Hi guys was wondering how many of you shoot/hunt with this calibre as i'm thinking of getting one. Have heard it's a good mix of .22.& .177 opinions welcome on makes of rifle/pellet combos though there's not many pellets in this calibre. I all ready have BSAS10 & LIGHTNING XL both in.22 and both great guns. The XL is a very good rat/squirrel/feral gun.

Cheers

I have a great mate and shooting pal here who uses an HW90 GasRam rifle in .20 and it's very effective as an all round pest control calibre. Well worth your time spent pursuing further.

The range of .20 ammunition is improving all the time with the major quality pellet makers adding it to their ranges more and more, so, whichever rifle action you prefer (PCP or Spring/gasram.) you should be well served for ammo!

All the best.

Pianoman

Are there only one good pellet brand at 11g then? If there's more I'd be tempted to swap my mfr over. But if it doesn't like the only pellet at 11, I might aswell go ..22

My mk1 rapid .20 loves h&n ftt ! jsb exacts and crossman prems !

I have a custom built Airvolution in .20 caliber, only available in South Africa and Botswana. A real killer at 950fps with a 14gr JSB, taking geese up to 75 yards, only headshots though.

I had a .22 and .177, both pcp (unregulated on speed) here but they just didn't do it for me. The Airvolution just does the job in .20, like the best of both worlds.

Been a .20 convert since 1996. Wouldn't use anything else in either 12ft-lbs or higher. I run my Rapid at around 900fps (23ft-lbs) and gain extra shot count. I can set her to push them out at around 975 fps (29 ft-lbs), but the shot count HALVES. For a couple of thumps of the foot I would rather have the extra in the tank.

I have three rifles in .20:

Theoben Taunus (break barrel)

Theoben Rapid 12/200

Daystate Huntsman

The other rifle I have is a .22 Theoben SLR and that isn't gong anywhere! BUT I have to force myself to use it over the others, .20 is that much more efficient, both in terms of air use and shootability. You won't regret it. I haven't heard of anyone in recent years who has moved to .20 has gone back to either of the others. It was different years ago, there were all sorts of horror stories about, but it was down to some barrles being useless - you get that with the other calibres as well, but it is always blamed on the calibre with .20 :whistling:

Geese too, but this was with the Taunus at around 11 ft-lbs and 45 paces. Head shot.

goose.jpg

Edited by Acuspell

I would say bet of both worlds and worst of both too ! Each to there own, it's the middle road but I wold say try em all if you can but .177 is definitely a hunting cal and suitable for all uk air rile quarry so don't be fooled into thinking its little and struggles because it doesn't ! All great bits of kit it's what ou get on with best that's best for you !

ATB

Matt

This compromise thing always comes up when .20's mentioned. It's like saying .22 is a compromise between .20 and .25. It's just different, that's all and most pellets weigh closer to .22 so in practice it's much closer to that to use. My 90 favors FTTs which tip in at just under 11.5 grains which suits me just fine. Much flatter to shoot than a .22 and a little more forgiving than .177 if my aims less than spot on.

Edited by andyfr1968

Rapid, all the way. Get e decent used one and it will be a rifle for life - even if it ends up being a dog, don't get rid of it, just use it as a good base to build a good one out of it, it won't actually cost that much to make a poorly set up one sing like a bird, even if it needs some bits. Folks like Kev,Phil pr big Al will make it into somethinng you won't want o part with. Mine is an early Mk 1 and it is utterly reliable and so accurate. Agricultural, maybe, but that is why they last so long.

Edited by Acuspell