Seeking advice

talking of drive etc, my pup is constantly biting/mouthing, tried everything - yelping, ignoring, crating him when he's too excited. The first thing he'll do when you pout hands anywhere near him is get his teeth out, not hard, it's almost like it's affection and his way of interacting. He's only just gone 14 weeks old so appreciate he's very young, but any ideas about a way around this?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would have thought a lurcher of the right type would suit your lifestyle,id personally look no further than a 1st cross Collie/Greyhound.With your training capability a dog of this type would flouri

The main difference with the drives between gun dogs and running dogs is that the gun dog can still hold the handler in its term of reference while working much the same as a sheep dog will with its

I am so overcome i really don't know where to start       Firstly thank you to Paulus for nominating and presenting me with this magnificent trophy   To the people who have supported me though

Posted Images

i don't see the difference as being that big......a lab has to sit and wait at the peg with game at times everywhere lots of stimulation other dogs noise etc then eventually it's sent to pick up a strong runner, maybe go through cover or water with a jump or two thrown in..........a lurcher has to sit and wait while the nets are set again lots of stimulation ferrets scratching scents etc then the ferrets go in more stimulation a rabbit hits the net still wait....wait then a second comes from the same hole a real strong runner eh it finds temporary shelter in some rushes or nettles before being flushed and eventually caught and retrieved or........... a spaniel is like a livewire here there and everywhere into this and that and rabbit bolts it waits gets a signal and returns to its hunting...........the lurcher has been waiting for what seems like an age her master setting a long net round some cover or along a hedge now she's expected to work again into all nooks and crannies scent everywhere a rabbit runs and hits the nets its caught ignore it,.. more nooks more scent..............i don't see a world of difference there

I've always thought of 'mouthy' pups as having a much higher drive than some others. Grabbing with their teeth is how they express their drive: I've had two particularly mouthy pups and they are both very driven. When they are not actually working they need to play grab and pull games to satisfy their needs. Try some tug games where the pup will learn what it can grab and what it can't.

• Like 2

talking of drive etc, my pup is constantly biting/mouthing, tried everything - yelping, ignoring, crating him when he's too excited. The first thing he'll do when you pout hands anywhere near him is get his teeth out, not hard, it's almost like it's affection and his way of interacting. He's only just gone 14 weeks old so appreciate he's very young, but any ideas about a way around this?

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/250757-puppy/

Birddog ,i can see from what you've written that your little bitch must be a pleasure to own, she also has you deeply ingrained in her drive process, her ability to practice impulse control shows she has the ability to prolong the drive process for the greater good of the group and that shows a really strong understanding on both parts, your not a million miles from been able to call her off a chase in the right circumstance,if ya cant already,

all we can do on these threads is too generalize about different breeds, there are some really tight man/dog bonds in every canine sport, sometimes something just clicks and an understanding develops on both sides for the greater good of all concerned, wish they could all be like that , but they're not,

good luck with her she sounds like a cracker,

Casso: what do you think of the notion that people should pick puppies in accordance with their own temperament? I see a lot of people who are having a hard time with young dogs, not just because they don't know how to build the right relationship with their dog, but because the dog and the human are not really suited to each other: for example: loud person, shy sensitive dog, or the other way round?

Casso: what do you think of the notion that people should pick puppies in accordance with their own temperament? I see a lot of people who are having a hard time with young dogs, not just because they don't know how to build the right relationship with their dog, but because the dog and the human are not really suited to each other: for example: loud person, shy sensitive dog, or the other way round?

there are alot of misunderstandings out there as far as dogs go, especially what is expected from pups, we expect a different species as in the dog to be completely civilized within a few months of coming into the home and in reality we dont expect it from any other animal or human children

credit to the dog because they have the capacity to adapt to what they must perceive as a totally stressful environment, it just shows the terrific ability in the animal that more of them dont end up chewing us up

i can understand what your saying Penny but i feel whether someone is loud or quiet both have the capacity to understand dogs if they really want to,

they're are of courses cases where it just fits, the thing is within the same litter we are going to get the full range of temperaments from the shy to the driven, shy dogs can be less easily controlled than high driven animals because a shy dog is fear based and fear is untrainable because its instinctive its not learnt behavior, whereas a driven dog can be shaped and molded when you have a handle on him through learn behavior

you right though, a high driven dog is probably more in keeping with a more excitable person,

The dog has two major issues in dealing with us and if we address these we'll find any dog can fit into home life, one is do i feel safe, thats in any given moment, as is the reason why when we make ourselves less predator like and crouch down the dog is more likely to come to us,he feel safer, and the second is what do i do with my energy this is the one where most people run into trouble with dogs, if a dog cant express energy one way , it will seep out in all sorts of unwanted behaviors, everything from barking , digging ,chewing, fighting and destroying stuff, thankfully most of us lurchers owners are on top of the energy situation,

i dont know if ive answered what you've asked Penny i just think we spend too much time trying to have the perfect dog as if it reflects on us, and less time making a proper connection with the mutt,

I guess that what I really mean is that people should take the time to assess themselves when it comes to dogs. If we understand ourselves, how we react in a given situation, why we react in a particular way, we should (in theory!) be better able to adapt our own behaviour to the pup we are trying to train. People who are relatively new to dogs often don't realise how their own behaviour affects the dog.

Being able to read the dog is also important. I've seen some people who say that their dog is 'naughty' when in reality the owners aren't communicating effectively with the dog, and misunderstanding its actions. There should be a 'driving test' for dog owners before they get a dog! Mind you, I've always said the same for people who have children :laugh: :laugh:

I guess im reading between the lines, im assuming, so i could be wrong? Do you want a lurcher to pick up game, or do you mean pursue and collect? I think a lurcher, same as most dogs would be a fine fishing companion, BUT many will get bored and would rather start working the river bank looking for game to find and run. Also what do you want from a dog on shoot days, one for picking up, if so then many dogs will do this, but some shoot captains aren't as understanding if a dog breaks the line to pursue a flushed animal. Perhaps a few points to clarify these questions would give a cleare indication if a lurcher, or what type may or may not be suitable :thumbs:

I do not want a Lurcher to replace a Gundog but to supplement it. If during a daily walk a Spaniel hunts up a rabbit and flushes it from it's seat, the Spaniel should sit(reinforced by whistle command) and remain seated until asked to continue to hunt or to retrieve the shot rabbit. In the requirements I have outlined in my original question, instead of shooting the rabbit, if a Lurcher was present it could be sent to pursue and hopefully catch the prey. Very much like how a Dogs hunts game for a Hawk or Falcon.

I see little difficulty in keeping a Lurcher with me whilst fishing because, as I see it, this is basic obedience or am I being a little naive? Finally in terms of taking a Lurcher on a shoot day, unfortunately, you see fairly frequently, well bred Gundogs of all Breeds running amok, much to the chagrine of their owners (but this is a subject for another day). I would like to think that a Lurcher could/would pickup dead game.

If I wanted to train another dog for purely shooting purposes then I would immediately choose a dog specifically bred for the purpose, but I do not want to leave the Lurcher at home, whilst I go shooting 3/4 times a week in the season, as I said at the begginning of this post I want him/her to supplement my existing dogs - besides I like the look of Lurchers!

Am I asking/expecting too much? Thanks everyone for your contributions.

Edited by wyeman

I guess im reading between the lines, im assuming, so i could be wrong? Do you want a lurcher to pick up game, or do you mean pursue and collect? I think a lurcher, same as most dogs would be a fine fishing companion, BUT many will get bored and would rather start working the river bank looking for game to find and run. Also what do you want from a dog on shoot days, one for picking up, if so then many dogs will do this, but some shoot captains aren't as understanding if a dog breaks the line to pursue a flushed animal. Perhaps a few points to clarify these questions would give a cleare indication if a lurcher, or what type may or may not be suitable :thumbs:

I do not want a Lurcher to replace a Gundog but to supplement it. If during a daily walk a Spaniel hunts up a rabbit and flushes it from it's seat, the Spaniel should sit(reinforced by whistle command) and remain seated until asked to continue to hunt or to retrieve the shot rabbit. In the requirements I have outlined in my original question, instead of shooting the rabbit, if a Lurcher was present it could be sent to pursue and hopefully catch the prey. Very much like how a Dogs hunts game for a Hawk or Falcon.

I see little difficulty in keeping a Lurcher with me whilst fishing because, as I see it, this is basic obedience or am I being a little naive? Finally in terms of taking a Lurcher on a shoot day, unfortunately, you see fairly frequently, well bred Gundogs of all Breeds running amok, much to the chagrine of their owners (but this is a subject for another day). I would like to think that a Lurcher could/would pickup dead game.

If I wanted to train another dog for purely shooting purposes then I would immediately choose a dog specifically bred for the purpose, but I do not want to leave the Lurcher at home, whilst I go shooting 3/4 times a week in the season, as I said at the begginning of this post I want him/her to supplement my existing dogs - besides I like the look of Lurchers!

I personally think that the right type of lurcher would more than meet,possibly surpass,your needs,everything that you require in the dog is there to harness.Whatever you train the dog to undertake will have allready been done thousands of times with individual dogs and owners,the only possible problem you may encounter is finding something more challenging to teach it next.Ive personally trained a lurcher to ignore running game,until required,sit until told to move,fetch when ordered,go in a required direction and stop on command,many others have done the same and much,much more,the dog is limited only by what it is taught and experiences.Take the plunge.
  • Like 1

Wyeman, you are not asking too much. i'm by no menas a great trainer and i dont have the way with words of skycat or casso who seem very much on top of the game, but my dogs will do all you ask, and i have always believed that a working allround lurcher (different to a coursing dog) really isnt worthy of the name unless it is brought on to this sort of standard. get a collie grey and treat it right and you will have full success, of that i have no doubt

many guys use a spaniel or similar for bushing so don't see that as a problem, many lurchers take fur and feather as well as retrieve to the gun, but i've also got to qualify that with not all are the natural retrievers you'll be used to so maybe a wee bit extra work will be needed there, as for the going fishing bit most sighthounds (and your lurcher will be half sighthound) are lazy beggars and would relish the chance of a kip by your side. i'm a great believer in you only get out what you put in and if you put in the same kind of time and commitment into training a greyhound / collie type as you would a spaniel i don't think you'll be asking too much or indeed dissapointed