which 17hmr to buy

Hi, I am awaiting the delivery of my FAC and I've been looking at guntrader and loads of forums.

Obviously I know that I have to go to the shop etc and 'feel' the gun, but I've seen a Ruger for sale, and I like the way it looks. I like the shinyness of the barrel, how small the silencer is, and especially how beautiful the stock is.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/Guns-For-Sale/Ruger_Rifle_M7717_For-Sale_120917134835001

However I am a little dubious as to why it seems so cheap.

Is it ok to buy a second hand 17hmr? Because its a Ruger make, does that mean it should only shoot Ruger ammo? How much should I expect to pay for ammo?

Please help out a female shooter looking to get stuck in when the FAC arrives. I'd be looking to use it on rabbits, but also have fox on the FAC just in case I see one whilst out rabbiting.

And please, with most respect, don't say stuff like you should have gone for .22lr etc - it took me long enough to decide as it was.

Many thanks

Thanks, what do you think of the Ruger M77/17 - any opinion?

How accurate?

I dont want to spend thousands, so I saw this model, second hand, for sale, scope, silencer, sling for £500 - do you think its any good for that price?

Thank you

Hi you need to get to a shop or two and shoulder several makes, including pulling the triggers. What looks good on paper may not feel right in the flesh. The scope and mod on that outfit are only worth about £50/60, so take that into account. As a guide an hmr outfit should group to 1" or less at 100yds under ideal conditions.As long as there is a warranty s/h then no problem. Personally I would look at something european.

neil

Edited by stillair1

Think you made a good choice with the 17 i started with this they are very accurate with the right ammo. Your on the right track i paid about the same for my s/h gun don't be afraid to ask to upgrade the scope when buying best chance to get a deal 16 mag is fine with shooting 150 yards easy and a cleaning kit helps as they get very dirty barrels good luck.

Think you made a good choice with the 17 i started with this they are very accurate with the right ammo. Your on the right track i paid about the same for my s/h gun don't be afraid to ask to upgrade the scope when buying best chance to get a deal 16 mag is fine with shooting 150 yards easy and a cleaning kit helps as they get very dirty barrels good luck.

....and a bore snake!