Ragwort

There has recently been a great outbreak of alot of horses digesting Ragwort and causing them death in the short term, and its not just horses ive heard of a few goats have had the same problem to that have had Ragwort poisoning. It is a highly toxic plant that should be controlled by your local council. Not many people know who to complain to about the Ragwort so heres the link - http://www.defra.gov.uk/forms/2011/03/30/weed2-complaint/

There's tons of it round here: and they've just mown it down on the field next to the lake where cattle have just been taken off: I was always told that even when dry and mixed in with hay it is still poisonous. I wonder how long it remains dangerous for: or does it rot down eventually and cease to cause problems?

There's tons of it round here: and they've just mown it down on the field next to the lake where cattle have just been taken off: I was always told that even when dry and mixed in with hay it is still poisonous. I wonder how long it remains dangerous for: or does it rot down eventually and cease to cause problems?

it needs to be pulled then burned ,only way to get rid of it ;)

Its every where here nobody bothers about it , right along the motorways etc , I heard the same as it was cut and turned into hay it became more palatable for stock .the gardeners at work are the only ones i know who pull it up with a fork . Then they said if it seeds the seeds can lie dormant for years on the soil ?.

Thats the problem some people are having is finding the ragwort seeds amongst hay, i think if nothing is treated then it will eventually overtake most land not just grazing but could eventually end up in a hay field and before we know it, we will have yellow mountains

Seem's to be a very prolific year for ragwort this year. If you have any growing on your land , you are obligated by law to get rid of it I believe. Non palatable when green and still growing but becomes palatable with increased TOXICITY when dried. Google it.

I was always told that so long as its growing its not poisonous but when its cut and ferments it becomes poisonous. Dont know if thats correct or not. Seems to be a lot of it over here this year aswell.

Seem's to be a very prolific year for ragwort this year. If you have any growing on your land , you are obligated by law to get rid of it I believe. Non palatable when green and still growing but becomes palatable with increased TOXICITY when dried. Google it.

Spot on id say

cattle can eat it, because of the way they digest, horse cant, seen the lads on the common here from the council pulling it up, the fields by the river only ever have cattle in them and as soon as it gets to the point of when its going to seed the farmer tops it off, the trouble is the seeds get airbourne, and go who knows where.

Ragwort is a right pain. Toxic whether fresh or dried. It needs pulled out before it flowers to save alot of bother. However, I cannot see any need to report Ragwort to a local council unless your livery yard refuses to deal with the issue. Even so, it's a private matter regarding the owner of the grounds. How did these horses and goats consume Ragwort?