Haven't used the TFG reels but they look good. I used a couple of Mordex majors, but a mate of mine bought the the Marco Cortesi reel from Used Tackle, and having tried it I immediately bought two. They are made of aluminium, have a 4 1/2 inch diameter drum, 1" wide, twin handle, ratchet, movable line guard, and spins like a dream. I spun it with my finger and it ran for for 2 minutes and 20 seconds. And all this for £30.00 For that price you can't go wrong.

havnt used a centre pin in now on 40 year seemed to be more popular back then , used to use them on the ouse when we visited my grandparents , spent hours trotting for barbel, the centre pin seemed to turn for an eternity back then :laugh: hope this topic takes of as this is bringing back fond memories for me :thumbs:

• Like 2

ive got an adcock/stanton they are quality. use mine on the trent and severn. they make fishing enjoyable even if you dont catch much[which is generally the case for me]would recommend them but i know they arent cheap.

• Like 1

Get an Okuma, I got one and couldn't believe how good they are for the money

I,ve also looked at them but i could,nt see a line guard in the pics, do they have one john. When i were young i had a Match ariel which were very good but i cant justify spending that kind of money, at the mo i,ve got a Leeds centre pin but it doesnt have handles, you have to bat it, it doesnt run too well either TBH, so i,ll more than likely opt for one of the cheaper ones, keep them recomendations comming lads, cant beat first hand experience, buster.

I've got more 'pins than you can shake a stick at, old and new. A used Stanton might be a great buy, but in reality it won't be much cheaper than a new Sheffield and might be a bag of poo. Some of the early ones had chrome bearings that rusted solid. Don't get me wrong, I love my Stanton, but it cost me more than I paid for it to have it fettled and sorted. Match Aerials can also be pretty poor second hand as the paint is soft and they can have had a hard life. Similarly, Marcos look like good value, but there are reports of them losing important bits and the one i tried that belonged to a friend wasn't that impressive. For your first 'pin get a Sheffield. It is a great reel and if you don't get on with this type of reel you'll get most of your money back selling it second hand.

• Like 1

Having used a Leeds for carp fishing I've just recently purchased an Okuma Sheffield and the quality is amazing and a fantastic looking reel. It spins well but that is not the most important thing it does need a good amount of inertia in the spool once your float is trotting. I shopped around and tried price matching with my local tackle shops but they were unable to match the penny under a £120 from the bay. Using mine at present freelining crust down some boily runs for chub when standing in the river, very exciting stuff. And with a pin you really do feel connected to the fish. Just need to find the cash for a decent trotting rod such as the J W Young 13ft Trotter (anyone know if these are any good - some offers on the internet at the moment.). Chris

As regards trotting rods Chris, i dont use stick rods for stick fishing, i use an Diawa Amorphous waggler super light. I used to fish the tidal trent alot [roach heaven in its day] and found to my cost that when i struck into a bonus fish useing light hooklengths it would snap if i were useing a stick rod as the blank would stiffen up to much after the spliced tip were as a waggler rod blank bends right through to the but, a tip i got of a local angler called Tommy Pickering, who happend to be on the next peg in a match, think he might have been the world champion at the time :toast: , a super light might not suit you for chub fishing but IMHO a good waggler rod is the way to go, regards, buster.

• Like 2

Well i,ve taken the plunge and bought a Okuma Aventa VT 1002, got it via ebay this afternoon for £47,i,d have liked the Sheffield but couldnt afford it TBH :icon_redface: its supposed to be a good trotting reel but time will tell, i think its proberbly the best i could buy for less than £50, i,ll give you a honest opinion of it when it lands and i get chance to use it, anyone else used one for trotting

Well i,ve taken the plunge and bought a Okuma Aventa VT 1002, got it via ebay this afternoon for £47,i,d have liked the Sheffield but couldnt afford it TBH :icon_redface: its supposed to be a good trotting reel but time will tell, i think its proberbly the best i could buy for less than £50, i,ll give you a honest opinion of it when it lands and i get chance to use it, anyone else used one for trotting

You got a bargain there mate, you would of got it cheaper if i hadn't been bidding against you :laugh: only messing, you've got a good reel there mate, supposed to be a very good reel, and at a good price, hope you christen it first trot through, let us know how it deal's with a day's fishing. :thumbs: