fixed power scope or variable.

Evening all !

I have a 17hmr and am looking to replace my scope with a better quality one possibly a kahles if schmidt.

I do a lot of lamping so i want something that sucks as much light in as possible so a 50 or 56 scope.

My question is should i go for a variable scope or a fixed ?

i have always have variable in the past just curious to what you guys think or can suggest.

Many thanks,

Nick

I would suggest a fixed 7 power with the largest objective lens you can get away with on your particular rifle.

anything greater than 7 x mag only stresses the human iris as it as much as a normal iris can cope with without placing under stress.

I have a 4-10 variable pecar on my stalking rifles and they rarely get shunted up above 7 besides each magnification up increases movement at the poa and you tend to correct this movement to compensate which isnt good.

Hope this helps

Stu

Im the opposite, used fixed scopes all my life but once I bought a decent variable mag scope I'd never go back to fixed, all my scopes are variable apart from a s&b 6x42 on a .22lr. I shoot with a lamp a lot and the ability to zoom in and 100% identify quarry not just eyes makes me never want a fixed scope again. Guess it's down to personal preference...

• Like 1