22 shotgun?

Guest mongo

Guest mongo

Hi there,

In a moment of madness I went out today and ended up buying a 22 shotgun, why you may ask when I have enough real guns to play with to last me a lifetime. I took it home to play with in the garden and then thought of a problem. How can I get ammo for it, I have a box with about 10 left and then I end up with a stick to hit the rats with. Does anyone know how I can get hold of any ammo for my new toy?

Cheers, Mongo................. :cry:

Hi there,

In a moment of madness I went out today and ended up buying a 22 shotgun, why you may ask when I have enough real guns to play with to last me a lifetime. I took it home to play with in the garden and then thought of a problem. How can I get ammo for it, I have a box with about 10 left and then I end up with a stick to hit the rats with. Does anyone know how I can get hold of any ammo for my new toy?

Cheers, Mongo................. :cry:

ask santa

Guest mongo

As far as I know they were used to keep vermin off orchards. Rats, mice and small birds without damaging the trees. The ammo looks like normal long rifle 22 ammo but with a crimped end (looks like a blank but is full of dust shot)

Guest baldie

Whatever you do, DO NOT put a .22 rimfire round in it......unless you dont particularly like your hands attatched to your wrists.

If you ring any old large gunshop up, they should point you in the right direction...try fultons at bisley camp for instance. Cut it into tiny pieces, and feed it to the rats, you will kill more by choking them to death. :laugh:

If you're referring to a .22LR cal. designed for shotshells, rather than a 22 bore shotgun which I'm not familiar with, there're several manufacturers of the .22 shotshells. Federals, IIRC, are crimped as described. CCI makes theirs with the shot contained in a plastic cap. The .22 shotshells are considerable more expensive than standard .22LR, but not outlandish, at least not over here. I think the last ones I bought were around $5/box of 50.

I use 'em mostly for dusting mice in the basement of our cabin. They're loaded with #12 shot and just about worthless beyond 15 - 20 feet or on anything bigger than a field mouse or sparrow at any range. Some folks I know use them for fancy shooting displays - quick draw on thrown objects or floating balloons for example. They can make you appear to be a much better marksman than you are under those circumstances.

You can shoot them in a standard rifled barrel, but they really foul the barrel with lead after a while. Plan on using some Hoppes, a brass brush and some elbow grease if you do that. Not familiar with a smoothbore designed specifically for .22LR shotshells, but they develop the same pressures as standard .22LR so I don't know why you COULDN'T shoot standards out of it, but also don't know why you'd WANT to. IMO the accuracy of a solid bullet in a smoothbore barrel would be unimpressive. Think I'd sooner just throw a stone. :laugh:

Guest Scuba1

There are quite a few ammo factories that make the .22 shot shells, but the biggest problem is training the rats to hold one of their ears to the end of the rifle and hold still for long enough for you to pull the trigger. :whistle: :whistle:

• 9 months later...

sounds like a 9mm garden gun but dont quote me looked at one in a gun shop once intresting little thing

ask the dealer you bought it from

i have used .22lr shot shells what a waste of time and effort did nit have much sucess

.22 air rifle much better or 410