When is old too old !!

There a few older dogs still working, I think alot of the older dogs still out doing what there are a lot too say for the man at the other side of the lead working/condisioning/rest plus they must of had the best for the start too still be going strong late on.

Ya they'll lose pace ect but there still alot of use's for an experceneced old steady dog....

• Like 1

Lost a 8 year old bitch last night as she broke her neck by hitting a ditch :cray: , cracking looking bitch Omar

Least she had a decent innings and died doing what she injoyed

True enough mate

Lost a 8 year old bitch last night as she broke her neck by hitting a ditch :cray: , cracking looking bitch Omar

Least she had a decent innings and died doing what she injoyed

True enough mate

Sorry to hear your loss , never a nice to lose a dog like that . Just hope it was quick .

Thanks for the comment about my dog (he is a dog not a bitch) .

atb

That's the shit's that bear epecially when she had worked all them year's for you..i had a shit spell about 4yr's ago and lot 3 dog's in the space of 2yr all where around the 8yr old mark.. :cray: ..

The oldest one i have got to till it can no longer work propperly through injury and prang's during there younger day's is 9yr old...and i don't think they will be many hard worked dog's that will get past that age as a worker..

Edited by Millet
  • Like 2

That's the shit's that bear epecially when he ha worke all them year's for you..i ha a shit spell about 4yr's ago and lot 3 dog's in the space of 2yr all where around the 8yr old mark.. :cray: ..

The oldest one i have got to till it can no longer work propperly through injury and prang's during there younger day's is 9yr old...and i don't think they will be many hard worked dog's that will get past that age as a worker..

8 is about the time to retire them, however the 8 year old i have here has other ideas :laugh:
  • Like 2

Sorry to hear that: I know its a shock to lose a dog like that, and 8 isn't that old really, but to be honest, I'd sooner they go doing what they love best, than gradually declining, getting arthritic and suffering from all the old injuries, leaving us to make that hard decision. Having said that, I'm dreading losing my old girl, who is now 10 1/2 and still one of my better finders, even though the younger ones beat her to the punch most of the time.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear that: I know its a shock to lose a dog like that, and 8 isn't that old really, but to be honest, I'd sooner they go doing what they love best, than gradually declining, getting arthritic and suffering from all the old injuries, leaving us to make that hard decision. Having said that, I'm dreading losing my old girl, who is now 10 1/2 and still one of my better finders, even though the younger ones beat her to the punch most of the time.

the old ones have there uses i would miss mine thats for sure a teams a team ;)

My first dog was still catching into her teens, back then I was too young and too keen to ever think of her retirement, as long as she still worked, she was out! Paulus, she looked a bit like your old dog in the pic, snow white head on a younger 'looking' brindled body.

Sadly and stupidly I listened to others, who's younger mutts were getting beaten to the punch by a very expierienced brain and stopped taking her out. To see her decline from fit, healthy and active to a skeletel wreck in months was sickening... Never again, they run till they drop or go 'to live on a farm'...!!!