Looking for advice

Whip them off now, most lads remove them as pups.

you would be surprised how many carnt be botherd or dont know how to, next time theres a litter in the for sales section ask the question :laugh: 9 out of 10 will still be on.

If you dont want to get them of you can strap them up if the dog is prone to damaging them...i had a dog break both of his year's ago..all i did was wrap them up with steri tape with a bit of insulation tape over the top to keep them dry..after around the 3wk mark he was spot on and never ever damaged them again..but all dog are differant..

Dew claws can be taken off at any age, the difference is that in a 2 day old pup they can be nipped off easily with no anaesthetic as a puppy's nervous system isn't fully developed and it doesn't really bother them much at all. Older than 2-3 days you need anaesthetic. I've got several dogs with dew claws, never had a problem. Dew claws are only a problem if they are very long, complete with pads, and stick out from the leg a lot. It can also depend on the breeding of the dog: many Collies have tiny, tight to the leg dew claws which never cause a problem at all. Some sighthounds have big ones, others don't.

The cost of removing them as an older pup or adult depends on the vet, bearing in mind that a full GA would cost around £50 before they even start surgery. Personally, if they're not causing a problem, I'd leave them on. If they start to cause a problem, get them off.

I keep them on my dogs. Every lurcher I have had (40 years worth) has had its dew claws, I haven't had anything but one slight cut one in all those years. That cut was simply washed and wrapped and was fine in a week. On flinty ground and soft skinned dogs, I can see it being more of a problem, on grass it shouldn't be.