cod liver oil

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I give my dogs a heaped teaspoon of cod liver oil powder every day.You can buy it from anywere that sells horse feed etc.Its called Super Codlivine.Its a supplement for race horses to help them recover from excercise.It keeps the dogs in good condition aswell as helping them recover from a hard day/nights work.Its only £13 for a big tub which should last 2 dogs a year.

Cost should never come into a dogs well being, some of the far better more useful oils are not as better or as useful as the makers would have us believe, most are no better dispte their inflated costs, all dogs require some form of oil in their diet, more so dogs with longer coats and in todays market the safest ones are sesame, corn(maize) or sunflower. Given daily, a teaspoon of uncooked vegetable oil such as sunflower seed oil helps provide essential fatty acids (polyunsaturates) to condition the coat.

By adding vegetable oil you can boost your dog’s intake of quality protein, fatty acids, lecithin, B vitamins and minerals which are especially helpful for skin and coat problems. Vegetable oils are also good sources of Linoleic Acid.

Cod liver oil is high in Vitamin A, and if your dog is getting a balanced complete diet you could be providing too much Vitamin A by feeding too much codliver oil, if its diet is lacking in Vitamin A, thats ok, it should be supplemented. One effect of excessive vitamin A causes new bone to be deposited around joints causing pain, lameness and spinal problems.

A good book (bible) for anyone interested that explains about feeding oils, and the breakdaown of all foods in general for dogs, The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy..

i dont give my dogs any oils at all i used to but now i just feed them fish once or twice a week eithier tuna or sardines or mackrel mine seem to be in good nick and have good coats :D i think its better if the oil is naturally in the foods jmo... :D

i dont give my dogs any oils at all i used to but now i just feed them fish once or twice a week eithier tuna or sardines or mackrel mine seem to be in good nick and have good coats :D i think its better if the oil is naturally in the foods jmo... :D

Good stuff snoopy, mackerel and herring are the best fish available for dogs by far, sardines and tuna great if fresh, but not tinned :whistle: but many other fish are bloodless and too watery

We used to feed a lot of macerel in the summer when we were catching bag-fulls

Guest reload
Cost should never come into a dogs well being, some of the far better more useful oils are not as better or as useful as the makers would have us believe, most are no better dispte their inflated costs, all dogs require some form of oil in their diet, more so dogs with longer coats and in todays market the safest ones are sesame, corn(maize) or sunflower. Given daily, a teaspoon of uncooked vegetable oil such as sunflower seed oil helps provide essential fatty acids (polyunsaturates) to condition the coat.

By adding vegetable oil you can boost your dog’s intake of quality protein, fatty acids, lecithin, B vitamins and minerals which are especially helpful for skin and coat problems. Vegetable oils are also good sources of Linoleic Acid.

Cod liver oil is high in Vitamin A, and if your dog is getting a balanced complete diet you could be providing too much Vitamin A by feeding too much codliver oil, if its diet is lacking in Vitamin A, thats ok, it should be supplemented. One effect of excessive vitamin A causes new bone to be deposited around joints causing pain, lameness and spinal problems.

A good book (bible) for anyone interested that explains about feeding oils, and the breakdaown of all foods in general for dogs, The Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat by Juliette de Bairacli Levy..

Cheers for your reply Doxhope, i have that book and have met Juliette Bairacli Levy on several occasions as she is a friend of the family.

Your excess of Vit A is based on man made not naturally occurring i should suspect, as in most cases naturally occuring vitamins and minerals any excess is passed by the animal, thats in some not all cases. Cod liver oil is usful for you dogs to help absorption of calcium though.

I think the point in general I was trying to make is just as its a oil, does not mean it will do all the things people expect, such as Wheatgerm Oil VitE will increase fertility and aid nail and hair growth, but also is for skin. Where as Cod liver oil will not encourage hair growth, but will help to certain extent with skin, and calcium absorption as discussed.

I was just think what was the logic behind people using cheaper oils. I know only too well that scrimping on pennies is not the way to go when a dog is concerned but many people do, it amazes me.

PS) fresh fish is great for dogs, i feed as much as i can when the sprats and mackerel come in, i have even fed conger eel to dogs(not that that is oily, but they loved it)

Regards reload

Edited by reload

if you go to fresh fish stalls at the end off the day you can pick it up for next to nothing fillet the macrel or any oily fish they love it ..but when i cant get fresh i must admitt i give the tins off sardines or tuna what do about think of giving a dog a whole fish the bones and the lot i do quite a bit off trout fishing :whistle: and have never really given them a whole raw fish what do you think about the bones ect ...????or even cooked or do you think it should be filleted..????

I have only feed mackerel, never been an avid fish feeder to my dogs, yes they will eat it...but dogs are pigs, they will, or they should eat anything that is put down for them..tinned stuff is full of salt and has too many preservatives. When I have feed mackerel is was fed gut in and head off, and boiled, (I know, I shouldnt)

Vit D is the vit for the absorbsion of calcium, yes cod liver oil does have it, albeit in far less quanity than vit A, there are far better ways to give a dog vit D/D3, my premise has always been more aimed at the dangerous overvitaminisation of vit A, BUT, I may be over-reacting, but it is my ideal to help towards producing good, sound stock...and the reason why I have never included cod liver oil as a supplement.

Cheers for the info reload, always good to hear other views and opinions

And if you ever see the authoress you must tell her this book is one of only a few in my collection that will never be leaving, and it has been a pleasure learning from it

i have never given them the lot i always fillet the fish so you think it would be ok to give the the bones and the lot ..????theres as much goodness in the head as there is in the whole body of any fish i think fish is part of a good diet for any animal carnivore of cousre ...and if boiled give them the liquid aswell then they are having the whole thing shallow boil so its like a good stock .. ;)

i have never given them the lot i always fillet the fish so you think it would be ok to give the the bones and the lot ..????theres as much goodness in the head as there is in the whole body of any fish i think fish is part of a good diet for any animal carnivore of cousre ...and if boiled give them the liquid aswell then they are having the whole thing shallow boil so its like a good stock .. ;)

Its just my way snoop about the heads off, the same as I always feed rabbits raw, gutted with the head on, some lads leave the gut in, others totally skinned. Yes I know what you mean about the stock stuff in the bottom of the boiler, but where I can I always like to feed meat raw..My dogs have not problems with fish bones, and certainly not rabbit bones, they eat raw hare, and deerheads my deerhounds even eat fox meat, nothing is wasted here

The heads off the fish, cut their eyes out and they see you through the week :laugh::laugh:

i will try them on whole trout then i was just thinking about the sharp little bones in the fish but if your dogs dont have problems with em the i dont see why mine should :D and if they choke to death i will blame you :D:D cheers doxhope some good addvice there mate :victory:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Good thread this :good: And now, just to characteristicaly lower the whole tone of it; Fishes eyes .....

I saw one of these programmes once where a 'normal' couple were taken out by a Ray Mears / S.A.S Survival Instructor type guy and shown how to 'survive'. One of the first things he did was catch a trout ~ god knows how. I don't remember as the next bit vanquished all else from my memory.

He then explained that the eyeballs of a fish contain all the essential, yummy vitamin C necessary for surviving in front of tv cameras. He promptly whipped out this fishes, still looking on in abject horror, eyeball and calmly suggested this couple eat one each!

Of course, the guy was a Man. He did what any Man would do; He muttered something to the effect of, " F*ck That! I'd rather f*cking die! ". His girlfriend popped it in her mouth and swallowed the thing! :sick:

(She then said something about it tasting like chlorine, blushed and appeared to be reaching for the fishes other eye, just as a voice yelled, " CUT!!! " :laugh: )

I've fed raw now for almost 2 years, i used to add supplements, oils etc but my dog never seemed quite right. After close inspection of the diet i was feeding and a very long process of elimination i found that it was the supplements i was adding to his diet that was causing the problems i was seeing. Since then i've occasionally added sunflower oil, olive oil and wheatgerm oil to his feed when i think of it. I've read to many horror stories and not enough positives on feeding cod liver oil to feel confident in feeding it. I've never really understood the whole adding supplements to a the raw diet. If the diet is as good as the books and internet rescouces tell you then surely there should be no need to supplement, no? As far as i can see, feeding oils or any supplement has a knock on effect to feeding another. For example, adding CLO increases the intake of Vit A which can be toxic to the body in over used. Vit E should then be given becasue in absorbing the CLO the body uses Vit E so then Vit E levels decrease. I only see feeding supplements as a sure fire way of causing imbalance to the dogs system.

On another note. My dog used to eat whole raw sardines and mackerel but know turns his nose up at them and won't even bother with them. I'm certainly no push over in the feeding department and if he doesn't eat what i give him i go by the way of that he can't be that hungry and take it away from him and not feed him again until the next day. Saying that i'm not prepared to force feed him or starve him and have only tried this over a period of two days. Any ideas what else i could feed(other than supplements :laugh: ) that would get some natural oils into him. Any other thoughts on why he would stop eating them? Am i just being to soft on him or should i stop forcing the matter?

Thanks

Clip.

Edited by Clip