RED MITE

hi all,

just noticed some red mite on the wood of the outside ferts court, no other animals kept around that area, so they are either sucking on the local wildlife, foxes, hedgehogs etc or my jills

as both my jills are pregnant I need to completly clean inside and out, but also give a spray of some form of insecticide, now as a pest controller Ive got tonnes of that in my van, only trouble is it will be harmful to the ferts, years ago when I kept budgerigars we used to spray with a bird friendly red mite killer, do you think that would do, or have you guys (or girls) used anything else you could recomend...

cheers

hi all,

just noticed some red mite on the wood of the outside ferts court, no other animals kept around that area, so they are either sucking on the local wildlife, foxes, hedgehogs etc or my jills

as both my jills are pregnant I need to completly clean inside and out, but also give a spray of some form of insecticide, now as a pest controller Ive got tonnes of that in my van, only trouble is it will be harmful to the ferts, years ago when I kept budgerigars we used to spray with a bird friendly red mite killer, do you think that would do, or have you guys (or girls) used anything else you could recomend...

cheers

I wouldnt chance using it by the pregnant ferrets, just my opinion :)

Horrible things,

we recently had an infestation in our chicken coop.

It was so bad that when I was in there cleaning I was covered in a crawling mass of mites, in my hair, my ears everywhere. They were living in the ceiling as it was made out of slats with roofing felt on top so they had plenty of places to hide.

Was so bad that I used some of the board for the ferts shed and built them a complety new roof and floor, then silicon sealed every corner and smoothed down and then painted with white gloss. Now we can spot em and remove easily as they have nowhere to hide.

But, back to your question... I imagine that the mite powder sold in places like Scats would be ok for ferts, it is non toxic and ok for handling and fine for egg laying chooks.

/Mad

duramitex for pigeon lofts , a capfull in a 600ml water spray bottle job done :victory:

bang on i use it on ferts,dogs and my hawks like ferretlove says dont know about prego jills

Dont use Duramitex on pregnant jills

The blow tourch is your best option

red mite are on wild birds i used to get them when i had aviaries

• 4 months later...

Try a product called OA2Ki. Its a natural product based on either coconut oil (the liquid) or diatious earth (the powder form). Its a non-pesicide pesticide (if that makes any sense) and is exempt from the COPR.

Do a google, and you will find a supplier.