Helping out a friend

Ive not long been in from helping out a friend in a bit of bother.

I was at home putting my feet about ready to tuck into a roast dinner when the phone rang. A good friend was on the other end in a bit of a panic. His 17month old black bitch had done a runner out of the back garden and after looking for about hour and a half heard her baying and getting stuck in behind their house at the top of an old pond. Problem was that my friend was due in work at 5 (it was now twenty to) and being a door man working a sinlge man club he had to be there. Could i go meet his wife in the wood asap?? Of course i could!

Got my bitch, gun and gear and got up there as quick as i could without destroying my motor going up the pot hole ridden track. Arrived to find his wife almost having a heart attack and in a bit of a fluster as the terrier was getting a lot of stick. I found were the terrier was and the back looked a bit like swiss cheese as the dog had no collar on and they had tried digging it before i got there. Anyway i told his wife to go get warm in the house and il sort it out. I could see the arse of the dog in on the the holes so i opened up and dug on a bit and managed to pull her out. Put her away and collar mine up incase the quarry moved on. Located where they were and broke through on top on my terriers head at 1.0, easy digging in very light sand. Now i kne where everything was i started blocking the other holes near it so i could then lift my bitch and dispatch the quarry. As i was blocking up i had a lamp shining in my face abnd a voice saying "HELLO???". I shit myself, proped the shovel in the tube and went to see who it was. Turns out it was the farmer who is fine with terriers but as i found out who he was i heard an almighty ruck from the earth and then the under growth crashing. The bloody thing bolted out and i just about grabbed my bitch as she flew from the earth! Gutted as i wanted the pup to have a rag!

Not to worry, main thing was to get the pup out safe and sound. Tidyed up, caught my breath and walked back to the cottage for a cuppa and to wash the pup up. She will be sore for a while but still had her tail wagging.It wasnt much fun doing it in the dark but i was prepared this time with my fishing head lamp! My friends wife asked me what beer i drank but i told her not to be daft as her husband would have done the same if i was in a tight spot.

I would be very pleased if she was my pup! At home now cleaning sand out of my .410. Bloody horrible stuff.

All the best.

Edited by OldNog
  • Like 3

Cheers guys. His wife gave him a quick call, he was gutted he couldnt have been there to see the end of her first dig, but thats the way it goes!

JayJay, i think anyone who works terriers would help anyone out if they needed it, regardless to whether it was for a mate. It was only a small place thankfully and the tubes ran along the bank, not into it.

i think anyone who works terriers would help anyone out if they needed it, regardless to whether it was for a mate. It was only a small place thankfully and the tubes ran along the bank, not into it.

That quote there is the mark of a true terrierman mate :notworthy:

Cheers guys.

Bearinator - im far from a proper terrierman, i just get out and enjoy myself.

Mudd - it was good fun, bit exciting....apart from having a lamp shone in my face. Got me kacks soaking in some oven cleaners at the moment to get the stains out haha.