Fleas and other external parasites...A very cheap and effective solution!!

I responded to another post about fleas but I thought I would repost this with it's own thread.

We have very sandy soil where I live (Wisconsin, USA) and I have only lived in this part of WI. for four years. I had never had much problem with fleas. Well, that wasn't the case after I moved here. The number of fleas the dogs were getting was astonishing to say the least. I keep around 20 dogs and to buy frontline for them all was out of the question because of the price. I'm a bit of a health nut and do not want much for chemicals around my place as it is so I was looking for an alternative. Here is what I found:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

Diatomacious Earth (Food Grade), it's chemical free, it kills anything with an exoskeleton and can be used in many ways other than protecting your dog but for me, the best use was parasite prevention. It's like a flour and I buy it 5 gallons at a time (not sure how many litters that is). I throw a handfull of this stuff in the dogs bedding once a month and the first time I did it it was like they all dissapeared overnight. I found a couple of straggelers the next couple of days but after three days, I could not find one flea on any of my dogs. The other uses are astounding and many. Check it out on the internet. I bought mine off of E-Bay. Talk about cheap! And...you'll use it to kill ants, put it in water to make your wifes skin snap back ten years (maybe yours too) and on and on...

I think this is one of those things that the medical industry keeps us in the dark about because it would cut into their paychecks too much. It's that good.

Here is the link:

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

i tried it, made my dogs sneeze and chough, i dont use frontline either there are cheaper and more effective ways of controlling parasites than microscopic razor sharp dust particles. Do you sell Diatomacious Earth on the side by any chance :laugh:

• Like 2

i tried it, made my dogs sneeze and chough, i dont use frontline either there are cheaper and more effective ways of controlling parasites than microscopic razor sharp dust particles. Do you sell Diatomacious Earth on the side by any chance :laugh:

lol

I've found DE to be very effective against both fleas and dust mites: I rub it into my dogs' fur, and they don't sneeze or cough at all. I also use is as a wormer taken internally: a teaspoon per dog per day: I still use normal wormers, but only as and when I see signs of worms (worm segments in shit, poor coat, bad breath etc) I've certainly noticed a decrease in worms in my dogs since I started using DE. Also use it on the chickens against mites, and didn't have to spray the chicken house with chemicals at all since using it: previously I had a bad problem with red mite. And no, I don't have shares in DE!

• Like 1

I've found DE to be very effective against both fleas and dust mites: I rub it into my dogs' fur, and they don't sneeze or cough at all. I also use is as a wormer taken internally: a teaspoon per dog per day: I still use normal wormers, but only as and when I see signs of worms (worm segments in shit, poor coat, bad breath etc) I've certainly noticed a decrease in worms in my dogs since I started using DE. Also use it on the chickens against mites, and didn't have to spray the chicken house with chemicals at all since using it: previously I had a bad problem with red mite. And no, I don't have shares in DE!

:laugh: as i said i used on all my birds when i had them, but found it caused the dogs to sneeze and cough :thumbs: perhaps my dogs are sensitive :laugh:

It’s predominantly the silica remains of fossilized algae and its seem to kill insect etc by drying out the oils from the exterior whilst perhaps damaging them as well. I’m ever the skeptic but there would seem to be some effect with fleas. For internal parasites it would be unlikely to have an effect as it doesn’t work in moist environments.

I’d say the jury is still out on longer term usage and for now I’ll stick to good kennel management to reduce opportunity for larval development and spot ons as required.

• Like 1

Would this stuff do pigeon lofts

Yes: I used to do my canary aviaries when I kept small birds: in fact I learned about it after I'd had chicks die from mite infestation. Never lost another chick after dusting their nests with DE

paulus- Just messing with you. If it irritated your dogs, there's a good chance it wasn't "food grade" D.E. I rub it on their backs and dust their bedding and have no troubles with respratory irritation.

I had a terrier that smelled the same on both ends and D.E. is the only thing that worked for him. For the record, I didn't smell his other end, I just made an assumption as to the connection. :)

• Like 1

:laugh: as i said i used on all my birds when i had them, but found it caused the dogs to sneeze and cough :thumbs: perhaps my dogs are sensitive :laugh:

probaly too used to being down the bottom of the shed being stroked and watching there master on the computer all hours of the day instead of getting worked!!!

the blokes trying to give good info about DE because alot of people dont know about it! but where's always 1 desktop warrior who's been there done that fcuking know it all! everyone should have this for there dogs its 100% organic...........rant over

• Like 4