border terrier's

Well thats the end of a dig mate after the quarry was shot and i honestly dont know if there is another terrier there, a lad had a young bitch out that day with us for a look but that was black.I can see my welly boot though.

I put this dig on another forum, can't remember if i put it on this forum though,

Two terriers here as we were back filling. Bitch got caught twice by her fox, one wound went 'bad' and the bitch was badly for a while.

You may have guessed she is a bayer and don't mix it.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dam of my bitch has done some earth work :yes: , I would love to try mine on some bigger game, but it doesnt look very likely because i struggle to find any earths :cry: , maybe that'll change once i'm driving next year :hmm::) .... :whistle:

I would be very interested to know some more about some of the working strains? does anybody know owt??

Edited by borderboy

Well thats the end of a dig mate after the quarry was shot and i honestly dont know if there is another terrier there, a lad had a young bitch out that day with us for a look but that was black.I can see my welly boot though.

:blink: it just looked like a black terrier on the right of pic mate. :hmm: .but like you said, maybe its your welly.. ;)

:clapper:B)B):drink:

The dam of my bitch has done some earth work :yes: , I would love to try mine on some bigger game, but it doesnt look very likely because i struggle to find any earths :cry: , maybe that'll change once i'm driving next year :hmm::) .... :whistle:

I would be very interested to know some more about some of the working strains? does anybody know owt??

All the time your walking mate your keeping yourself and your dog fitter :yes:

With regard to working styles, and bare in mind i'm no expert, it really depends on the dog. The line my bitch is off going back to her grandma anyway, were steady bayers/ mixers. A younger sister out of the same mother to my bitch was a phsyco, absolutely radged. My old dog ( dead ) used to love being bitten and would take loads of punishment before deciding to smash his fox up.

I know folk who have Borders that kill when they can and others that draw when they can. All in, if you have a Border try and work it and keep it off rabbits and the like. they are working terriers when given the chance, but i will say i know lots of people who don't get on with them and wont kennel on as they have seen them jib.

End of the day you keep what you keep to do the job for you, if your happy then there really is no one else to please. My opinion of coarse and not to be taken litterally.

Guest karlos

I plan on working mine to ground .. sire works big red regulary and dam self entered on ole red at 6 & 1/2 month and did the biz shes 100%! My boys from working stock (KC'd though dont plan on working him on them rosettes though bit hard for my pup!!) and seems game as hell! So fingers crossed he'll be working to ground by the end of next season! :D

All the time your walking mate your keeping yourself and your dog fitter yes.gif

Very true, but there's only so many mile you can cover in a day :cry: ....

Does anybody else know any more about working borders?

It looks as though working borders were pretty common in the '80's and '90's after looking through various older books and magazines :hmm: ... Have they faded that much in that short time? :cry: .....

Out on a wander with black one! :icon_eek:

Edited by borderboy
Guest ragumup

My bitch is only a bayer but she is a stayer, iv had a few borders over the years but this is the only one that was any good :hmm:

Edited by ragumup
Guest ragumup

My bitch is only a Bayer but she is a stayer, iv had a few borders over the years but this is the only one that was any good :hmm:

How many have you had? :) Were they from any well known lines/strains? :hmm:

Four , one from fife and kinross working terrier club stuff ,one from hunt kennels stuff ,one from a gamekeeper and was supposed to be working line my arse :no: the bitch in the pics off show stuff :icon_eek: but she"ll be a one off iv no doubt,I prefer my patts now though

Guest ragumup
......(ragumup)..Four , one from fife and kinross working terrier club stuff..
how did that one work out ragumup..?

It walked away from foxes in the end and didnt wont to know, even though its dad is a hard dog

• 8 months later...
All the time your walking mate your keeping yourself and your dog fitter yes.gif

Very true, but there's only so many mile you can cover in a day :cry: ....

Does anybody else know any more about working borders?

It looks as though working borders were pretty common in the '80's and '90's after looking through various older books and magazines :hmm: ... Have they faded that much in that short time? :cry: .....

Out on a wander with black one! :icon_eek:

I found a working border by ringing advertising breeders and just asking if the parents worked (some put the phone down) but got a cracker,quite a big dog at 15" and 9.5 kilo and carries no fat.I have yet to see him turn away from anything,he's as game as .... scared of .... all,and he cuddles up to the misses in the evening.the dog was from England near the Welsh border(a border from the border),both sire and dam are workers KC reg but its no crufts dog!paid 400 for it though :o but the way I look at it,you've got the dog for a long time,get the one you need.