Scottish Borders or nearby..

Got a young lab (17 month) that has been sound on the grouse and is a bonny dog, started off leaving hares and not even bothering them when the jump up.

Recently he's been watching other dogs chasing them, he started to have a go at them so i just bollocked him when he went for them and making a big fuss of him when he left them.

BUT, today he took the piss propperly, he's fast enough to keep with them but not enough to catch them, he chased a hare so far that he lost me throughout the drive, a mate picked him up though.

Basically im wanting to borrow (maybe rent) somebodys elecrtic collar for a short while, im an honest lad and not going to try and pull a fast one over anyones kindness, anyone that could help please PM me.

Thanks to anyone that gets in touch, cheers Rob

sorry to hear of your predicament mate but why not try a longlead and walk a bit of ground that holdshares/bunnies then "any" attempt the dog makes you got control and can chastise him/her [&i mean really let the dog know!]-billy

sorry to hear of your predicament mate but why not try a longlead and walk a bit of ground that holdshares/bunnies then "any" attempt the dog makes you got control and can chastise him/her [&i mean really let the dog know!]-billy

Ive used a long line befor when he wasn't turning to the wistle propperly but the tugging of the line in the heather etc meant he didn't hunt as he usually would so never really got a chance to correct him. but i'll give it a try with this situation.

its got to be worth a try mate i borrowed a mates pet rabbit for a week and give it the run of my garden and he learnt his ways like that he still hunts them but knows its wrong to chase them when i peep him off with whistle just another little thing to try mate-billy

Im getting the lend of an e-collar on wed so all should be well shortly :thumbs:

you should let the dog wear the collar for 2 weeks a month and slowly build up corrections with it. i would not go out on wed and let the dog on a hare and zap him on full power thats very silly

Im getting the lend of an e-collar on wed so all should be well shortly :thumbs:

you should let the dog wear the collar for 2 weeks a month and slowly build up corrections with it. i would not go out on wed and let the dog on a hare and zap him on full power thats very silly

Ai s much as i would love to do that, i was going to use it propperly.

if i was u i would forget about the hunting part and go back to basics,u shouldnt b taken your dog beating if u cant stop it to the whistle. my own opinion al the best

thats the most annoying part, he did stop on the whistle (still did on the last day i was out with him, but not when the hare got up) and he did leave them when you said 'leave it' . but watching other dogs chasing them has made him think he can have a go too.

Whys it silly ??? It will learn almost instantly whats the point fecking about for 2 weeks of a month on corrections the problems chasing hares :blink:

Will work straight away fella few snaps and the dog wont even look at them again :thumbs:

Whys it silly ??? It will learn almost instantly whats the point fecking about for 2 weeks of a month on corrections the problems chasing hares :blink:

Will work straight away fella few snaps and the dog wont even look at them again :thumbs:

from my expeirance and ive used a collar on few differant types and if you build them up with the collar you can use it for other things away from hares , if u blast him full scud the first time he wears the collar he will fear it after, puting a collar on should be like picking the lead up

Load of pish they dont fear the collar mine never made the connection at all..

I bought sportdog collar, dog wore it twice got blast 3 times and never looked a sheep after than.. Collars in the box.

Dont know why you would build them up, desencitizing them to it.. Its in the name really "shock".

It may be different with gun dogs as they would have to find and flush hares and it may not be an every day occurance but with my lurcher and sheep it was an instant result really :victory:

Load of pish they dont fear the collar mine never made the connection at all..

I bought sportdog collar, dog wore it twice got blast 3 times and never looked a sheep after than.. Collars in the box.

Dont know why you would build them up, desencitizing them to it.. Its in the name really "shock".

It may be different with gun dogs as they would have to find and flush hares and it may not be an every day occurance but with my lurcher and sheep it was an instant result really :victory:

lurchers differant all togeather f**k me a good recall and steady with live stock and your about done

Have to say i agree with both of you, (cammy12 & Giro)

the dog is wearing a normal collar atm as he's never had one on before, he's going to wear the e-collar for a good few days before i even bother turning it on as he won't be on the hill encountering hares. but as Giro said im wanting a few good zaps stopping his chase so that he'll never so much as bother looking at one again. I honestly wouldn't be dissapointed if he didn't pick fur after that as he's not a rough shooting dog, purely for beating.

cheers for the input guys ;)