cod liver oil

Guest Lurcherbitch

Brilliant thread, I have learnt a couple of things here. I did used to feed sardines in sunflower oil, but then turned to sardines in tomatoe juice, now I am going to feed mackrel :blink: .

Will we ever get it right??

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest reload
I've fed raw now for almost 2 years, i used to add supplements, oils etc but my dog never seemed quite right. After close inspection of the diet i was feeding and a very long process of elimination i found that it was the supplements i was adding to his diet that was causing the problems i was seeing. Since then i've occasionally added sunflower oil, olive oil and wheatgerm oil to his feed when i think of it. I've read to many horror stories and not enough positives on feeding cod liver oil to feel confident in feeding it. I've never really understood the whole adding supplements to a the raw diet. If the diet is as good as the books and internet rescouces tell you then surely there should be no need to supplement, no? As far as i can see, feeding oils or any supplement has a knock on effect to feeding another. For example, adding CLO increases the intake of Vit A which can be toxic to the body in over used. Vit E should then be given becasue in absorbing the CLO the body uses Vit E so then Vit E levels decrease. I only see feeding supplements as a sure fire way of causing imbalance to the dogs system.

Hi Clip, What were the problems?

I have fed naturally all my dog owning life, same as at least 3 generations of my family before me, so I have a fair to middling experience in feeding this way.

I understand that Vit A will destroy Vit E given together, generally if you feed on alternate days its fine.

The best place i have seen this put into text is in Dr Ian Billinghurst book Give your dog a bone, buy it but it can be a little over technical in parts to be honest, but it gives you the basics.

The two groups of Vitamin:

Water soluble vitamins such as C and B Complex group

Fat soluble Vitamins A, D, E, and K

Water Soluble are almost not toxic, and Fat soluble need a little more care as they are stored in your dogs body and particularly in case of Vit A and D this is ONLY in grossly excessive levels.

Sensible supplementation of all these vitamins at the correct dose and at the correct level is immensely beneficial to the dog. SO JUST FOLLOW THE DOSAGE GUIDE ON THE LABEL :D:D

Basically its the old rule, of everything in moderation is fine and in this case VERY beneficial to your dog.

I hope this clears some points up.

Regards Reload

Hi Clip, What were the problems?

I have fed naturally all my dog owning life, same as at least 3 generations of my family before me, so I have a fair to middling experience in feeding this way.

I understand that Vit A will destroy Vit E given together, generally if you feed on alternate days its fine.

The best place i have seen this put into text is in Dr Ian Billinghurst book Give your dog a bone, buy it but it can be a little over technical in parts to be honest, but it gives you the basics.

The two groups of Vitamin:

Water soluble vitamins such as C and B Complex group

Fat soluble Vitamins A, D, E, and K

Water Soluble are almost not toxic, and Fat soluble need a little more care as they are stored in your dogs body and particularly in case of Vit A and D this is ONLY in grossly excessive levels.

Sensible supplementation of all these vitamins at the correct dose and at the correct level is immensely beneficial to the dog. SO JUST FOLLOW THE DOSAGE GUIDE ON THE LABEL :D:D

Basically its the old rule, of everything in moderation is fine and in this case VERY beneficial to your dog.

I hope this clears some points up.

Regards Reload

Thanks Reload,

I have the Billinghurst books along with a number of other books by different authors all of which i've read over and over again. The probelms i was seeing in my dog were excess scratching and licking and after looking at the obvious (parasites) and treating accordingly and still no improvement my next thing to look at was diet. I first thought he may be intolerant to one of the foods i was feeding so as i said before i went right to the basics and fed one food source over a couple of weeks and added to it as to see if i could elimnate the food that was causing the problem. After getting back to feeding all the foods i was originally and with no signs of the previous apparant itching i slowly introduced supplements and oils. It didn't matter what i added to his food over a period of say a week the scratching,itching and gnawing would start again. Since then he gets the odd bit of oil in his food but not often but on the whole he gets no supplements at all and i think he's doing great on it. I try my hardest to feed him the best quality grub i can get my hands on with not going to over the top on price. His coat and general aperance is one of good health and i can honestly say i've not seen him have a scratch for ages.

Clip

Edited by Clip
Guest reload

Cheers Clip, Well there could be a common reason for the scratching depending on what your feeding food wise.

Cod Liver Oil can be quite heating and is not a summer supplement IMO, same as too much Kelp seaweed, a little is fine but too much and you can see scratching in some dogs.

Other than that It may just be one of those things, and you dog does not tolerate it too well.

I would still supplement with something, I use a powder which contains Kelp, Cleavers,wild yam, nettle, celery seeds, psyllium husk, lucerne and rosemary. Garlic tablets and a Oil now and again which I alternate.

The supplementation depends on the dog/bitch and age and what there doing, but thats the basics I use for a average dog if there is such a thing. :)

But as long as your dog is doing well, keep at at. Personally I find many of the books cause too much confusion for new people deciding to feed a natural diet, after all it is not rocket science.

Regards Reload

Edited by reload
But as long as your dog is doing well, keep at at. Personally I find many of the books cause too much confusion for new people deciding to feed a natural diet, after all it is not rocket science.

Regards Reload

Yes, i totally agree there reload, all the books i've read are full of conflicting theories and can lead to much confusion. After reading all the books and internet articles i could get my hands on and joining numerous raw feeding groups/forums I feel i have enough information to make reasonably educated decisions on my dogs diet. Don't get me wrong i can always learn more and i'm very appreciative of any advice more experienced dog owners and raw feeders can give me.

My take on it is that nature provides everything us humans and animals need and with a little research foods can be found that contain everything supplements can give so with a very varied diet i can't see why supplements should be chosen over natural food sources.

Clip

Guest LamperJohn

THIS DIETRY SUPPLEMENT THING IS NEVER ENDING I THINK PEOPLE THINK TO MUCH ABOUT WHAT GOES IN TO THERE DOGS I HAVE A 13 YEAR OLD TERRIER DOG WHO AS NEVER HAD ANY OILS OR SUPPLEMENTS WHAT SO EVER IN HIS DIET JUST BEEN FED A DECENT VARIED FLESH DIET HES GOT A SHINY COAT TEETH OF A 2 YEAR OLD A DECENT SPRING IN HIS STEP ALSO MY OLDER LURCHER IS THE SAME I KNOW PEOPLE ONLY WANT THE BEST FOR THERE DOGS AND TRY INPROVEING THERE HEALTH ETC BUT IN THE LONG RUN NO SUPPLEMENTS ARE NEEDED REALLY. JUST PLENTY OF EXERCISE AND A GOOD QUALITY DIET