When you get a new terrier

When you get a pup or young terrier do you ever get the feeling that the little fecker is gonna be good?

When you watch them playing and just general behavior are there any sings that you look for?

I saw a pair of lakeland terrier pups that some bloke had at a show not so long ago and they looked like they were gonna work. They were only pups that he was bringing them on probably only 4 or 5 months old but when I looked at them and stroked them I got the feeling that they were gonna be good dogs.

What attributes do you lads recognise as good ones in your terriers?

Cheers lads, JPT :thumbs:

nothing can be taken from the looks or temperment of two pups at a show or anywhere else.

if you havent seen the parents work or know and/or trust the seller then your just throwing caution to the wind buying anything,and ive done too much of the latter.

Guest Ditch_Shitter
What attributes do you lads recognise as good ones in your terriers?

Fact that it's become mine, mate! :good:

To explain that statement a little more clearly; I ~ probably in common with the vast majority of people ~ simply tend only to fetch in what I consider is a good one. I leave the rubbish where it is - or try to.

Ok, I once f*cked up incredibly and bought a couple of rank pieces of shit. I sold them on to a pet homes, where they belonged, in bloody short order. But don't we all hope we 'recognise good attributes' before we buy?

And what are those 'attributes'? I can't talk for the earth moving boys here. They'll tell ye themselves, if they wish. For me though it's simply a Dog I believe will make my favoured physical type. That's generally ascertainable at a very young age. As for the rest of it? Damned if I know how to 100% guarantee anything.

Got my latest one here right now. Bought out of a bucket at a Horse Sale. Gave me a year of wishing I had a gun handy! :laugh: Now she's passed her first season and, over night, transformed! Can't fault her! Wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, I s'pose. But then what does that matter? She's mine. Not theirs. They don't need worry about her, do they? :good:

I see what you are all saying :icon_redface:

I think that the pups I saw at the show were more than likley to turn out good because the bloke had nothing but workers and the pups were out of them. He wouldn't keep crap would he?

Lee Evans said it best mate, Pigeons instinct!

:victory: