• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

they done it in ireland mate for the five nations, judge from 3 or 4 countries and there was still the usual patter after it lol.

Its not that when a show pony wins a show u don't here the hunters goin on about it because it's just a day out  

i thought these shows were just a bit of fun?

Posted Images

Come on vixen you know what I mean, hi viz vest, steelies, hard hat.

Oh right...............i thought you meant more like this kinda thing, sorry........

Here's a pretty one of him winning a show......HANDSOME IS AS HANDSOME DOES...

post-21842-0-11404100-1349442592.jpg

PS, he's also walked the green carpet at crufts :thumbs:

shes a cracker lad atb with her )

IN AN EVENT LIKE THIS WHARE YOU LOT ARE LOOKING FOR THE BEST OF

THE BEST WORKING TERRIER IN SCOTLAND , THROUGH COMPETITON AFTER COMPETITION

AND ONLY THE BEST QUALIFYS, ALOT OF EFFORT BEING PUT IN THROUGH THE MONTHS,,

WHY NOT HAVE INVITES TO DAYS OUT WITH THESE WORKING TERRIERS THAT

HAVE QUALIFYED AND THERE OWNERS ,

AND THE JUDGE ,( SAY IT AGAIN AND THE JUDGE,,), THEN THERE WILL NOT BE AS MUCH

BITCHING AFTER ALL SHOWS ,,,, ;)

LETS PUT THE MONEY WHARE THE LOOKS ARE :bye:

YIS CHANCER

YIS CHANCER

Emm surely you are not serious?? so last year when i judged cock of the north i should have had 38 invites out with terriers?? get a grip..........sometimes there are 50 and more terriers in a ring, maybe some would have the time to go work their dogs legally ie(gamebird conservation) every weekend in season (which wouldn't be enough time) just to judge a show with dogs from all over britain BUT i think you'll find most judges have other committments.........ie." the real world", family,work................geeez and the lurcher judge can take a year out too for judging duties :blink:.........that is of course AFTER all these shows that qualify the dogs to start with ................. :doh: vixen walks away shaking her head............. :unsure:

YIS CHANCER

Emm surely you are not serious?? so last year when i judged cock of the north i should have had 38 invites out with terriers?? get a grip..........sometimes there are 50 and more terriers in a ring, maybe some would have the time to go work their dogs legally ie(gamebird conservation) every weekend in season (which wouldn't be enough time) just to judge a show with dogs from all over britain BUT i think you'll find most judges have other committments.........ie." the real world", family,work................geeez and the lurcher judge can take a year out too for judging duties :blink:.........that is of course AFTER all these shows that qualify the dogs to start with ................. :doh: vixen walks away shaking her head............. :unsure:

YEAH AM SERIOUS,! IM SURE IF THIS WAS THE CASE AND I HAD A GOOD LOOKING WORKING TERRIER THAT I HAD ENTERD INTO WORKING TERRIER SHOWS

OVER THE MONTHS , I WOULD MAKE TIME TO GO OUT TO PROVE IT WAS WORTHY OF BEING CHAMPION, :yes: .

ON THE OTHER HAND YOUL PROB FIND THAT MORE THAN HALF THE TERRIERS AND OWNERS THAT QUALIFYED FOR THE CHAMPS

SHOWS WOULD BE UNABLE TO ATTEND ON THE DAY OF TESTING , ( AT THE END OF THE DAY ITS THE DOGS THATS BEING WORKED

AND HAS TO ATTEND NOT THE OWNER), AND I DONT KNOW HOW MANY DOGS QUALIFY FOR A BEST OF THE BEST SO THATS UP

TO THE ORGANISERS WHO HOLD THIS TYPE OF SHOW, AND PICKING A JUDGE THATS GOT THE EXPEIENCE AND TIME TO JUDGE THE DOGS ; :hmm:

JUST MY OPINION , YIS CHANCER

vixen serious question, do you sell them borders for show money or working mans prices??

is it not true real dog men don't sell there pups they give them to them who are worthy ?

i think folk are missing the point, the title of this thread is 'show standard' i think it's been agreed in an ideal world all entrants would be workers but it's not a working trial it's a beauty show, with the best will in the world we cant judge working ability in a park, so what do we do ? we put an experienced judge in the middle who like us all is going to have his own wee likes and dislikes so right away some folks are not going to be happy. so rather than bicker and fight amongst ourselves lets try some constructive ideas...............why not and i know sometimes it's hard enough to get one judge but would multiple judges from different backgrounds not give a more balanced view ? or.......what about some kind of critique sheet handed to every entrant so they could see what the judge thought, maybe where they could improve or at least what the judge saw as good or bad ? just a couple of ideas if you think their pish put up better ones

Birddog, the question being asked is a hard one to give the full answer to mate, a show standard would mean that every breed would need to have a breed standard, of what dogs entering of that breed should be like (like the kc handbooks) so in that case how could somebody say what size a crossbred sould be or what coat type it should have? or what size shape colour coat type or build of a lurcher? Someone entering crufts if ther wee book says a Lakie should be 15 inches they try breed as close to 15 inches as they can and that's that, then there's the wee workin man livin up in a wee valley in the highlands that needs a wee terrier 11 inches for genuine work, this is why there is no standard in my eyes, people at kc shows don't care if ther dogs are 16,17,18,19 inch cos they don't need to fit anywhere if the wee book says it that's it, so how would someone set a standard for a Lakie for working shows? Or russels? Or borders? When so many people live in so many different parts of our country carrying out so many different types of work on different ground? I agree a dog should be able to move properly have good conformation be of a good size for work etc but what size should it be? We all know generally what size a dog of a certain breed should be or averages at but wel for talking sake say if most lakies are 13-14 1/2 should a dog at 12 or 15 be thrown out? No because there's no standard, a dog can't be judged on working ability at a show full stop, but it's the differences in the types people like, the ground they work etc that gives judges a preference and that's what makes opinions different or the same would always win, one thing a judge must not be is breed blind. Does it matter what work type? No if someone comes in with a rabbiting terrier or ratting it should be judged the same as a foxing terrier but still on its ability to carry out earthwork because after all that was/is the purpose of the breed but a judge as a working dog man should still look for signs of work, I'm not saying put it up because of it a dog has to have the full package, Conformation movement etc is important but would everybody agree that a dog can't be judged properly then if it doesn't walk properly on a lead? How many terriers do you see at shows pulling to the side jumping running round etc when a judge walks them up the line? So their movement can't be judged properly should these dogs be put aside because if conformation movement etc is the be all then these dogs can't be judged properly. A dog should be easily spannable how many dogs win shows that aren't easy spanned but looks the business? Loads. If anybody has any queries about a judged decision why don't they just ask the judge why he picked that instead of that I'm sure they wouldn't be offended I know I wouldn't be, anyway lads it's only a show.

• Like 2

ive been asked on many times to judge ,,,for being in running dogs and family being in lurchers and terriers ,,,since ive been able to walk

ive always declined

why??? cos there so much varity ,,how would i choose to make everyone happy

would i go for rough coated ,,would i go for smooth coated,,,,would i lev a dog out cos it was carrying an injury,,,??? if injury i thought wasnt well treated

i dont read books on dogs just what ive learnt,,will come into play,,,is my experence enough???? who iam i to say this dogs better than the next ???

i thought about it,,,,i can only pick what i would be perpared to take home,,,,and iam mainly keep smooth coats,,,but i hav a love for rough coated dogs,,,so it would be an even thing

but when it boils down to it,,,i would pick the best healthest dog on the day,,,i cant tell if it works,,,scars help but is not 100% it was at its job

years ago judges use to ask questions how dog was breed and age,,,,now there too scared to,,just incase owner think,s ,,,he didnt know how my dog was breed,,,he or she is usless,,,and in lurchers its soo hard to be right 100% of the time

• Like 1

Birddog, the question being asked is a hard one to give the full answer to mate, a show standard would mean that every breed would need to have a breed standard, of what dogs entering of that breed should be like (like the kc handbooks) so in that case how could somebody say what size a crossbred sould be or what coat type it should have? or what size shape colour coat type or build of a lurcher? Someone entering crufts if ther wee book says a Lakie should be 15 inches they try breed as close to 15 inches as they can and that's that, then there's the wee workin man livin up in a wee valley in the highlands that needs a wee terrier 11 inches for genuine work, this is why there is no standard in my eyes, people at kc shows don't care if ther dogs are 16,17,18,19 inch cos they don't need to fit anywhere if the wee book says it that's it, so how would someone set a standard for a Lakie for working shows? Or russels? Or borders? When so many people live in so many different parts of our country carrying out so many different types of work on different ground? I agree a dog should be able to move properly have good conformation be of a good size for work etc but what size should it be? We all know generally what size a dog of a certain breed should be or averages at but wel for talking sake say if most lakies are 13-14 1/2 should a dog at 12 or 15 be thrown out? No because there's no standard, a dog can't be judged on working ability at a show full stop, but it's the differences in the types people like, the ground they work etc that gives judges a preference and that's what makes opinions different or the same would always win, one thing a judge must not be is breed blind. Does it matter what work type? No if someone comes in with a rabbiting terrier or ratting it should be judged the same as a foxing terrier but still on its ability to carry out earthwork because after all that was/is the purpose of the breed but a judge as a working dog man should still look for signs of work, I'm not saying put it up because of it a dog has to have the full package, Conformation movement etc is important but would everybody agree that a dog can't be judged properly then if it doesn't walk properly on a lead? How many terriers do you see at shows pulling to the side jumping running round etc when a judge walks them up the line? So their movement can't be judged properly should these dogs be put aside because if conformation movement etc is the be all then these dogs can't be judged properly. A dog should be easily spannable how many dogs win shows that aren't easy spanned but looks the business? Loads. If anybody has any queries about a judged decision why don't they just ask the judge why he picked that instead of that I'm sure they wouldn't be offended I know I wouldn't be, anyway lads it's only a show.

so as asked for in my post........constructive ideas ? everything youve written about has already been covered on this or the previous thread

ive been asked on many times to judge ,,,for being in running dogs and family being in lurchers and terriers ,,,since ive been able to walk

ive always declined

why??? cos there so much varity ,,how would i choose to make everyone happy

would i go for rough coated ,,would i go for smooth coated,,,,would i lev a dog out cos it was carrying an injury,,,??? if injury i thought wasnt well treated

i dont read books on dogs just what ive learnt,,will come into play,,,is my experence enough???? who iam i to say this dogs better than the next ???

i thought about it,,,,i can only pick what i would be perpared to take home,,,,and iam mainly keep smooth coats,,,but i hav a love for rough coated dogs,,,so it would be an even thing

but when it boils down to it,,,i would pick the best healthest dog on the day,,,i cant tell if it works,,,scars help but is not 100% it was at its job

years ago judges use to ask questions how dog was breed and age,,,,now there too scared to,,just incase owner think,s ,,,he didnt know how my dog was breed,,,he or she is usless,,,and in lurchers its soo hard to be right 100% of the time

I like All kinds of running dog so if there needin a judge next year ill say yes ) be as we'll it can't be that hard pick a dog that looks like it gets a lot of work and kept well simple job done then don't go on thl for a couple of weeks lol