vet details/advice needed

Ive got a whippet type dog and over last season he picked up a knocked up toe on his front foot. He was given plenty of rest and i seeked the advice of a vet too. They just said to give it about a month of rest and it should be fine.

I did this and after that time i carried on goin lamping etc but every now and then after a run he was lame on the same foot for a day or so. This didnt happen every time, or even just on long runs, there was no rhyme or reason to it. Again, i spoke to the vet who said that i probably didnt give it enough time so to cut a long story short, i ended cutting my season short by stopping in feb.

Today was the first time since feb that he has had a run on a rabbit, albeit unintentionally. It was a good run with about 4 or 5 turns back on itself and resulted in a catch. After dispatching the rabbit i noticed that he was light on the same foot again. I am baffled as he's had 4 months of taking it easy with a walk every day of between an hour and 2 hours (most off the lead) and hes also run alongside me while biking with no problem.

Has anyone heard or experienced this before or know of a good vet in the north wales area as im not willing to line the pockets of my usual vets for them to tell me that he needs more rest. Iscthere anything i can do to help this?

Sorry for the essay!

ATB

Sam

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Millet, without seeing the toe we are all just guessing based off past experience   Yes pin fire is done to encourage callous and fusing of the bone, the one I got done never worked.   Moscow had

running alongside a bike doesnt put the same stress on the toes as a good course the joint in the toe cold be minus cartlidge or anything There is a vet in Royton Lancashire Paul Evans one of the best

if you took a bit of his nail back it wouldnt be putting pressure on his toe as much but had a few like this and doing this does help atb but you could go on and on with it so best option would be s

Posted Images

running alongside a bike doesnt put the same stress on the toes as a good course the joint in the toe cold be minus cartlidge or anything There is a vet in Royton Lancashire Paul Evans one of the best running dog vets in the country bit of a trip for you but he would sort it

Edited by desertbred
  • Like 2

From my experience there is no cure other than amputation Sam, and that option is also dependant upon which toe, sorry.

Many pet vets do not realise the stresses and strains involved in chasing rabbits on a dogs body, hence him being ok with general toning and exercise.

From my experience there is no cure other than amputation Sam, and that option is also dependant upon which toe, sorry.

Many pet vets do not realise the stresses and strains involved in chasing rabbits on a dogs body, hence him being ok with general toning and exercise.

spot on moll, :thumbs:

Thanks for the info moll. That was the last thing i wanted to hear to be honest but thanks again.

I will try and get hold of this Paul Evans but does anyone know of any others? Im not overly fussed on how far away it is as long as they're good and it isnt landsend or somewhere!

ATB

Sam

I asked if the toe still appeared swollen, as once it is set hard there is nothing that can be done i am afraid. But the running dog vet will be able to give you an indication if it is a toe suitable for amputation :thumbs:

If you cant go down the amputation route, you can still work the dog. It really depends upon how much work you want the dog for. If you are going out once or twice per week than there is no reason why the dog cannot still work. But you will have to give it time off in between with painkillers.

It is caused by injury not breeding, (although some types of feet are more prone to picking up injury) just one of those unlucky things i'm afraid, it has happened to us all.

• Like 1
Guest Moscow

Before you run the dog give it plenty of bike road work, mag box and bone radiol it twice a day for two weeks. If this doesnt work find a vet who will pin fire but that doesnt always work. Last resort is removal but if the toe is calloused it should not need to be removed.

Guest Moscow

Also, can anyone tell me what causes this? Is it breeding or something that I'm doing wrong/not doin enough of as i have a pup now that I obviously dont want to go the same way?

ATB

Sam

Sounds like it has been broke it can happen to the best of dogs of any breed

Before you run the dog give it plenty of bike road work, mag box and bone radiol it twice a day for two weeks. If this doesnt work find a vet who will pin fire but that doesnt always work. Last resort is removal but if the toe is calloused it should not need to be removed.

I have never heard of a healed callosed toe being fired Moscow..the firing set's the toe solid and by the sound of it this dog's toe has allready healed solid..if not then firing it could help.. :thumbs: ..i have only seen one toe that has been fired and it was a front middle toe that kept popping out of joint and pointing north.. :D ..after it was pin fired the dog never ever had anymore trouble with it..

I had a dog several year's ago with crap feet and in the end he had to be rehomed as a pet because he had 3 calloused toe's on his front feet and one that kept popping out of joint.. :blink: ..i did try the bone radial stuff what i got of a greyhound lad..but it never worked..

Good luck Terrier Sam. :victory:

Guest Moscow

Millet, without seeing the toe we are all just guessing based off past experience :yes:

Yes pin fire is done to encourage callous and fusing of the bone, the one I got done never worked.

Moscow had 2 toes calloused one on each front foot they never bothered him.

The bone radiol mag box treatment has worked on dogs for me but it was done straight after the injury :thumbs:

Depending on which toe it is, removal can be bad because it puts added pressure on the remaining toes which is not good :no:

I would always seek opinion off someone who knows what there talking about ie boneman or a vet 1st and foremost before I took advice on here!

• Like 3