electric question.

right lads,im replacing my cooker.now this may sound a stupid question,but ive seen first hand how electricity can end your life if you get it wrong,and i dont intend checking out just yet.is it perfectly safe for me to.switch of the breaker on my main board for cooker.switch off the cooker switch on the kitchen wall.then just disconnect cable from old cooker and connect to new one?

there no chance power is still there?ive got no fancy electric screw drivers or metres lol i would just flick the main switch to off,but i have fishtank and timers and it would be a wee bit of a hassle.however,if some spark says i should,then obviously safety comes first.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Even though thats correct i'm guessing he'll wait for another members advice...........

if you switch it of at the main box it wil be fine...turn the cooker on after you trip the switch if its off your good to go

Have the cooker on, turn off the cooker trip, see if cooker has gone off, change it and switch the new one back on.............Simples.     If only you were closer.

if you switch it of at the main box it wil be fine...turn the cooker on after you trip the switch if its off your good to go :yes:

Even though thats correct i'm guessing he'll wait for another members advice........... :laugh:
  • Like 6

if you switch it of at the main box it wil be fine...turn the cooker on after you trip the switch if its off your good to go :yes:

Even though thats correct i'm guessing he'll wait for another members advice........... :laugh:

I was tempted to add whilst standing on one foot in a basin of water for an hour :laugh:

As has already been said is safe . Most new cookers should come with the cable connected inside it , this means you have to connect it into the connection unit on the wall .

right lads,im replacing my cooker.now this may sound a stupid question,but ive seen first hand how electricity can end your life if you get it wrong,and i dont intend checking out just yet.is it perfectly safe for me to.switch of the breaker on my main board for cooker.switch off the cooker switch on the kitchen wall.then just disconnect cable from old cooker and connect to new one?

there no chance power is still there?ive got no fancy electric screw drivers or metres lol i would just flick the main switch to off,but i have fishtank and timers and it would be a wee bit of a hassle.however,if some spark says i should,then obviously safety comes first.

the tried and tested method to see if any wires are live is to lick them mate.......... :thumbs:

Aslong as you prove that it's definitely off you will be ok, the easiest way to this without a meter is:

1. Switch the cooker on then knock off the relevant circuit breaker check the cooker is off.

2. Then switch the circuit breaker on again and check the cooker comes back on.

3. Again knock the circuit breaker off.

You will now know you are isolating the right circuit, there's been quite a few people who have came unstuck by going off the labels on the front of the circuit board, they aren't always right !!!

• Like 1