay022.jpg

Couple of hundred yards away we hit another big patch of Gorse, Barney and Milly enter at diiferent places, give them a couple of minutes and whoop whoop, Barney's in full cry..... Like a fecking hound he is !!!

Lurcher get of slip and she's away... :whistling2: around the other side of this gorse bank... all of a sudden I hear Milly, nowhere near the other two... full on baying and scrapping.... then quiet, then baying...

The other two have gone, for what seemed ages but prolly only a few minutes....

Lurcher comes back to me, no sign of Barney... gives him some time then I can hear him in middle of gorse, Marks like a hound this one ... Hands and knees job.... under the gorse... through the fecking bramble and I find him, on the entrance to an earth that I had never seen before....

Lurcher was there as well...

aebay040.jpg

After removing the lurcher and Barny I have a listen and can hear Milly baying for Wales.... checked through the gorse for more holes, none except for the ones appearing in my legs... they do hurt if you haven't got leggings on... Gorse that is...

Wish I had a B & F at this time, would have save a hell of a lot of time, anyway after trashing a load of gorse I get a mark of a foot, :clapping: and could hear the bitch baying, not mixing, just baying... opens up to her and she's squeezed in tight , clears around her, pulls her out, she's taken a bit of stick but ok... :boxing: ... opens up the tube and lets her push on... didn't need to the fox wasn't far in...

aebay043.jpg

He was round a bend and giving the bitch what for... I thought enough is enough, she had done her job so I removed her and waited for him to show his head for a middle parting, :doh: no he wasn't coming...

Took Barney off his lead... ( fecking meat-head) removed the shovel and let him in..... :thumbup: up he goes and what was milliseconds he was drawing the fox out, lurcher & Milly bailing in over the top, should have secured them better... :hmm:

A big Dox fox, cleanly despatched with a 4.10,.... in amongst the riot

aebay062.jpg

Barney...

aebay059.jpg

Milly

aebay081.jpg

Backfilled the hole... tidied up, crawled from out of the gorse, hopefully the other one that they had put out from this bit of cover will oblige and go back to ground in this earth.... I love digging a foot !!!!

Good hunting

SJ..