foxing calibers in between .17hmr and .223 rem?

I currently shoot fox with .17hmr which is great at ranges up to the 100yard mark but feel i could take a lot more foxes if i had something with a bit more reach and a bit more lead. The only problem is i dont think the firearms officer will let me have a .223 on the land i currently shoot as its quite small. Which calibers are smaller than .223 that he might be persuaded with letting me have and will have the extra reach? Also with cost effective rounds? .204 ruger, .220 swift, .222, .22-250 ????????? i am also adding a high seat on the land.

from smallest to largest mate

.17Rem long range rifle

.22Hornet150 yards max for fox

.204 Ruger simular to the .223 but a smaller bullet and slightly quicker

.222 Rem very good foxing bullet out to 250 yards

.223 Rem just a bit more powder than the .222 and slightly more range

.22-250Rem very fast and powerful, can shoot out to about 400 with practise

So depending on what you want mate, id say a .222 or .223 is a good start. Do a bit of research on the calibers and find peoples oppinions. But remember, you dont need a hammer to crack a nut.

if you have doubts about a 223 being granted on your land then the 204,220,222 will also be doubtful but the 22 hornet may be more acceptable it is alot slower than the others but a great foxing round. ithink it would be ok out to nearly 200yrds with practice.

the most cost effective solution is to load your own. all centrefire ammo is expensive now and i think that hornet ammo is no exception. There is also the .17 centrefire but you will find it hard to find a rifle chambered for that round now adays and even harder to find the ammo.

the high seat will make alot of dif to what you are able to get the land signed off for but make sure it is there when you get the visit and that it covers a good bit of ground, they will be looking for safe shots, the more the better but strickly speaking you only have to have one safe shot for the land to be passed.

.222 i use, and have taken plenty of foxes out at good ranges upto 200yds,

i once paced one out that i shot , and it was 239 good paces, was very happy with that........

the ammunition i been using lately is privy partizan, my rifle seems to shoot well with these, and they are one of the cheaper range ammo, but fair play i get pretty good results,so i'm happy,

all the best,

jay. :thumbs:

• Like 1

What you seem to be asking mate is what 'centerfire' can you get away with... wrong angle... don't ask you feo what he will 'allow' you to have - tell him what you want. "I am applying for a variation for a .223 for fox and vermin control". Justifiable 'reason why' is what its all about.The land block isn't that important when a high seat is added to the equation.

imo i would forget 17 calibre centrefire rifles and the 204 centrefire rifles unless you reload to get the best out of them. stick with 222 or 223. if you do put a high seat in.

then you will have more chance to get a higher calibre.

good number of factory ammo about for the 223. and the 222 ammo is still easy to get. regardless of what people say about them

Hi mate, .22 hornet is good to 200 yds especially if you home load or use hornady 35gn vmax,.204 is the fastest commercialy loaded round, good for 350+yds as is .22-250 and .220 swift,.222 and .223 slightly less umph but still good to 250+yds,I would say the hornet would be a good starting point,and really is a cracking little fox round but to get the best from it you really need to reload it,try for a .222 mate and you can also shoot small deer species in England and roe in scotland with it.

Charlie caller !

Have you not heard of a certain .17 Rem in 20 Gr ?

Or .223 WSSM

Yes of course have you heard of .218 bee,221 cheetah,.17 rem fireball,.22br,.20tac, shall I go on? I am just trying to narrow things down to the common calibres for foxing, dont think there is any need to over egg the cake by entering the realm of wildcat cartridges do you?

some calibers are good out to 350 yards,

but is the marksman??????

most are not. ( i am not pointing fingers at anyone).

i would stick with the "value for money" and wide range of projectiles and loads of the .222 and .223 if i were you. (and did not have the necessity for a .243).

waidmannsheil!!