transporter versus transit

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's for that reason I have no bother parking my t4 up in lanes nobody expects a flock of lurchers to come out where as a transit parked up brings unwanted attention round my way

stick with the oul shape tranny .

they go on for ever the old shape transits..................

If i was given the chance mate i wouldn,t have another VW T5 about me ,85,000 miles on this one i have ,full service history

and more ,its give nothing but headaches this last year ,camshaft ,then alternator ,then driveshaft ,and two weeks ago a starter ,they

are an ackward van to work at and very few vw mechanics want them as a homer as the 2.5 just seems to have problem after

problem .Thirsty as well ,bit of advise if your considering buying a vw transporter go for the bulletproof 1.9 engine .Check them out

on VW BRICKWORKS ,great forum it is .

hiace for me as well...bombproof

I have had Hi- ace since 1998 Not the same one ! and yes they are good. But drive like a car. But Toyota have stoped impporting them 2011.

So i had to find a new van this year.

Transit has all i like in a van and all i hate as well, crap drivers seat.

Merc go's like stink , But rusts faster.

This left VW expensive but not by much compaired to the other quality vans.

I have a 1.9lt 140bhp and it uses less fuel than the 103 bhpToyota, less service times 20,000 as opposed to 12,000.

I would not go back to toyota ! we still run one at work but only for the next two years.

Edited by coldweld

,so the main opinion is.............vw are more troublesome than transits?coldweld I have to agree with you on the drivers seat,its the most unshapely thing ever,I can never get comfy in it,would it be possible to replace with another type I wonder?other than that though I find my van a great all rounder and very dependable.

Edited by jigsaw

,so the main opinion is.............vw are more troublesome than transits?coldweld I have to agree with you on the drivers seat,its the most unshapely thing ever,I can never get comfy in it,would it be possible to replace with another type I wonder?other than that though I find my van a great all rounder and very dependable.

Yes if your good with a welder swapping seats is a piece of piss

yep got to agree westie,the transit does draw unwanted attention,if the farmer doesnt know you he jumps to the conclusion it may be ''THE COUSINS'' :laugh:

how are they westie on juice compared to the

trannys?I might in a while take a shot at one if I thought they were durable.

I originally bought mine as a dive bus and loaded to the gunnels with dive kit(a hell of a weight)4 fellas and from Sussex to Plymouth £30 each way on a 2.4 non turbo lump,the thing is bombproof a piece of piss to work on and parts are easy to come by and tows like a dream and as been said before everyone wants them so has a good resale value even knackered ones are fetching a grand plus which is why we don't see them being broken or scrapped in our yard.

Yes if your good with a welder swapping seats is a piece of piss

Loads of seats on eBay go for little as couple quid.

I thought swaping seats over would be opening a few bolts,etc.is there any type of seat I should look for or will any do?just wondering if the seat belts lineing up etc might be a problem.

I thought swaping seats over would be opening a few bolts,etc.is there any type of seat I should look for or will any do?just wondering if the seat belts lineing up etc might be a problem.

Easiest way is to take the seat of it's base , get another seat with base and cut new seat base and weld to old seat base ... I've probably made it sound like a bodge up job but done right , it will be sound and safe ,

I got a t4 seat with arm rests and it's just as uncomfortable as the ordinary ones ,and the arm rests always pack up an go floppy.

Some people use flat bar with holes drilled in to fit seats to original base,the trick is not to make it sit too high so your heads not touching the head lining.