Terrier-Tracking.

I see that many of you use some form of tracking collar on your terriers when working them.

I never have. Mostly because my biggest problem has not been getting them out of an earth, but knowing which earth one has vanished down in 500 acres. This is due to the nature of much of my hunting. Rather than going out specifically to hunt, my dogs come with me when I'm working. With the best will in the world, I cannot keep my eye on them constantly, and several times I've located one only by backtracking and checking every rabbit-warren, hollow-log and hollow tree within 100 yards of my track.

The collars that I'm familiar with are used on hounds, and so have the range that is important in this situation, but they're far too big to fit on a terrier. Particularly one that workds hollow timber as well as earth.

So where can I find a tracker that will work below ground, has the size to suit a 12" dog, and has a range of 1000 yards?

Regards.... Peter

most of the trackers work on gps, obviously there will be no satalite signal once the dog has entered an earth so i think the long range trackers are out for terrier work, that is if there is not some device i haven't heard of yet. The bellman and flint collor is the longest range i know of for terriers at 60 or so meters, think the barryvox does a couple of meters more but not much in the difference. If you do find somthing let us all know tho!! ATB,

Titley Scientific used to make a tracking unit not much bigger than a "AA" battery, with good range. Unfortunately, they don't currently make anything that size that is rechargeable. They can make you something small enough to stick on a lizzard, a frog or a sparrow, but not with the attributes that I want.

Hence the question.