Pure Greyhounds

Would imagine a pure grey would go out to wide on turns on hares or rabbits as they build up to much speed

Floyd bring your 10 out 10 catch rate dog over this season and I'll give you a friendly match with a working greyhound :thumbs:

think he and many other just look at ex track dogs and think every pup will be the same! not saying ex tracks can't work but i'd say better off getting it as a pup

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Iam with CP on this one, greyhound is there mainly for the speed, other breeds are added to suite the ground and quarry.   The main problem with greyhounds and heavily saturated greyhound crosses is

Good post born to run1083 the correct blood is very very important regardless if it comes from the greyhound,collie,bull etc etc.   A greyhound could be a champion on the track but will that always

You are missing my point..... courage, bull or beddy will give you that! Desire to chase, any sight hound will give you that ! Biddability, your'e having a laugh ! Athletiicism, any well conditioned d

Would imagine a pure grey would go out to wide on turns on hares or rabbits as they build up to much speed

Floyd bring your 10 out 10 catch rate dog over this season and I'll give you a friendly match with a working greyhound :thumbs:

think he and many other just look at ex track dogs and think every pup will be the same! not saying ex tracks can't work but i'd say better off getting it as a pup

True mate, although I do get my pups tagged and get them a few races but I get sick of racing nearly straight away so they go back to earning their keep in the fields :laugh:

people that breed lurchers too often overlook the grey side because any grey will add speed but there is some that are able to offer a lot more

What more can a Greyhound add to a Lurcher line other than Speed ? Don't get me wrong, I like at least 50% Greyhound in my Lurchers, but I can't see what else they add apart from speed.I think they are the only base breed to add this in the amount needed. Yes Whippets can add speed, but not as much. Salukis add stamina and all the other breeds add their bit; nose, coat, feet, etc. But for the life of me I can't see what else a Greyhound adds !

Cheers.

• Like 1

people that breed lurchers too often overlook the grey side because any grey will add speed but there is some that are able to offer a lot more

What more can a Greyhound add to a Lurcher line other than Speed ? Don't get me wrong, I like at least 50% Greyhound in my Lurchers, but I can't see what else they add apart from speed.I think they are the only base breed to add this in the amount needed. Yes Whippets can add speed, but not as much. Salukis add stamina and all the other breeds add their bit; nose, coat, feet, etc. But for the life of me I can't see what else a Greyhound adds !

Cheers.

Drive

Other breeds will add drive to a Lurcher line, I would have thought speed came way up the attributte charts than drive, when thinking what a Greyhound adds to a Lurcher. I can;t see a "LOT" that Greyhounds add that other breeds can't better, apart from speed. :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 1

pre ban i ended up short of dogs to run through injury and bitches being in season so a mate of mine got me a greyhound from his racing pals. me and my dad took it out and slipped it on 3 hares which it made easy work of catchig each one . at this point were thinking we have a right machine on our hands for a grey,after that day it never caught another but always run well, how strange.

Guest Moscow

Iam with CP on this one, greyhound is there mainly for the speed, other breeds are added to suite the ground and quarry.

The main problem with greyhounds and heavily saturated greyhound crosses is injury and sometimes lack of wind.

• Like 3
Guest bezza

Cheers.

Drive

Courage, desire to chase.biddability and athleticism.I think some of these attributes are lacking or diluted in other sight hounds.

• Like 1

If you've got some seriously rough terrain to run then i'd forget it.....poor bugger would be in the kennel more than in the field.... :thumbs:

Not entirely true,ive owned a couple,many years ago,the ground they adapted to,one of them was a lethal fox slayer the other ran circles and screamed at em,deadly on the 1st,sometimes 2nd hare that they ran.The biggest drawback was their lack of wind,overtax them and it was a long slog home with a dog on the shoulders.
  • Like 1

Cheers.

Drive

Courage, desire to chase.biddability and athleticism.I think some of these attributes are lacking or diluted in other sight hounds.

exactly never thought someone like you CP would ask that working ones must be thinner on the ground than i thought
Guest born to run1083

Cheers.

This is what I argue about alot on here lol I think alot just see It your way. But to me especially myself owning a first x I want to know what the greys like in the field as it's holding 50% of my f gene pool. Greyhounds are not kill all dogs just like bull x's ain't all fox dogs. Stock has to be tested so we are not breeding from under rated stock. The grey is no different. I feel it should be tested just as hard as any other breed added to a line. I've seen my dads greys when there was no ban smash fox for a few years then out the blue stop or start fecking about, same on bambi would you want that to be 50% of your future dogs genes in the line I know if I was after a veriety of quarry I wouldn't I would want it off something with a longevity in the field. My dads owned a few of this type in his years. Greys are no different to any other breed they should be tested just like everything else. Start as you mean to go on. Its no a rant just a strong view and good healthy debate lol

• Like 1
Guest born to run1083

If you've got some seriously rough terrain to run then i'd forget it.....poor bugger would be in the kennel more than in the field.... :thumbs:

Not entirely true,ive owned a couple,many years ago,the ground they adapted to,one of them was a lethal fox slayer the other ran circles and screamed at em,deadly on the 1st,sometimes 2nd hare that they ran.The biggest drawback was their lack of wind,overtax them and it was a long slog home with a dog on the shoulders.

Aye my dads runs his grey on the mountains round here with my collie/grey seems to with stand it ok. Even on the quarries and reclaimed tips. If I had to name a fault my dad will openly tell anyone is he will never stay still always has to be on the go, so wouldn't make much of a ferreting dog. And if caught a big rabbit a huge distance away it will only retrieve to about 40ft away.

Guest born to run1083

Cheers.

This is what I argue about alot on here lol I think alot just see It your way. But to me especially myself owning a first x I want to know what the greys like in the field as it's holding 50% of my f gene pool. Greyhounds are not kill all dogs just like bull x's ain't all fox dogs. Stock has to be tested so we are not breeding from under rated stock. The grey is no different. I feel it should be tested just as hard as any other breed added to a line. I've seen my dads greys when there was no ban smash fox for a few years then out the blue stop or start fecking about, same on bambi would you want that to be 50% of your future dogs genes in the line I know if I was after a veriety of quarry I wouldn't I would want it off something with a longevity in the field. My dads owned a few of this type in his years. Greys are no different to any other breed they should be tested just like everything else. Start as you mean to go on. Its no a rant just a strong view and good healthy debate lol

SORRY CP JUST READ YOUR POST AND MINE BACK LOL IM BLEATING ON ABOUT ANOTHER TOPIC ALL TOGETHER

Thing lay off thl when been on the beers

Soz lol

Cheers.

Drive

exactly never thought someone like you CP would ask that working ones must be thinner on the ground than i thought

You are missing my point..... courage, bull or beddy will give you that! Desire to chase, any sight hound will give you that ! Biddability, your'e having a laugh ! Athletiicism, any well conditioned dog will give that ! If Greyhounds have EVERYTHING, why do we breed Lurchers ??

Let's not make this "CP hates Greyhounds" ! As I said, I like at least 50% Grey in my dogs, but I stand by what I say, Greyhound is only there for the speed !

As for drive, I've seen Greys run thru' barbed wire fences and hawthorn hedges after there pray, but I've also seen them with as much drive as a clockwork train !! I videod the last Waterloo Cup, and quite frankly some of the dogs were embarrasing ! Giving up the chase not only when the hare hit the rough, but even when the hare was "live" !!

Cheers.

• Like 2
Guest Moscow

Good post born to run1083 the correct blood is very very important regardless if it comes from the greyhound,collie,bull etc etc.

A greyhound could be a champion on the track but will that always make it suitable to breed working lurchers? not necessarily would be my answer.

• Like 3