Mick Douglas Norfolk Lurchers

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good to hear you speak well of an old Pal,....most of my hunting partners have also gone to ground,...I expect it will soon be my turn to lay quietly under the cold turf.... However, as long as w

Great thread is this and Systema thanks for sharing your stories of a man who will go down in history as a legend of the past lurcher world. I think just by the look of the types MD kept they had an i

Spent a bit of time with Mick in the late 90s.Was introduced to him be a mate of mine Chris who'd had dogs from him since he was a teenager when Mick came down to Kent to buy a generator from Chris's

Posted Images

Just now, Systema said:

Scan 5.jpeg

Paddy and me at newmarket job ,heavy land bolted like rockets ,each dig was 2/3 backed upland shallow compare with the sandy areas we did near ipswich 8 to 10 ft deep sometimes ,my early days again and i only wish i had thought of taking more pics or even doing my videos on you tube .that would have been bloody awesome  .but we got a good drink of the farmer when he saw what we caught ..hapy days with some great teachers ,my pest control training was now about 5yrs in terminix ,then rentokil and 3 more big national to give me the exp of working in pest industry ...20 hard years but i was like a sponge taking it all in . doing big sites ipswich hospital with igrox pest control .and high st retailers etc food factory ,prisons horse racing studs and airports  .this is what i planned for and it all came together .hard slog  but worth it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Systema said:

got a big surprise coming up to PHIL LLOYD ,WAIT  and see mate ......???

a photo s about your shooting news articles  ...ha ha

Get them old pictures up pal👍

• Like 1
On 25/05/2024 at 13:25, Systema said:

That sounds a tad ominous felleh,..🙄 

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 5
6 hours ago, Systema said:

Please don't tell us you're 'Carl williams' in disguise, PLEASE, NO!!!  😄 👍

• Haha 3
On 26/05/2024 at 00:00, Systema said:

I only had mother and  her pup to work and hunt for all our rabbiting trips with paddy (john)..Barleys training had paid off ,when she started working at 16 months with me lamping ,coursing ferreting and shooting two.

for she took foxes too and bambi ,she had the heart to tackle anything ,even walking the woods at night and using my air rifle to knock down long tails ,she brought them all back to hand .Like mick said once when you only have 1 or 2 dogs you spend the time out working them and they get better and better ,(having alot time is not given to each one )

I do believe that is very true, Often I would get a call about a single rabbit, camped up handy to somebodies garden, that they wanted to be removed. In that case, I'd only drop out the one dog, a Jack Russell x springer who was a great rounder. Once in heavy cover, if he pushed the rabbit, he would bounce up in the air with all four legs folded up like an airliner. Happy had been used one out for many years, off and on, even though he wasn't a very fast dog, he made up for it with his bag of tricks. One that springs to mind was his habit of pushing a rabbit hiding in cover forward, then retreating back the way he came. "Happy" would then rocket around the front and await the arrival of the fur bag. If he winded, a rabbit sitting out in its seat he would stalk up one step at a time like a cat and pounced with speed, it wasn't often he missed. I did use him a lot around the nets as he also had the nack of being or getting to the right spot before bunny decided to leave town without paying the rent, lol. The only downside he had was lack of tolerance towards pups or young dogs, if one licked about the chops, had him give one quiet warning growl, and then he would flip them on their backs and shake em like a rag doll. At this point, with ears and tail down, he would retreat to a safe distance until till my temperament and language improved. In that regard, he was a feckn old shit house but  Happy and I spent many a fine afternoon, bolting coneys  That nasty, ingrained behaviour developed, under his first owner. He did however leave  pups that went on to be great bushes.

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 7
On 01/06/2024 at 21:15, toolebox said:

I do believe that is very true, Often I would get a call about a single rabbit, camped up handy to somebodies garden, that they wanted to be removed. In that case, I'd only drop out the one dog, a Jack Russell x springer who was a great rounder. Once in heavy cover, if he pushed the rabbit, he would bounce up in the air with all four legs folded up like an airliner. Happy had been used one out for many years, off and on, even though he wasn't a very fast dog, he made up for it with his bag of tricks. One that springs to mind was his habit of pushing a rabbit hiding in cover forward, then retreating back the way he came. "Happy" would then rocket around the front and await the arrival of the fur bag. If he winded, a rabbit sitting out in its seat he would stalk up one step at a time like a cat and pounced with speed, it wasn't often he missed. I did use him a lot around the nets as he also had the nack of being or getting to the right spot before bunny decided to leave town without paying the rent, lol. The only downside he had was lack of tolerance towards pups or young dogs, if one licked about the chops, had him give one quiet warning growl, and then he would flip them on their backs and shake em like a rag doll. At this point, with ears and tail down, he would retreat to a safe distance until till my temperament and language improved. In that regard, he was a feckn old shit house but  Happy and I spent many a fine afternoon, bolting coneys  That nasty, ingrained behaviour developed, under his first owner. He did however leave  pups that went on to be great bushes.

Get on this Toolebox, you could start a dynasty with your Airliner Bushers, strike it rich and hightail it off into the sunset 

im3.31.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...