CREE bulb upgrade for Mag-Lite 4D - review

As the title suggests, I've just invested in a 3watt CREE LED upgrade for my Mag-Lite 4D. I'm currently updating/ upgrading all my lighting solutions and this seemed like a fantastic way to keep an 'old faithful' torch up to date.

I bought my bulb through eBay from a seller called thetorchsite, it only cost me £13.50 and arrived in just 24hrs! (I'm in no way connected to the seller, just seems fair to give credit where it's due!)

I ordered it in the small hours of Friday morning so imagine my suprise when this dropped on the mat today

envelope.jpg

I was so excited I couldn't wait to finish my breaky to play with it and weetabix went mushy!

Item was well packaged in a tidy little box and bubble wrap

IMAG1193.jpg

IMAG1195.jpg

Here it is compared to the outgoing halogen bulb:

IMAG1197.jpg

IMAG1198.jpg

and fitted:

IMAG1204.jpg

Now I had high hope for this as it contains a power regulator within its tiny body, meaning throw shouldn't drop much as the batteries slowly die. The standard Duracell D batteries in my torch have been in it for well over a year, and according to their onboard power indicator are about half full. With the halogen bulb in they achieved this today:

IMAG1189.jpg

Photo taken on 'auto' setting at about 11:30 this morning (daylight). A dull orange glow, and the coil of the halogen bulb is clearly visible in the light pattern.

2 mins later, same batteries, same camera, lighting etc.. the CREE bulb managed this:

IMAG1205.jpg

Impressive stuff!!! Now I don't have to replace the batteries for ages as this bulb has massively increased their usable life. Result! :) :)

It was so bright it made the camera auto darken the picture.

Well I waited until dark and tried another test, down the garden with no light at all the view is this:

SDC13491.jpg

With the halogen it's this:

SDC13492.jpg

And with the CREE it's this:

SDC13489.jpg

The difference is clear, and don't forget this is on half dead batteries! The way I see it 4 decent D cells would cost me about the same as this bulb, but now I won't have to replace them half as often as I would've. So within one set of batteries I've saved the cost of the bulb, and the light quality is far superior.

All in all, a complete winner! :thumbs:

I've got another torch I might do a review on too if folks are interested? That one's a mini CREE cheapy Chinese fake 'UltraFire' that I plan on mounting above my scope.

James

• Like 3

It's a good question, however even with the new bulb this is still not as bright as the lamps people use for shooting rabbits/ foxes at night. So ,although I personally have no experience of lamping, I'm assuming this light would still be of use. It's very heavy to mount on a rifle though, so best to be used by a second person spotting for you.

James

• 2 weeks later...