hound

thinking of getting an hound pup to put foxs to ground was thinking maybe beagle x harrier or beagle spaniel some thing along those lines but would like it to work pretty close not too far a head like a fox hound would... what cross would you people go for if you wanted a dog of this ilk ???? cheers o t....

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

From the different types i've seen, the Beagle Spaniel crosses put enough pressure on, especially in cover. The best of also had a drop of terrier in the mix too, they'd face anything and above all wo

Yer, I suppose so mate. It's about a local lad, who is probably one of this citys finest dog men. When I was a kid he kept some of the finest lurchers and terriers around, in and out of the city, no o

be doin very well to have one hound driving foxes to ground.Lets not forget it wll have to mark aswell if your hunting cover and it hard to get one hound to drive foxes to ground never mind mark them

thinking of getting an hound pup to put foxs to ground was thinking maybe beagle x harrier or beagle spaniel some thing along those lines but would like it to work pretty close not too far a head like a fox hound would... what cross would you people go for if you wanted a dog of this ilk ???? cheers o t....

You would be better with a hound cross mate but still dont think 1 would put fox to ground they really need to feel pressure to go to ground and i wouldnt recommend a hound pup ye would be better of with something entered :thumbs:

From the different types i've seen, the Beagle Spaniel crosses put enough pressure on, especially in cover. The best of also had a drop of terrier in the mix too, they'd face anything and above all worked well alongside Lurchers, if brought on right, stayed close enough for me and my dogs to be right in the mix. Seen too many 'all hound' crosses work too far away, then pick up a line and go and be difficult to keep close too and that IMO is essential in 'smash and grab' hunting!

;)

• Like 3

From the different types i've seen, the Beagle Spaniel crosses put enough pressure on, especially in cover. The best of also had a drop of terrier in the mix too, they'd face anything and above all worked well alongside Lurchers, if brought on right, stayed close enough for me and my dogs to be right in the mix. Seen too many 'all hound' crosses work too far away, then pick up a line and go and be difficult to keep close too and that IMO is essential in 'smash and grab' hunting!

wink.png

cheers for the advice bo

;)

:hmm: A moat spings to mind :hmm::laugh:

;)

Oh you know it.... :yes:;)

;)

Oh you know it.... :yes:;)

private joke ?? :laugh::blink:

Yer, I suppose so mate. It's about a local lad, who is probably one of this citys finest dog men. When I was a kid he kept some of the finest lurchers and terriers around, in and out of the city, no one was keener either, a Scouse legend is Ste!

I remember in the early 80's he said he was gonna put his best terrier bitch to a good spaniel dog and work the pups as bushing dogs. To be honest I thought he had lost the fecking plot, I just couldn't see it, as he worked some of the best working terriers around but he bred 'em and those dogs abilitys were up for all to see, no one he hunted with had any complaints!

He then added beagle blood, again from the best stock and these dogs really did the job, working like a mini pack of hounds, they worked close and us lurcher lads seen some action! He was litterally overbooked with offers of days out, from far and wide! His blood has travelled all over this country and has never let him, or the lads out, down!

I can only speak from expierience and say that Ste's dogs have given me some of my finest daytime sport. He did it long before anyone i've ever heard of and now, in a 'boom' of this type of cross his dogs have seen many others off.

Sadly Ste ain't been to well of late and I, along with many others, wish him a speedy recovery, though I fear his days with his mini pack are over, a book could and should be written about his deeds (then again, maybe not, ha!!) But that type of dog, if bred right can really make a difference... Thank god, some have the forsight to do it..... ;)

• Like 3

Yer, I suppose so mate. It's about a local lad, who is probably one of this citys finest dog men. When I was a kid he kept some of the finest lurchers and terriers around, in and out of the city, no one was keener either, a Scouse legend is Ste!

I remember in the early 80's he said he was gonna put his best terrier bitch to a good spaniel dog and work the pups as bushing dogs. To be honest I thought he had lost the fecking plot, I just couldn't see it, as he worked some of the best working terriers around but he bred 'em and those dogs abilitys were up for all to see, no one he hunted with had any complaints!

He then added beagle blood, again from the best stock and these dogs really did the job, working like a mini pack of hounds, they worked close and us lurcher lads seen some action! He was litterally overbooked with offers of days out, from far and wide! His blood has travelled all over this country and has never let him, or the lads out, down!

I can only speak from expierience and say that Ste's dogs have given me some of my finest daytime sport. He did it long before anyone i've ever heard of and now, in a 'boom' of this type of cross his dogs have seen many others off.

Sadly Ste ain't been to well of late and I, along with many others, wish him a speedy recovery, though I fear his days with his mini pack are over, a book could and should be written about his deeds (then again, maybe not, ha!!) But that type of dog, if bred right can really make a difference... Thank god, some have the forsight to do it..... ;)

thanks for the explanation bo :thumbs: :thumbs:

its hard with half a dozen hounds running em in so with one it will be hard going getting em to ground regular but it will happen,as for marking in a old good marking hound will do the job but so can a decent terrier or lurcher so no point keeping a hound just for marking jmo,what you reckon old timer,have you had hounds befor out of interest.

its hard with half a dozen hounds running em in so with one it will be hard going getting em to ground regular but it will happen,as for marking in a old good marking hound will do the job but so can a decent terrier or lurcher so no point keeping a hound just for marking jmo,what you reckon old timer,have you had hounds befor out of interest.

no not hounds mate ive run a few terriers though mate for bushing rabbits when a was young seen beagles work a few times ... couldnt get in penine hunt other year when i wanted to lol lol..... done a fair bit of digging though but struggling to find foxs to ground so thought might ad a hound to my menagarie to see if it would help me bag a few foxs but tell truth i dont know much about hounds or the hunting of em though a mates got a cross bred an thats handy enough at bushing them to ground just thought id ask here for advice before i went an bought a pup... thanks every one for in put ... atb o t....