whippet vs lurcher

thinking of bringing a bitch into mine and my whippets life cant decide on a whippet or lurcher. i would love another whippet but in 2 seasons i have paid some seriouse vets bills the latest being he got a blackthorn in his eye which turned into an ulcer. the bills are not the problem. the problem is he will not quit wat ever is in front of him. only been out with a few lurchers in my life but noticed they backed off abit on hedges and watnot wats your opinion bare in mind im only a rabbit man

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If the lurchers you have seen "backed off a bit at hedges", then they were poor specimens ! I think you have allready made your mind up on a Whippet, as why would you want a lurcher if you don't think

A whippet wont beat a purpose bred (and decent lurcher), but they have their place. You already have a whippet, so get a well bred rabbitng lurcher and your team will be complete.

More to do with the drive of an individual dog, than a breed/type.

If the lurchers you have seen "backed off a bit at hedges", then they were poor specimens ! I think you have allready made your mind up on a Whippet, as why would you want a lurcher if you don't think they have the drive ? Good luck with whatever you decide on :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 3

Pet insurance might be worth investing in mate with the whippet being so full on? A good whippet/Beddy could just be what your looking for? Great rabbiting dogs and plenty of drive too! ATB Andy

Had both, and enjoyed working both, but the combination of the two working together takes some beating. Some collie/greyhounds may back off near the hedges and it can be frustrating, but on the other hand can save you visiting the vets (mine does it), i would never call her a poor specimen, just sensible...not everybodies cup of tea. I have just got another puppy, shes bedlington/whippet x collie/greyhound/whippet....something like this would suit you well. To me a lurcher has a bit more too it than a whippet. My bitch is only 11 weeks old, but even at this age you want to see her using her nose, really surprised me...not sure if its the beddy influence...she also loves getting into the garden hedge row...can't keep her from weaving in and out of it. I nearly bought a whippet, but after long consideration i decided on a lurcher again, it puts you off the amount you hear of that have died from running into walls or trees...i know people call this drive and determination,,,i call it quarry blindness....not for me. End of the day both will do the job. Good luck with your choice.

....With regards to insurance, i have just insured my puppy. The best i found was tesco.....you can have accident and injury...this was around £6 per month or accident/injury and illness....this was £9 something a month....the excess is £60.

Edited by canaliculata
  • Like 1

I personally wouldnt really see a dog thats backs off the odd hedge as a poor specimen, when it could well be using its brains it all depends on the situation. Obviously if its on the back off a catchable bunny them it could be at fault, but too many dogs plough into hedges for lack of brains when there was no chance of a take and written off for weeks with an injury. A good lurcher would imo most likely have more brains than a whippet but that doesnt mean it wont have vets bills. If you are running a dog, i think you have to accept the possible costs and the fact the dog will most likely have some injuries and do your best to minimise them and insurance is probably the best option. Good luck with your choice.

• Like 2