How to stop going to ground

Hi all I got given a red terrier off a friend last year as a pup as I wanted something to fire the rabbits out for my whippets but twice recently I have had to call my mate to come and give me a hand because hes gone to ground on a fox does any 1 no how to stop this as it is a real pain digging him out cheers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just shows the state the poor old terrier is in owners getting upset about them going to ground cant get my head round it! lad is prob genuine enough and means no harm i know but still its still a sad

Have a chat with him, he may lissen if hes in a resonable mood. No just messing if hes finding and staying to fox he will be of a good use to somone, so maybe let him go to some where he may be used f

Clever pitch !

Posted Images

Hi all I got given a red terrier off a friend last year as a pup as I wanted something to fire the rabbits out for my whippets but twice recently I have had to call my mate to come and give me a hand because hes gone to ground on a fox does any 1 no how to stop this as it is a real pain digging him out cheers

get rid and get a spaniel :laugh: seriously though did you not think it wouldnt :hmm:
  • Like 1

Have a chat with him, he may lissen if hes in a resonable mood. No just messing if hes finding and staying to fox he will be of a good use to somone, so maybe let him go to some where he may be used for his true calling in life and get your self a spaniel cross.

• Like 2

just shows the state the poor old terrier is in owners getting upset about them going to ground cant get my head round it! lad is prob genuine enough and means no harm i know but still its still a sad situation as for this bushing carry on cant understand it either my fisrt dog was a spaniel age two i was still have pic of us both as pups so to speak now ive always owned a working spaniel and do fair bit of shooting i ive yet to see a dog hunt cover etc as good as a spaniel so why the hell dont people use them instead of terriers its a no brainer plus no probs with going to ground or working with other dogs etc there s dogs bred for certain jobs and the terriers was to go to ground a spaniels was to flush game for gun hawk etc so its like taking a brick layer to put on a roof he may get it done eventually but a carpenter will do it proper and quicker same applies to dogs will thats the way i see it anyway !

• Like 9

I don't own a terrier and know very little about them and i only hunt with springers, but from what i've heard off a man who hunted rabbits with lurchers is that the jack russells tend to be more suited to working above the ground and flushing rabbits than the patterdales and lakelands anyway, however i don't know why. He said they were brilliant in cover and if there were rabbits there that the jr would put them out. Maybe they're more adaptable or something. Just thought it could be a good alternative to a lakeland terrier if you still wanted those terrier characteristics.

I don't own a terrier and know very little about them and i only hunt with springers, but from what i've heard off a man who hunted rabbits with lurchers is that the jack russells tend to be more suited to working above the ground and flushing rabbits than the patterdales and lakelands anyway, however i don't know why. He said they were brilliant in cover and if there were rabbits there that the jr would put them out. Maybe they're more adaptable or something. Just thought it could be a good alternative to a lakeland terrier if you still wanted those terrier characteristics.

all dogs are diffrent pal