thank you to all that have replied and thank you penny for the detail and offer. i have been thinking about all that has been said and have decided to do a combi of things .the time out method coupled with not having any playfull interaction in the house. myself and my wife have had a chat and have devised a routine that we can both be consistant with so hope( dogs name ) can understand her place. going to use the ouch method aswell steve as it worked with faye and i have had a positive reaction with hope with it today . she has had her first jab today and is feeling rather sorry for herself and is the the model dog right now. thanks to all

When you play with your pup, let her mouth on your hands. Continue play until she bites hard. When she does, immediately give a high-pitched yelp, as if you’re hurt, and let your hand go limp. This should startle your puppy and cause her to stop mouthing you . Praise your puppy for stopping or for licking you. Resume whatever you were doing before. If your pup bites you hard again, yelp again. Repeat these steps no more than three times within a 15-minute period. If you find that yelping alone doesn’t work, you can switch to a time-out . When your puppy delivers a hard bite, yelp loudly. Then, when she startles and turns to look at you or looks around, remove your hand. Either ignore her for 10 to 20 seconds or, if she starts mouthing on you again, get up and move away for 10 to 20 seconds. After the short time-out, return to your pup and encourage her to play with you again. teach her that gentle play continues, but painful play stops.works for me she will soon get the idea

Spot on, the yelp/scream does work, at first shocks the pup, that is the time to then withdraw. Follow it on with a firm NO, or whatever word you will use for times you want the pup to stop what it is doing. Don't just keep on doing it though unless you withdraw all attention immediately.

When you play with your pup, let her mouth on your hands. Continue play until she bites hard. When she does, immediately give a high-pitched yelp, as if you’re hurt, and let your hand go limp. This should startle your puppy and cause her to stop mouthing you . Praise your puppy for stopping or for licking you. Resume whatever you were doing before. If your pup bites you hard again, yelp again. Repeat these steps no more than three times within a 15-minute period. If you find that yelping alone doesn’t work, you can switch to a time-out . When your puppy delivers a hard bite, yelp loudly. Then, when she startles and turns to look at you or looks around, remove your hand. Either ignore her for 10 to 20 seconds or, if she starts mouthing on you again, get up and move away for 10 to 20 seconds. After the short time-out, return to your pup and encourage her to play with you again. teach her that gentle play continues, but painful play stops.works for me she will soon get the idea

Spot on, the yelp/scream does work, at first shocks the pup, that is the time to then withdraw. Follow it on with a firm NO, or whatever word you will use for times you want the pup to stop what it is doing. Don't just keep on doing it though unless you withdraw all attention immediately.

with the greatest respect Moll i rather not have to keep telling the pup off for doing things it feels compelled by its nature to do, the yelping/screaming at the pup is just like putting a band aid on an infection, what im saying is the problem of the pups energy is still there, thats what needs addressing not confronting,

once you block a natural behavior by confrontation it hasn't gone away it will just come out in another form, mostly when the objecting owner is not around,

id rather let the pup get it out of its system and work with it manage it , show him where to use his energy and what form it should take,

please dont take this up as having a go , but i feel we get the best out of them by working with their nature not confronting it,,

with the greatest respect Moll i rather not have to keep telling the pup off for doing things it feels compelled by its nature to do, the yelping/screaming at the pup is just like putting a band aid on an infection, what im saying is the problem of the pups energy is still there, thats what needs addressing not confronting,

once you block a natural behavior by confrontation it hasn't gone away it will just come out in another form, mostly when the objecting owner is not around,

id rather let the pup get it out of its system and work with it manage it , show him where to use his energy and what form it should take,

please dont take this up as having a go , but i feel we get the best out of them by working with their nature not confronting it,,

I dont think you are having a go at all Casso :thumbs:

But to me a yelp, is the same as a litter mate would do once hurt, so to me it is not blocking a pups natural behaviour, but reacting in a natural way. The NO command in conjunction with this is just a way of teaching the pup in a subversive way whilst reacting in a natural way to stop whatever it is doing. Of course you would find something else for the pup to play with afterwards for it to release it's energy/drive/desire....something which does not mind the pain and does not yelp :D

But to me a yelp, is the same as a litter mate would do once hurt, so to me it is not blocking a pups natural behaviour, but reacting in a natural way. The NO command in conjunction with this is just a way of teaching the pup in a subversive way whilst reacting in a natural way to stop whatever it is doing. Of course you would find something else for the pup to play with afterwards for it to release it's energy/drive/desire....something which does not mind the pain and does not yelp :D

understood moll :thumbs:

understood moll :thumbs:

Reading back to what i originally wrote Casso, it does look like i meant for all fun to stop when i said withdraw attention immediately. I was thinking along the lines of his child doing it, thinking a child may do the yelp, then continue to play in the same way and continue to yelp, meaning the pup would then see the yelp as just another part of the game. It is sometimes hard to put down in type in the correct way, everything you have in your head at the time :D

right i have only had to use the time out once tonight so far we have had several play sessions out side burning off pent up energy and she has had no exitable engagement in the house and she is undercontrol of herself at the present. i think it will take a while and a lot of repertition to get her to fully understand.

in view of thinking ahead i think that when i have put her into her create for a time out on some ocations she is going to whine and howl at this point do would you sugest that i ignore it and carry on as norm or should i leave her to stop before returnig to her and letting her back into our personal space. she is quite a vocal dog and although this is yet to happen i fully expect it to .do you think that leaving her is going to confuse the origanal intentions of the time out or could relesing her as normal just encorage her whining