i have now got a bedi whippet pup of 9 weeks old who is a very determened little bitch . she is settling into our home well in many ways her toilet training is first class she is a very clean dog and has taken to it very well. my problem is her constant biting. she is very driven and confident her biting is getting much more intence and has drew blood from me a couple of times. when she is getting into this she becomes consumed by it and is relentless. when she starts i try to defect her intencity into something more constructive like gentle tug she loves retrieving as a result of how we play tug so we do that to my question is has anyone got any sugestions on what to do as i dont want it to get borring for her doing the same things . i will have a good walk in my armory after her jabs but any sugestions for her entertainment or getting her to stop. telling her no, which she understands dont work i gave her a little shake as i had seen her mother do ( i visited the litter to observe often)when she got to intence with my young son which just made the red mist desend and she had to be put in another room for a while. any sort of constriction like just keeping her next to you sends her crazy. force isnt an option for me plus she may be determend underneith she is a sensetive little thing. any thoughts. cheers

If she bites hard again and its sore or draws blood either start by squeezing her front paw till she lets out a yelp or a bit harder way of training is bite her on her ear bk everytime she bites you, i ai.t had much doings with whippet pups etc myself but plenty upbringing with lab pups and springers and this is method we have used and always succesful i know it sounds a bit hard but an old saying you got to be cruel to be kind! Atb geo

she sounds like a little demon, what works for me bud after years of making a balls of it , is not getting the pup worked up in the house, the pup is programmed to make contact with what is it primary tool of contact , its mouth, its natural canine behavior,

we dont expect young kids not to explore their environment through touch and we make sure they dont put things in their mouth to taste and bite and its just the same with a puppy

its difficult i know , but i give pup feck all attention in the home that way it dont associate the house as a play area,

i dont confront the pup for any canine behavior , ever, i manage the pup and its surrounding to the max,

the pup is either in its crate resting , if its not its out the back using up energy, but not running round in the house until it can differentiate between outside play inside rest,

it may sound harsh but the pup dont know any differ, but what it does is it makes the dogs completely bomb proof in the house because they have never learnt to chew or bite or act the maggot in the home, they come in and lie down and dont look for any attention or hassle anyone

it also prevents the dog having a panic attack when we leave and redecorating the living room cushions or curtains

let the pup out of the crate, straight out the back , once it goes to the toilet and runs round , then give it attention when its in a calm frame of mind, that way the pup learns it get attention only in a calm frame of mind ,

thats whats works for me bud , best of luck with it whatever way you approach it,

She goes near ur kid give her a good belt mate otherwise ul have a tougher choice if she draws blood from him like all dogs they need a pack leader which in this business is there owner someone they look upto an know tht they're the boss I'm not sayin beat the shit out her but be firm a little slap an a strong tone she ll toe the line jus don't give into er afterwards ignore her so she knows there's boundarys

john russel giving this puppy a good slap would mean an instant loss of bond and all pregress lost she is learning her place in our household through consitancy i wont lay hads on her ever in that form dogs are instinctual and all her antics are just simply canine behavour. my whole way of training is baced on her bieng an active not reactive dog hitting her would cause her much stress and result in complications directly with me or enviromental. we are still workibg each other out and seeing the best way to gell and unless her pubishment was done at the exact time she was commiting her offence or thinking of it she would see it as a slap with no relevence. thankyou for input all the same going to see what a few people say as its much harder to correct the prevent.

penny would be interested on your view to this

the idea of her not having any exitable engagement in the house is interesting and i can see the logic . would be hard to execute as my wife may not be as consistant as me but i am open to ideas

it is a difficult one to put in place the rest of the house need to be on board with it

, its based on the fact that if the pup isn't given a chance to feck up in the home he can never be corrected for fecking things up and the relationship stays rock solid and positive as the pup develops, i will never raise a pup any other way because what i need most of all is for the pup to have nothing but positive interactions with me, and to understand , inside rest outside play , it works well,,hope ya find something that works, its a very trying time but it dont last for ever bud

When you play with your pup, let her mouth on your hands. Continue play until she bites hard. When she does, immediately give a high-pitched yelp, as if you’re hurt, and let your hand go limp. This should startle your puppy and cause her to stop mouthing you . Praise your puppy for stopping or for licking you. Resume whatever you were doing before. If your pup bites you hard again, yelp again. Repeat these steps no more than three times within a 15-minute period. If you find that yelping alone doesn’t work, you can switch to a time-out . When your puppy delivers a hard bite, yelp loudly. Then, when she startles and turns to look at you or looks around, remove your hand. Either ignore her for 10 to 20 seconds or, if she starts mouthing on you again, get up and move away for 10 to 20 seconds. After the short time-out, return to your pup and encourage her to play with you again. teach her that gentle play continues, but painful play stops.works for me she will soon get the idea

• Like 3

my terrier pup used to bite alot,i think its when their teething is one reason why,i learnt to just divert her attention to sumthing else,they like this plastic bacon flavoured chew toy i got from tesco,a plastic bottle is another thing they like to chase and chew.another thing i did was when they bit my hand i would grip their top or bottom jaw not hard enough to hurt them just make it uncomftable for them and they soon let go,if she got to hyper i would put her in another room.shes 7month now and alot calmer.am not having the same problems with my whippet pup shes no where near as bad for biting and destroying the house lol

all pups do this... what i did with my terrier when it got too intense is just roll it over n let it calm down... sometimes if he didnt settle id jam is tounge to top of his mouth which he hated and soon relised to much biting = uncomfortable tounge,,didnt hurt him he hust didnt like it...only when he bit hard tho..he still mouths ME (noone else) but only when playing i can rag him all over with his mouth and hell never bite...no loss of bond at all he just learned im the boss..my 6 month old daughter pulls his ears eyes and beard but hee wont flicker cos' he knows humans arnt for biting...still dont leave him alone when shes doin that to him tho

As has been said all pups play fight/bite. I let mine grab my hands, and I don't pull my hand away as that would probably cause me injury. It's all part of growing up, it gets better when their second set of teeth come through, they aint so sharp...lol.

At this age, with fiery pups, you can't shake or hit them as their defense mechanism is geared to fighting their corner in a litter of similar minded pups. When the pup gets over excited put it in its cage, or better still, outside, so it can run and burn off that energy. If you rear a pup in the house you ABSOLUTELY MUST HAVE a cage, especially if you have young children.

The pup is being a feisty pup, and you should NOT let the pup and the child loose together in the same room because the pup hasn't yet learned that the human child isn't a tough skinned litter mate. I've had plenty of pups which bit, and hard: it is a stage they grow out of, but there must be NO aggression towards the pup when it is in an excitable state. If it bites you, pick it up and put it in cage or outside without a word: no growling, hitting or shaking when they're like that because you will come into conflict.

If you take the pup outside and it is still 'on fire' so to speak, run up and down the garden dragging a small furry toy on a piece of string, letting the pup chase you and grab hold of the toy. The pup wants to grab things, more importantly it NEEDS to grab on to things.

Nine weeks of age is very young still, and once the pup knows your house rules: no grabbing on to people's hands, it will settle into your ways, but it HAS to be able to learn your ways without force or aggression from you.

Yes, at one time, I thought I could force a pup to submit to me, holding it down, telling it off, etc etc, but nowadays I'm getting much better results by actually using all that ferocious puppy energy in a positive way and getting the pup to work off that energy in a game which involves me, but not my hands. (hence getting it to chase and sink its teeth into a furry toy)

Puppies which are brought up in a house on their own often don't get enough energy burning things to do: so get the pup to chase you around outside (not in the house: read Casso's post again to see why not), then come back in the house when the pup is tired, and put it in its cage for a sleep: (first making sure that it has peed and crapped outside)

Like you say: the red mist descends and no amount of you getting cross will help, in fact it could damage your relationship with the pup long term. You don't want to be seen as a negative force in the pup's mind.

Don't worry, the pup will learn to control its bite. zx12edge hit the nail on the head in his post: most pups respond well to the OUCH method of teaching not to bite, though to some very terrier minded and fiery pups the ouch only serves to heighten their aggression. One of my Airedale lurchers was like this as a pup: if she knew she'd hurt you, or another pup, you could positively see her go into an even more aggressive state of mind: she seemed to be pure evil, and even at 6 weeks old she would simply walk up to me and bite me hard on the ankle, drawing blood. She got a lot of 'time out' moments: :laugh: being put in a pen on her own, and she did get over it, and now is as gentle with me as could be, and retrieves rabbits live to hand: she saves the biting hard for other things.

So don't think that you have a 'demon' pup on your hands: it will grow out of it as long as you manage this stage correctly, which means no aggression from you; just calm authority. Remember: stroppy pup: time out. Over excited: time out OR a mad game round the garden, but make sure the pup targets the toy you are dragging and not your hand!

You are welcome to come over any time with the pup and I can show you exactly what I mean: words are useful in life, but nothing beats hands on experience.

• Like 2