1st cross vs 3/4 bred

alright lads, just a quick question for you. obviously a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie is going to be faster than the 1st cross but how does the 1st cross do on generally speed? are they quick enough to take rabbits on the lamp and and to catch bushed rabbits? and how do you think they would fair against the 3/4 greyhound bred??

atb

Jim

Guest born to run1083

3/4 arent as stubborn as first crosses and not as selective in what they want to run.would be more as an alrounder

I wouldn't say stubborn at all. I have a first x collie/grey doesn't stalk or pick runs, hits hedges after quarry. When in Ireland she took a Charlie, had two now single handed, it's her first season on the lamp at 11 month old she did a 15 on the lamp and her best being 24 now at 16month old, she took a photograph of a Bambi pricklet only around 50lb odd but had no problem in dealing with it ,so no doubt first crosses can catch and more on the lamp. But I find them sensitive. They know when your angry and feed off it and can act like nobs But as an all rounder I still think a 3/4 have a little more edge due to there extra gear but I think you sacrifice that stamina a first x has to get that extra pace but worth it in the long run as 1/4 collie is enough in any lurcher

Edited by born to run1083

and was just thinking, what would a 1/4 collie grey be like at bushing? would they get into cover and use their noses or just wait for a bolt??

Depends on the land a few of the 3 quarter breds i have seen have been big lumps and its only my opinion but a grey/collie back to whippet/grey would be my choice over a 3 quarter bred grey/collie .Then again i have had more succes with dogs bred out of collie/greys bred to other lurcher types.

like most things there are good and bad specimens of both, a lot will depend on how they've been brought up. i've seen good 1st crosses take hares single handed (pre ban of course) have you thought about the inbetween option? a 3/8 5/8 either way

like most things there are good and bad specimens of both, a lot will depend on how they've been brought up. i've seen good 1st crosses take hares single handed (pre ban of course) have you thought about the inbetween option? a 3/8 5/8 either way

Only going on wat i have seen the best collie crosses i have seen were bred this way.

Only going on wat i have seen the best collie crosses i have seen were bred this way.

a good 3/8 collie 5/8 greyhound could give you the speed and hunting instinct of the 3/4 and the brain of the 1st cross also some of the line bred collie crosses are a bit special

alright lads, just a quick question for you. obviously a 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie is going to be faster than the 1st cross but how does the 1st cross do on generally speed? are they quick enough to take rabbits on the lamp and and to catch bushed rabbits? and how do you think they would fair against the 3/4 greyhound bred??

atb

Jim

imo a good first cross would be better than a good 3/4 bred. and a first cross is fast enough to take rabbits on the lamp.