open ticket help

A friend of mine is having major problems getting a .243 put on his ticket, he's had a open ticket for over 10 years he already has .223 cf on said ticket along with some other calibres, years ago he had .243 and .308 on his ticket for targets, he's been involved in shooting and fieldsports for over 45 years. Put in for the variation Avon and Somerset says NO. Bit of a puzzler this one

A friend of mine is having major problems getting a .243 put on his ticket, he's had a open ticket for over 10 years he already has .223 cf on said ticket along with some other calibres, years ago he had .243 and .308 on his ticket for targets, he's been involved in shooting and fieldsports for over 45 years. Put in for the variation Avon and Somerset says NO. Bit of a puzzler this one

Probably a new inspector playing god again. Tell him to join SACS and take them to court.

a lot of people think that you can only shoot the land you put down but if your outher permissions have been cleared for your calibre rifle in the past you can shoot there without an open ticket.that is what i have been led to believe.so if it is a small calibre you might be ok?

you can shoot any land deemed suitable by the chief constable for that area and that calibre unless things have changed check with your local fire arms dept

none of the land has been passed no one has ever shot on there with rifles its only a 17 hmr i have

If you make an enquiry with your firearms dept for your area, they will let you know what the land is cleared for. If it hasn't previously been cleared, they have to send an feo to look at the land to assess it.

Make enough enquiries and they will soon open your ticket because 1. you're becoming a nuisance, taking up their time and 2. it's obvious you 'get around' shooting a lot, so an open ticket seems to make sense.

3 years is usually the norm before they'd consider it though. In my area, after 5 years your ticket is made open upon successful renewal.

Probably a new inspector playing god again. Tell him to join SACS and take them to court.

Thats probably it they have just had a major shuffle round in the firearms dept, he has asked for it in writing why they refused him and yes it is going to court

if he has good reason to apply to own one they carnt refuse :thumbs:

I am the guy who is having problems with avon & somerset, they are now saying its on the grounds of public health and safety concerning deer entering the food chain, concerning gralloching of a deer and recognising diseases and disposal of carcass, bearing in mind I have been shooting over 45 years have a open FAC for over 10 years with a .223 cf on it

I am the guy who is having problems with avon & somerset, they are now saying its on the grounds of public health and safety concerning deer entering the food chain, concerning gralloching of a deer and recognising diseases and disposal of carcass, bearing in mind I have been shooting over 45 years have a open FAC for over 10 years with a .223 cf on it

so there trying to get you to dsc1 and 2 :hmm: its not a requirement in law contact basc or whoever your with mate :thumbs:

I finaly got mine open on my ,223 as i was being mythered from chicken farmers to shoot fox but they only had small holdings so kept sending letters in from them and they phoned me to tell me send in my cirtificate and we will open it.......

i applied for my open ticket and all i have had back is this letter the main 4 things they ask for are

1 RELEVANT QUALIFICATIONS

2 WORK RELATED USE OF FIREARMS IN PEST CONTROL

3 APPROPRIATE PUBLIC LIABILITY INSURANCE

4 WRITTEN TESTIMONY OF COMPETENCE AND DECISION MAKING

iam a member of the basc so number 3 is covered i have written permission of all the farms for the use of shotgun and rifle.

so my question is how would you chaps answer these questions ???

cheers airbourne

basc or sacs is no good, if your going to quote wanting it open for pest control WORK, as work is deemed as payed work, and basc or sacs is only unpaid, get yourself a public liability insurance that you pay a yearly fee for, then you can quote its to do with pest control, safe use of rifles at bisley is a good quailification to show them, a writtern testomy could be from your farmer saying how safe you are in the use of shotgun and air rifle, putting in new land to be cleared constantly shows work related to pest control