What a Lakeland should look like ?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My type of lakeland terrier, old Midleton type great worker.

edit

Got a slight gripe about your topic's title though (not a jab at you)... ''what a lakeland should look like'' As that implies looks mean something..the lakeland terriermen I know personally wont consi

Posted Images

I've read and re-read this thred and as far as i'm concerned the only type I see or class as a Lakeland Terrier, working or not, are those dogs that are black an tan.

I don't care if it was born out of 100 years of black and tan breeding, nor born in Cumbria, if it ain't B&T, it ain't a Lakeland. :nono: Call it the feck whatever you want but thats the truth. :yes:

No different than the fact that if it ain't white, it ain't a Russell.... Simples!

Oh yer, sorry to piss on anyone's chips but there are some fine examples of working terriers on view on this thred, of all types and colours, thanks for sharing. :victory:

Colour

Black and tan, blue and tan, red, wheaten, red grizzle, liver, blue or black. Small tips of white on feet and chest undesirable but permissible. Mahogany or deep tan not typical.

- See more at: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=3072#sthash.Dp5EFcfo.dpuf

Breed Standard For LAKELAND TERRIER..

Colour

Black and tan, blue and tan, red, wheaten, red grizzle, liver, blue or black. Small tips of white on feet and chest undesirable but permissible. Mahogany or deep tan not typical.

- See more at: http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/services/public/breed/standard.aspx?id=3072#sthash.Dp5EFcfo.dpuf

Colour..

B&T ,Blue & Tan,Red, Wheaten ,Red Grizzle,Liver,Blue or Black

Small tips of white on feet & chest.

Undesirable , but Permissible Mahogany or Deep Tan not Typical.

The Kennel Club..Doesn't Agree with you Bosun,you'll be glad to know :D

Colour

Colour

My comp Went MAD !! :laugh: :laugh:

Edited by dixiefried

:laugh: Dixie, i'm so sad that the Kennel Club, in all it's majesty, don't agree with me.... Not many do..!

But I know this, i've never, in 30 years looked at any terrier that ain't black an tan and called it a Lakie.... Seen a red an called it a red or fell, seen a chocolate and called it liver, as it used to be before the shecklel but should that colour have the title of its type..? Seen them whites and said they are all Russells and long should they be so.... Oh, an seen the blacks and called them whatever I was thinking at the time, Fell, Patterdale, fit to burn on occasion!

Riddle me this... As with the KC how often has a none B&T ever made a big show champion...?

We define type by what we see and colour is all....

:D

Non B&T...can't Think of ONE ! The GENERIC ..LAKIELAND will always be seen as a Small Welsh :blink:

I Prefer the solid ,non B&T ..be Called a FELL....

The Man from Cockermouth ..AJ ..Would love a Black To Win A K.C.show..save him Going up against G.N. all the Time :D an get to Keep better Company ,get some Plebs at the Country Shows :laugh:

where was photo taken in snow is it up geoffery hill in longridge.

If you're from that way and used to keep Lakelands, did yours ever kill an alsation?

And did you briefly own a pure greyhound?

no pal my dog hasnt killed a dog and no havent had a greyhound .

:laugh: Dixie, i'm so sad that the Kennel Club, in all it's majesty, don't agree with me.... Not many do..!

But I know this, i've never, in 30 years looked at any terrier that ain't black an tan and called it a Lakie.... Seen a red an called it a red or fell, seen a chocolate and called it liver, as it used to be before the shecklel but should that colour have the title of its type..? Seen them whites and said they are all Russells and long should they be so.... Oh, an seen the blacks and called them whatever I was thinking at the time, Fell, Patterdale, fit to burn on occasion!

Riddle me this... As with the KC how often has a none B&T ever made a big show champion...?

We define type by what we see and colour is all....

:D

Without wishing to be contentious, wasn't russell's foundation bitch 'trump' mated to his father's black and tan terrier? A few black and tan russells about down my way years ago, a mate had a belting smooth black and tan russell dog pup, proper black and tan like a doberman, in 1978, same year as I got my russell bitch, also smooth but white with a tan head.

Neither were worked to fox, but were both really good ratting dogs and general good fun workers/bushers :thumbs:

Edited by shaaark

I've read and re-read this thred and as far as i'm concerned the only type I see or class as a Lakeland Terrier, working or not, are those dogs that are black an tan.

I don't care if it was born out of 100 years of black and tan breeding, nor born in Cumbria, if it ain't B&T, it ain't a Lakeland. :nono: Call it the feck whatever you want but thats the truth. :yes:

No different than the fact that if it ain't white, it ain't a Russell.... Simples!

Oh yer, sorry to piss on anyone's chips but there are some fine examples of working terriers on view on this thred, of all types and colours, thanks for sharing. :victory:

Try telling that to Gary Middleton :laugh::thumbs:

Cheers, D.

• Like 1

sorry Bosun got to disagree you can't or shouldn't define a terrier by its " colour " . That's where show people go wrong by trying to define what a terrier should look like and what its colour should be. I know you know this already mate but for me a terrier should only be defined by its work !
  • Like 1