vet details/advice needed

i had a Whippet x Greyhound that knocked a toe up, first it went to the vet who cut the nail to the quick, causing it to bleed, then Bone radiol was applied,

i took him to a top greyhound man, who owned open racers, he was one of the first to have a lazer, he had a course of treatment.

but everytime he ran the toe bothered him, so in the end it was removed.

dont know if it was the pressure of having a toe off this foot, as he later knocked up another on the same foot, and he wasn't being run on hard ground,

maybe he just hadn't good feet, one reason i got him was to use him on my Bedlington X Whippets, but because of the foot problems i never did.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Millet, without seeing the toe we are all just guessing based off past experience   Yes pin fire is done to encourage callous and fusing of the bone, the one I got done never worked.   Moscow had

running alongside a bike doesnt put the same stress on the toes as a good course the joint in the toe cold be minus cartlidge or anything There is a vet in Royton Lancashire Paul Evans one of the best

if you took a bit of his nail back it wouldnt be putting pressure on his toe as much but had a few like this and doing this does help atb but you could go on and on with it so best option would be s

Posted Images

Thanks for the comments an the pms. Ill try paul evans and see what he says. I cant do anything until a week today anyway but ill let you know what he says.

The dog is only 2 years old and rehoming to a pet home is no option for me - not in my moral code im afraid.

Ill try keeping his nails short and biking him as it doesnt seem to have a negative effect. If nothing can be done and it doesnt improve, he will still get his fair share as he is a good ferreting dog.

Thanks again for the comments. This site is at its best when someone is after advice and people are willing to help!

ATB

Sam

• Like 1

Thanks for his details Mally. Ill be in touch with him as everyones recommending him

you could also try robert meek hes a bit closer to home he runs a surgery at his brothers place on the coleford road about ten mile the other side of monmouth . hes there every sunday .you should get his number on this site

Robert Meek isn't a vet....

i know .he aint .but he will put most vets to shame when it comes to diagnosing skeletal and soft tissue injurys :thumbs:

Wouldn't let him treat any of my dogs mate, i've 2 mates with dogs without toes due to going to Robert first instead of a good greyhound vet first, Every injury Robert treats he tells them to rest for 3 weeks and then they will be ok!!! Horse's for course's mate but i certainly wouldn't recommend him

Guest Moscow

Wouldn't let him treat any of my dogs mate, i've 2 mates with dogs without toes due to going to Robert first instead of a good greyhound vet first, Every injury Robert treats he tells them to rest for 3 weeks and then they will be ok!!! Horse's for course's mate but i certainly wouldn't recommend him

:icon_eek: that doesnt sound good :no:

As with any non vet: bone man, chiropractor or whatever, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I use George Drake for suspected tendon or ligament problems, but Robert for general stuff: muscles etc. The only problem with Robert is that because he was a human trained osteopath before he went into dogs, he's not quite as hot on some of the soft tissue injuries. But I always use a greyhound vet first if possible, though even they have failed to diagnose a problem on occasion.

• Like 1

Some dogs have bad feet in there breeding usuaally fast fast dogs with whippet or greyhoound prone too toe injurys turning fast. As for ths dog seems its prob is when it has run its a old injury so toe be calloused it will be the callous breaking up its like cement if it not affecting dog turning or performance wudnt worry about it don't thk much can do now as will get worse due to arthritis maybe cut back dogs work load. Wudnt recommend toe off I found weakens other toes beside it. I was told before if dog does toe out on land if you nail clippeers avaible cut nail right back in a stream or river let bllod flow out plus cold water on injury it helps toe not to swell cuz once toe injured like all injurys blood rushes to effected area as a protection. Jmo.

• Like 1

if you took a bit of his nail back it wouldnt be putting pressure on his toe as much

but had a few like this and doing this does help atb

but you could go on and on with it so best option would be see a vet and see what

he recomends :thumbs:

• Like 2