Mooching/Bushing

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i have two working bushing terriers. both will work any cover and push out game for either gun or lurchers one excells at drystone walling some times even marking 20 plus rabbits by herself, both terr

i have been fortunate to see that walling terrier of woodgas first hand,, we parked in a gatway , got out got the ferretbox on,, and the terrier was already marking a rabbit in the wall next to the va

Terriers will find hares as sure as night follows day but spaniels have a different method of working they quarter the feilds covering more ground picking up scent in the air as much as on the ground

Posted Images

For me mooching is best when dawn and dusk kind of come to us. Like when its about 6.30 a.m. and just getting light. Otherwise all the rabbits are too close to cover.

Yeah i agree with you mate, i like to go out about and half hour before sun up and then go from there, at least at this time some of the bunnys have a false sense of security thinking theyre still covered by dark.

poacher class picture,just was thinking would a good terrier also find the long ears and rise them in rushy fields and heavy cover,say you woud net a real good one for that,would be great to bring on a pup a good terrier

Terriers will find hares as sure as night follows day but spaniels have a different method of working they quarter the feilds covering more ground picking up scent in the air as much as on the ground were i have found some terriers tend to follow i line more.A tuned in spaniel on hares though can some times be a nightmare if your working them close in thick cover on rabbits and they get a whiff of an hare that might be sat 50yds out in some set aside.atb dell
  • Like 2

Ive always wondered how a terrier would match up to a good cocker/springer for bushing aswell.

A good bushing terrier will easyly match up to a cocker or springer and i have seen some cracking bushing terriers over the years.One incident years ago wile out rabbiting with my springers and a mate with his terriers that turned into a fekin nightmare of a day his terriers dropping in an old drain and it was eight hours later we got them out put me off useing terriers for bushing.

i have two working bushing terriers. both will work any cover and push out game for either gun or lurchers one excells at drystone walling some times even marking 20 plus rabbits by herself, both terriers peg rabbits nearly every outing.

the lurchers know to follow the terriers and collect all the rabbits what leave hastily :laugh:

the ground we work is open moor and fields of tussuck reeds watching them work the cover amazes me considering we are on the move for a full day.they never stop from jumping out the motor to being put back in :thumbs:.

an average day will be around 20 rabbits ,if the terriers had longer legs the amount would be considerably larger due to the number they flush :cray: the scenery and the fact i have access to some beautifull moorland makes the number irrelevant you cant beat a good day time mooch to bring down the stress levels :laugh:

• Like 6

i have been fortunate to see that walling terrier of woodgas first hand,, we parked in a gatway , got out got the ferretbox on,, and the terrier was already marking a rabbit in the wall next to the van,, 2 mins later and a few rocks shifted,, and that rabbit was in the bag,, :yes:

the finest of sports bushing bunnys, and catching them :thumbs:

• Like 3

Just wondering lads,would a good terrier find a hare out in the field in the form,would those terriers flush many hares in rushy fields and heavy cover,or would they miss many,and those all terrier follow on the chase,just seems to be good crack the bit of mooching and busing cheers lads

ive seen some terriers find hares in theres seats best ive seen was a spainal in CARR rotherham :thumbs: :thumbs:

This one mate T.Bs Gwen100_0677-1.jpg

:thumbs: Good pic Daz

i have two working bushing terriers. both will work any cover and push out game for either gun or lurchers one excells at drystone walling some times even marking 20 plus rabbits by herself, both terriers peg rabbits nearly every outing.

the lurchers know to follow the terriers and collect all the rabbits what leave hastily :laugh:

the ground we work is open moor and fields of tussuck reeds watching them work the cover amazes me considering we are on the move for a full day.they never stop from jumping out the motor to being put back in :thumbs:.

an average day will be around 20 rabbits ,if the terriers had longer legs the amount would be considerably larger due to the number they flush :cray: the scenery and the fact i have access to some beautifull moorland makes the number irrelevant you cant beat a good day time mooch to bring down the stress levels :laugh:

ive seen your terriers at work mate, that what inspired me to get a terrier in the first place!the day we spent bushing and dry stone walling was one of my all time best day time hunting ive had.

ive got me patterdale and now thinking of getting a springer as well.

the weather hasn't really been anywere near for me to drag you out again on the lamp but maybe we could have another days mooch sometime soon.