out with od

Evening lads,just a catch me up ,don't know if you are having the same scent as me,the last three weeks the drag has been good up until 12'30 poor after that and it get's better then about 3'30,mind you it is a funny time of the year when everything is bedding down for winter,people say to me in the morning ,cold last night, or we had some rain last night, scent should be good,i alway's answer we'll see what the hounds say ,i had two friends come up the weekend from norfolk so i was hoping we would have a half tidy day for them,one of the lads asked me the question as we was walking down the road to the first draw,opening the gate leaving hounds into the field ,i started to answer him ,by the time i had locked the gate behind me ,hounds hit a drag and was away to go ,so the reply was we'll see now, the valley they were in, ran down to the right hand side of us, looking down the valley the guns were on the right hand side ,and the lurchers were on the left,so it was well covered,BUT where the hounds had entered was a third of the way down from the top,hounds were calling well and as you can guess were heading out to the top,where nobody was,happy days,a few of the car follows moved up just as the drag crossed the road followed shortly by the hounds,it came over the cb which direction they were going ,and that they were flying ,at this point i was thinking do i call a friend or take the money,we'll stay here until we can't hear them ,then i'll call for a lift,they had gone a good way then it came over the cb that the drag had turned and was heading back towards us ,the hounds were getting louder and before long could be seen crossing the fields about a mile away,they had come back around behind the lurcher boys,with that came over the cb ,lurchers away catching him going across the field,calling hounds back across to me they found another drag straight away,hounds now were hunting down some fresh cover,they actually pushed another 3 out ,a gun accounting for 1 of them while the other 2 slipped between the rest of the guns,only thing is the hounds split,four hounds headed off down the valley ,while the main pack turned right handed leaving the cover crossing the road infront of the car followers ,up the fields and over the hill,in good view all the time,the drag was keeping close to the hedgeline, crossing back and through doing his best to outwit the hounds ,after about 15 minutes he crossed back over running back into the first cover we did in the morning,the scent by now was starting to fade,they hunted him for a little bit but he did get the better of them ,meanwhile the other four hounds were being watched ,had hunted well, putting their drag to ground further down the valley,by the time i got there terriers were waiting,hounds up on the field ready and waiting,the little bitch was dropped in ,within a minute she was 10 meters away from us,out popped the drag,hounds away putting him to ground again on the corner of the field,no second chance next time ,we crossed over the road to some fresh ground,but as i said at the start of this topic it was that time of day,hounds found one in some gorse hunting right on top of him,once he broke cover, they lost him as quick as they had found him,hitting his line out over two fields and could'nt take him any further, the next cover was the same ,so we called it a day ,i think everybody had a bit of sport on the day,and a good welsh soaking lol,

HPIM1288.jpg

for the boys out in dungannon,thats mulligan jumping around in the front,he knows what's coming

HPIM1284.jpg

this was a pic i took from a week ago ,same out come,did'nt have a second chance

• Like 4

really enjoyed that write up and as for scent and times i find it exactly the same with our pack ,...........morning is good and then goes pritty dead and cant follow no scent and then three oclock bang there flat out again,.... funny old game , have a good season