which .17 centrefire

hi ive been reading up on some of the .17 centrefires and was wondering which one would be most suitable for general lamping long range bunnies and the odd range days. has anyone got experience with any of them? i have also been offered a hornet by my local dealeris it worth waiting for?

Greg

Not used a hornet , but looking at the balistics they are the slowest and shortest range of the c/f's.

I have a fireball . longest kill crow over 500m

longest fox kill 220m

longest rabbit kill 400m

average shots 200-300m

Would not use one for long range rabbits as even chest shot rabbits at 300m will pull the intestines out of the exit hole.

Plus points : Quieter than a .17 rem, less powder burnt and nearly as fast

Bad points : Factory ammo expensive, Can be problematic with feeding unless dedicated fireball action, Rifles for sale rarely, Not many factory chamberings.

i only shoot rabbits for pest control so meat damage isnt an issue. i have access to reloading equipment so if heads and cases are resonable price that aspect is ok. what scope have you got for 500m crows?

how bad does the wind effect it?

Edited by Greg223

S&B 8x56, Cases are expensive and hard to get at the moment ( But then so are alot ) But the fireball is easy on cases and i have only thrown one of my original 100 away, and that was due to me not being carefull and crushing the neck in my press.

I use 16gr of h4198 and 25gr vmax approx 2900fps in 22" barrel

The crow at 500 was my longest not a regular thing, it was a i wonder if i'll hit it shot shot, Most of my crows are 150- 300m and aim dead on and don't allow for windage as not had a problem.

good scope! if i get one itll have a hakko on it. but when you find cases you shouldnt need more then if its easy on them. whats the max capacity in the case do you know?

nice to know it will be accurate and kill at that range though