Best ballast material for shooting bags

Hi folks,

I'm looking for the right medium for ballast in a shooting bag rest as I've got one oredered and I'm not sure what to use.

Sand, grain, rice ?

What do people find as a good medium?

It will be mostly used on the car window if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys,

Duncan

Rice all the way mate, but put a plastic bag line in the bag first, and then pour in the rice. Just to stop the rice turning into gue when it gets wet.

The advantage with rice, is that it is lighter than sand, is nicely solid but also flexible to bed the rifle in................and if you get hungry you can eat it! :D

I suppose grain would also be good, as it is similar to rice, and if you use barley then you could make a nice malt if you get thirsty :D

• Like 1

I use rice as-well. Never put a bag in it and its near wore through on the top now. No problems so far. Left if on the roof one night and drove about ten mile home and it was still on the roof when I got home. Often thought about gettin a piece a flat magnet and gluein it to the inside of the bottom of it to keep it from fallin off the roof.Atb Mark