Question, How many people run purebred running dogs?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any time you would like to run your pure dog against my mutts come along I have the feilds and the game. Oh and my mutts look good they are in shape and run in all weather. Kate I think you should really look at what a purebred show dog really is. A line bred unproven dog bred for money and looks. I do not have genetic defects in my dogs but show people sure do. I raise pure bred border collies as well they look good and are tested at home and the trail feild, I do not show and actually over here if your bordercollie wins a kennel club show his papers are removed. You I am afraid are very uneducated and should think before you speak. If someone thinks you are an Idiot do not open your mouth and prove them right

Now hairybull

Thats not quit right, while the staghound is mostly a plains hunter and believe me mine love it when I can get them out west, I live on the coast and hunt the mountians and use a pur ridgeback to do the finding for my staghounds. All dogs have a nose but my stags only think they know how to use it and usually back track and use their speed to catch up when they relise the ridgeback has gone the right way.

Stevemac

ps I do relize I an in the minority though using a pur ridgeback to do the finding.

Sorry Steve- it came across like that- I don't PERSONALLY know anyone with them- I do realise that over east alot of people use them for piggin and such but I just dont actually know anyone using them or x's in WA. Most of the fellas I run with have roodog/stags. I was actually thinking in terms of coursing- open plain running on fast game. Although my brother has a huge one that I reckon would keep up with my stag!!

:)

just to get back to the original question, on a recent trip out west catching fast game and pigs

Their were 5 Deerhounds, 6 staghounds, 1 greyhound, 1 ridgeback, 2 Am. bulldogs, 1 bull arabx am bd, 1 bullystag and 1 bully/boxerx boardercollier/kelpie So you see amongst me and the mates both get a run.

wouldn't call any of them ugly, as I am a firm beleiver in Beauty is as beauty does. and by the way all the pur breeds are kennel club reg. and I am a show dog judge as well as a hunter

And I am sorry to say Kate the boys are right your comments smack of elelist crap (wish I could spell some times)

Steve

ps no afence taken hairy bull.

Dear Kate

I have stayed well away from this debacle until now, but I'm afraid I must agree with the general consensus of opinion here, which is that you obviously have some sort of chip on your shoulder: not everyone is out to 'get' you, so why are you out to 'get' everyone else? We are allowed different opinions on this forum (believe it or not!)

Are you deliberately trying to set the other members against you? Some of your initial posts would appear to be doing just that!

At the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and in the UK most working dog folks do not run KC registered pedigree dogs as the show strains of 90% of pure breeds are so far removed from their working ancestory as to be a different creature altogether, mentally as well as physically. Compare for example the show Greyhound with its racing or coursing counterpart.)

There are some execeptions of course, Border Terriers being the first one that springs to mind, and there are Deerhound, Saluki and Whippet coursing clubs (or there were before the ban).

I need to tread very carefully here so as not to offend anyone, but I feel that most 'working dog' people over here are of the attitude that these purebred sighthound owners are actually not really HUNTING FOLK. Therein lies the great divide, and a little explanation may be necessary here..................walking out with a club a couple of weekends in a season to watch your dog run a hare or two is very far removed from what most lurcher and terriermen and women would consider to be 'work' here in the UK

Before the ban I think it would be fair to say the true blue dyed in the wool genetically programmed hunting man or woman would sooner die than not be out working their dogs in some form or another. Some folks who lived in towns or cities traveled miles to get their lurchers a run on a hare, or would travel from one end of the country to the other for a day's digging. Some of these people are on these hunting forums, and have been living for their dogs and the work they do for far longer than you or I: my point being: HOW THE HELL DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO ON THE NET?

Just because someone doesn't ramble on for hours about how they did this or that doesn't mean that they are not an expert in their field, be it terrier, lurchers, sighthounds or scent hounds: I'd just be very careful what you say as your comments so far posted do indeed reflect an intolerant and patronizing atitude.

Maybe you are new to the internet (?) and I know it is easy to put people's backs up with off the cuff comments that would maybe not go amiss during conversation, but put it down in writing and you have a different set of rules straight away. I should know as I made several cock ups when I first started posting on the net.

yours in sport

Skycat

Good luck to you Kate, it must be difficult over there finding good hunting stock when nearly all thats been imported is from show lines.

Well I guess we've got the dogs but unfortunately the ban and you've got no ban but unfortunately not the dogs.

It's the same with most things in life, always a compromise ;):D

Shepp

Pointless, absolutly pointless; she comes on here and says,compared to her pedigrees, our dogs are "mutts", "less than lovely" and she "doesn't breed crap", then accuses US of being intollerant and predjudist !!! :no: As I said, Pointless, end of stupid conversation ! :bye:

Pointless, absolutly pointless; she comes on here and says,compared to her pedigrees, our dogs are "mutts", "less than lovely" and she "doesn't breed crap", then accuses US of being intollerant and predjudist !!! :no: As I said, Pointless, end of stupid conversation ! :bye:

hold on a min us predjudist :censored: were not the ones calling peoples dogs uggly mutts etc etc i like the fact that she thinks that just because she breeds pedigrees she isnt breeding crap some of the best dogs i have ever had the plesure of watching work are as she calls them uggly mutts. i have seen lots pedigrees work well too but there owners didnt think they were better than every one else! how dare you come on here with your my dogs better than your dog attitude imo you should shut up now !! :censored:

Mayne we should start a list of once useful working dogs that have been ruined by showing people breeding just for aesthetic reasons and not for physical soundness or mental stability, let alone working ability.

The list of genetic faults caused by breeding for show would be huge, for example, German Shepherds that are riddled with hip problems because some tool decided they would look nicer if they stood funny. Or bulldog bitches that have to have the majority of litters by caesarean section because of those ridiculous oversize heads.

As well as:

Fox terrier

Welsh terrier

Manchester terrier

Irish terrier

German Shepherd

I know this is academic, but it's a subject that really stirs me up but if you want a dog to brush and put ribbons on, buy a fu*king powder puff thing and put a ribbon on it. Don't buy a working breed that you have no intention of working and then re-write the breed standard to suits yourselves.

i can trace my dogs pedigrees kate, so can the owner of them before me, ive nothing against pure breeds but yet to see a pure breed do what my dogs do in the feild daily or weekly in winter ,hopefully some one will, but there not forthcomeing ,as i says im far traveled with the hunting thing and have saw several pure breeds hunt work , but when it comes to the running dogs the old line bred crosses take some beating for catching game bred right to worker to worker and well what else is there to say good to good , but there wouldnt be any crosses without pure breeds all the best ,i to can put pics up of kills but with running dogs and terreirs but well best left to hand picked tight lipped freinds ,

And once again...TOTAL /COMPLETE/ABSOLUTE ***MISUNDERSTANDING*** (deliberate?? :hmm: )of EVERYTHING I SAID!!!

It's obviously IMPOSSIBLE to get ANYTHING *NEW* into ya'lls over-stressed brains.

You've already made up your minds;I'll refrain from confusing you w/the FACTS!

How about you continue to get all your info=doubtless it's GOSPEL=from your granny's girlfriend's hairdresser's plumber's boyfriend,who got it from HIS granny or the guy on the next barstool. :yes:

Hell,you STILL can't understand the definition of *PEDIGREE*! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

smooch :kiss: :boredom:

kate get down of your high horse and take a look at what you have posted surly you can see that people with working dogs peds or not are going to take offence with comments like these. you must of expected this response :hmm: i for one find your comments both patronising and rude. :angry: if we are misunderstanding what you are saying maybe you shuold look at how your saying it!

imo i can see that your saying that why should people breed from none ped gens when there are lots of good ped working dogs out there, but i think what makes a good dog is its ability to do the job regardless of it heratige.

i think kate that most people on here will agree with me that it is you that refuses to think out side the box

if you look at my first post i have both peds and cross and they mean the world to me because of their personality and willingness to work . any dog is only as good as its training

kate you come across that you think you and your dogs are something special and im sorry for you as i am humbled by people on a day to day basis and my life it richer for it !! :yes:

i have nothing else to say to you im not going to waste any more of my time and energy on this shit

i surgest that if any of you think the same to follow suit and ignore her shes just wasteing our time