Dog Feet

Guest Lurchers2006

Guest Lurchers2006

How would you rate your dogs feet? Can you run your dog on any ground or do you pick and choose where you run and what cross is it? I can rum my dog on any ground and he has never hurt his feet, the only injury to him so far being a broken toe nail, :) Hes a fast dog so am surprised because some fields he runs on can be a little rough to say the least, :laugh:

never had a problem with my boys feet, he'll run on any ground without coming to harm. the only injury he's had was when he trod on a bit of glass in my garden & cut a toe pad open. my landlord didn't tell me that the garden of my little place used to be the dump for the 2 old cottages :censored: the ground is full of shards of glass. i don't let Gyp out in my garden anymore, i just walk him on the fields. i'd have never got a dog here if i'd known :no:

How would you rate your dogs feet? Can you run your dog on any ground or do you pick and choose where you run and what cross is it? I can rum my dog on any ground and he has never hurt his feet, the only injury to him so far being a broken toe nail, :) Hes a fast dog so am surprised because some fields he runs on can be a little rough to say the least, :laugh:

Wait till a hare takes him down a tarmac road ect and he puts in a turn or two...............then tell me how good his feet are :whistle:

Guest Lurchers2006

Believe me when I say this dog has good feet a 5 minute walk from my house theres fields that are being turned into a building site but work stopped a few months ago now its just a few big fields gravel, bricks and pipes scattered everywhere yet all around these fields are hares and foxes that when run occasionally turn into the building site resulting in a heart in your mouth course :cry:

My mates dog broke 2 toes here 2 months ago yet mine has yet to come to harm :whistle: :D

Believe me when I say this dog has good feet a 5 minute walk from my house theres fields that are being turned into a building site but work stopped a few months ago now its just a few big fields gravel, bricks and pipes scattered everywhere yet all around these fields are hares and foxes that when run occasionally turn into the building site resulting in a heart in your mouth course :cry:

My mates dog broke 2 toes here 2 months ago yet mine has yet to come to harm :whistle: :D

What cross is he bud and what do you put on his feet..........are they tie-ups or slip-ons :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

[/quot

unless its a spaniel your running i wouldent temp fate ;)

Guest Lurchers2006

unless its a spaniel your running i wouldent temp fate ;)

I dont want to mate but if a hare takes your dog there from 3 fields away what can you do? Theres not many hares by me and this place has a fare head of them, id rather take a risk and run him than not run him at all ;)

Edited by Lurchers2006
Guest MOLLY

Lurcher bitch has lovely tight cat feet and untill this season at 8yrs has never had any problem with her feet.

Lurcher dog has huge hare feet and has nearly 50% knocked up toes......probably because he ran on rubble where i just walk them!

MOLL.

Got quite a variation in ground where I am, South Downs. Top of the hill is flint and chalk whereas the north side is very sandy in these parts. Fresh drill on the top of the downs can be pretty rough until a season’s rain brings what little soil there is to the top, the area I usually run the dog on are sandy/meadows. If we’re out for an occasional mooch on rough ground Meg’ appears to have the sense to hold back and watch her footing. I also exercise her on the beach and you can’t get much rougher than that!...Touch wood, she’s never injured her feet! My previous lurcher only ever one small foot injury, maybe I don’t work my dogs as hard as some or maybe I’m careful!...Either way I would rate her feet excellent!.. :victory:

My Saluki X has pretty good feet & toes ... I just have problems with Stoppers

I'm on the South Downs as well and theres some nasty flint around

Mike - your dog has an amazing stride

Edited by olly

Yea she likes a good stretch.. ;)

Went for a mooch over some water meadows near me today, she must have got stung/pricked or bitten as a front paw has swollen up. Noticed it after she'd been asleep on the sofa, was ok when she was out so I'm quite confident its not a running injury, swelling appears to be going down already.. :yes:

Fortunatley I don't have to work the dog on that ground, just pass through on occasion. I'm blessed with good ground for running Meg' as you can see in the pictures.

There was just the one occasion she went off on the very same flinty fields... :whistle:

I can assure you it was unexpected and just off the footpath!

Edited by MikeTheDog
Got quite a variation in ground where I am, South Downs. Top of the hill is flint and chalk whereas the north side is very sandy in these parts. Fresh drill on the top of the downs can be pretty rough until a season’s rain brings what little soil there is to the top, the area I usually run the dog on are sandy/meadows. If we’re out for an occasional mooch on rough ground Meg’ appears to have the sense to hold back and watch her footing. I also exercise her on the beach and you can’t get much rougher than that!...Touch wood, she’s never injured her feet! My previous lurcher only ever one small foot injury, maybe I don’t work my dogs as hard as some or maybe I’m careful!...Either way I would rate her feet excellent!.. :victory:

Them flints look about the same ground as we got here,we got no choice as theyre all the same here.

never had the problem on the same ground here years ago its how the ground is mismanaged now by the farmers. :no: