What year did saluki x's start appearing on the Coursing scene?

Would have thought theyd have been about in the sixties if not earlier first strains of lurcher i grew up with during the seventies were sal/grey and collie mix they were as popular with the locals as much as the deerhound collie types.

Cugger Edwards was the man that bred them he went on to buy in a pure about the same time as Russ got prince the sire to eve Cugger bred a lot of first crosses from trevor as well as to a saluki/collie type the pups from which made better animals.

There was also a pure that came on newark gypsy site in 75 hed learnt to keep off the runways on aerodromes and was run hard he was put over a massive amount of bitches during this time i believe one old friend keeps dogs from this line still i bought him as a blown dog but he just needed rest and good food but never bred from him as his eyelashes were inturned and had to be plucked for him to see properly he ended his days at my dads :thumbs:

• Like 1

As the title says when did saluki crosses start appearing on the UK coursing scene - who claims the first?

IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME WELL THE FIRST TIME I SAW SALUKI GREYHOUNDS WAS THE MID SEVENTYS,CHRIS QUINLAN HAD A SALUKI I THINK IT WAS CALLED RIPPER,HE ALSO HAD A 29 INCH BLACK AND WHITE SALUKI CROSS CALLED OSCAR THAT COULD GIVE THE HARES A RUN,,ITS ON VIDEO SOMEWHERE RUNNING DAYTIME AND LAMPING FOXES,,.

must have been around in the 70,s first one i had was 79 .80 a sandy coulored bitch ,i bought of some traveller boys , she lived till she was 17 years old ,

she was lightly fethered . a fantastic bitch ,probebly the best dog i ever owned ;;

Crim Smith

What a great old feller, ran with him and a few barnsley lad 10 yrs ago or more.

loved his coursing

Yes another great dog man and caracture no longer with us.The crossfeild tavern pub he had was a good boozer in the 80s and a gang of us went to see his dog run [whiskey judge] in the waterloo cup in the early 80s.

the first one i owned i bought was at lambourne lurcher show of some fella, that was in 1980, lambourne was stopped in 1981 by thames valley police and berkshire council,

£70 i paid for it, a smooth coated red bitch,

theres a fella local to us a dog dealer who was dealing in them saluki crosses that is in the early to mid seventies selling them all over the country didnt sell many in wales mind .tbh most in wales wouldnt touch a saluki cross in them days .