whippet vs lurcher

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the lurchers you have seen "backed off a bit at hedges", then they were poor specimens ! I think you have allready made your mind up on a Whippet, as why would you want a lurcher if you don't think

A whippet wont beat a purpose bred (and decent lurcher), but they have their place. You already have a whippet, so get a well bred rabbitng lurcher and your team will be complete.

More to do with the drive of an individual dog, than a breed/type.

Had both, and enjoyed working both, but the combination of the two working together takes some beating. Some collie/greyhounds may back off near the hedges and it can be frustrating, but on the other hand can save you visiting the vets (mine does it), i would never call her a poor specimen, just sensible...not everybodies cup of tea. I have just got another puppy, shes bedlington/whippet x collie/greyhound/whippet....something like this would suit you well. To me a lurcher has a bit more too it than a whippet. My bitch is only 11 weeks old, but even at this age you want to see her using her nose, really surprised me...not sure if its the beddy influence...she also loves getting into the garden hedge row...can't keep her from weaving in and out of it. I nearly bought a whippet, but after long consideration i decided on a lurcher again, it puts you off the amount you hear of that have died from running into walls or trees...i know people call this drive and determination,,,i call it quarry blindness....not for me. End of the day both will do the job. Good luck with your choice.

....With regards to insurance, i have just insured my puppy. The best i found was tesco.....you can have accident and injury...this was around £6 per month or accident/injury and illness....this was £9 something a month....the excess is £60.

Collie/greyhounds back off! You obviously didnt get the right mix. Was it from a working strain collie. Colliegreys will hunt for mile after mile on the hardest and most stubborn terrain, from the flats to rugged monutain tops, i havent heard the likes of such garbage that a colliex would back off from a hedge!!

As for your bitza pup sniffing the ground. Its 11weeks old man, its a big world out there, its learning, getting its footing wether it be a lurcher or a shitty westhighland white, all pups sniff the floor!!

The only descent thing to come out of this is you deciding that whippets are weak and die...Its not quarry blindness, its wimpish. Many lurcher die in running accidents, from borzoi x's(seen it happen in tanzania) to big bullx's..

Edited by thievesandscousers

It's this simple... Whippets were primarily bred for the track... Lurchers, the field... :yes:

Make your decision, though CP's got it right...! ;)

here here.... a man with words of wisdom for all the youngsters on the site(99%) ....

i really cant understand why the whippet get so much shite for a all out rabbiting dog then there hard to beat im not saying there the best but there not the worst either and as for them being whimpish you just no thats aload of shite whippets are well known for there heart and prey drive

whatever mate ive been around lurchers all my life my last 2 were bull x but i have a whippet now because it suits the land i run now i dont have any use for big heavy dogs anymore the bullx are away to my uncle who is giving them the graft they need im no expert on dogs but the whippet is everything i need

Edited by bryson
  • Like 1

whatever mate ive been around lurchers all my life my last 2 were bull x but i have a whippet now because it suits the land i run now i dont have any use for big heavy dogs anymore the bullx are away to my uncle who is giving them the graft they need im no expert on dogs but the whippet is everything i need

Thats great mate, and i am glad you have found the dog you want, plus didnt just cast your others away, and have found a good home and good work for them. It is all about terrain mate, but some go on about whippets as if they can handle every situation, which they cant.

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

If the lurchers you have seen "backed off a bit at hedges", then they were poor specimens ! I think you have allready made your mind up on a Whippet, as why would you want a lurcher if you don't think they have the drive ? Good luck with whatever you decide on :thumbs:

Cheers.

Poor specimen or a little bit brainer than some I rather have a brainy lurcher than a brainless dog that crashes into ever hedge in a pointless pursuit .

ATB Cookie

• Like 3

Get a lurcher whippet's break to easy laugh.png

What a crok of shite

Why, please back up your pheory....(that its a crok of shite)

if you could spell you`d be dangerous lol

Do you want to teach me. Oh i think i would rather leave it, when i was a lad english teachers were know for some sordid things! is this correct.

you tell me ?? is that the reason your a tail on here , ye been felt up by some sordid teacher lol :laugh:

Get a lurcher whippet's break to easy laugh.png

What a crok of shite

Why, please back up your pheory....(that its a crok of shite)

if you could spell you`d be dangerous lol

Do you want to teach me. Oh i think i would rather leave it, when i was a lad english teachers were know for some sordid things! is this correct.

you tell me ?? is that the reason your a tail on here , ye been felt up by some sordid teacher lol :laugh:

correct, it happened on the fens in the early 70's, in a dyke, while we were planning an attack. :D

Guest born to run1083

get another whippet mate but a lurcher could of got a black thorne in the eye aswell

My first x collie grey had a branch stuck in her eye few weeks back after hiting the hedges flat out after quarry. Luckily no serious damage done. Regarding the post, as ideation said get yourself a Lurcher then your complete