free feeding?

Guest mongo

I like to see a dog leave it's bowl 'spinning' after a meal, for all the above reasons, hate to see fussy an picky eaters. As pups my dogs are taught to eat all in front, if they lift their head from the bowl I have an older dog ready to 'pounce', three times with not a lot to eat usually does the trick.

Suffice to say, my retired dogs have always ended up livin a fireside life with me Mam. She basically 'Free' feeds, dogs with food in their bowls all day, it always suprises me that the dogs brought up my way have settled in to her's very quickly without putting on weight, turning very picky, even fussy under this system with very little excercise??

Believe it or not, I've a mate who free fed his Labrador. There was a big open bag of kibbies in the house, and he also got a daily meal of tinned food. He was the leanest, fittest Lab I'd ever seen. Anyway, the bloke got a Lab pup that had the typical Lab food obsession, and it quickly became as fat as a fool, so the free feeding stopped.

The idea is a good one: the dog can regulate its intake without any stress or worry about food. It won't work for all dogs, though.

I've got Borders and they get a handful of biscuits on a morning out on the yard then are fed their only meal at tea time. If feed was left down they'd end up fat as they put on weight very easily.

I thought that terriers loved to kill rats! how can you have a rat problem? :hmm:

As i said jmo my friend had 4 terriers and a lurcher in his kennels and still had rats underneath, he wasnt worried about the dogs but just how close the rats were to the houses.

If i free fed i'd have a bloody great fat lurcher & an anorexic terrier. The terrier picks at her food, if she don't eat it then she's obviously not starving so it gets picked up & mixed in with the next days feed. Simple as that. :whistling:

Guest mongo
Sounds like plain lazyness to me..............rain :hmm:

Nothing of the sort. I probably spend more time with my dogs than most, it's just that they do so well free feeding.

Maybe I spend too much time with the dogs and without knowing about it I'm eating their food, it would explain the few pounds I've been putting on! :tongue2:

Guest foxtrack
I thought that terriers loved to kill rats! how can you have a rat problem? :hmm:

ive got to add to this you may bee interested

a owl in a south wales hawking centre would jump from her perch

and grab the dead rats thrown in to her,grab one in each foot ,return to her perch and eat them with gusto

but no more ?

while on her pperch asleep rats eat her toes off.

and she sat there and dident know what to do :yes: