scope question

I'm looking for a better scope. at the moment i have got a richter optik 3-9 x 50 ... and when i was zeroing this scope at 100 yards i had to walk all the way to the target to see the grouping . what mag scope would i need to see the grouping from the scope.? would a 4-16 x 50 let me see the grouping or would i need to go for a higher mag of 6 -24 x 50?...

atb mark

Hi Mark i know all about that prob, i use a spotting scope most of the time, i dont tend to get on too weel with high mag scopes so i stick to the 3-9x50 or 40, somedays i can see a group from 100yrds other days i cant, the spotting scope i got was from ebay cost me about 20 quid and it is 28x60 so i can see every thing with that.

The actual dimensions of the scope won't actually make you see any better unless the lenses are better. A lower magnification scope with glorious lenses will often allow you to see things that a more powerful magnification with poor lenses won't. Simply changing the numbers isn't enough - to get better vision, you have to actually get better optics, not just bigger numbers.

A spotting scope will be your cheapest option if you are happy with your scope. I could see the fall of shot at 150 yards with my standard 6x42 Nova, so you should be able to see the holes with 9x.

Edited by Acuspell

I agree with Acuspell, its not always the magnification but the quality of the glass.

On my hmr i have a Hawke scope, 6-18x44 for about £80, its OK but even on highest zoom its hard to see shots; on my last .223 i had a 3-9x50 Marchwood scope and I could see my group of 2.5" at 260yds clear as a bell and thats because the glass was fast and clear.

Infact I have that scope sitting in a box somehwere suprplus to my needs :thumbs: Now not a lot of people know about Marchwood or their scopes, lets say they put their own name on some of the scopes they import, now go and look up Marchwood and see what they import :thumbs:http://www.marchwooduk.co.uk/

If your interested, or anyone else for that matter I may be up for selling my Marchwood Scope and happy to PM some pics.

to clearly seeing small cal bullet holes at 100 go for 20 x plus . i run a leupold mk4 4.5 x 14 x 50 30 mm tube and i struggle to spot hmr holes but with my mk 4 8.5 x 25 and can see 17 cal holes no probs.both scopes hav parallax adj.great to have the mag to clearly identify your target if unsure whilst lamping.i have known people who use low mag scopes shoot a cat in a hedge by mistake .but thats the crap irresponsible idiots not the scope.my point is i can identify a target at 200 at night when a low mag scope woulg struggle. you can get great scopes moch cheaper than leupold i just love there customer care.

atb mike

Edited by zx10mike
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input ...deciding to.go for a nikko stirling gameking 6-24 x 44 or a JSR Target Pro 6-24x44 and if i dont get on with it.. will save up and get a mtc mamba 4-16 x 50 .( have read they are quite good ). also will take my 800 x 60 astrononmical telescope with me next time i go and do a bit of target practice